My bent shaft saga continues

jsharr

So I got the call Friday that my mower was ready.  Got to the shop right at closing and got her loaded up.  Still has a bit of vibration, but not bad.  Total bill for straightening the shaft and two new blades was $80, so not bad there either.

Got it home, unloaded it and fired it up.  Started easily.  Vibrates at idle but smooths out when the blade is engaged.  Mowed fine.

Had to leave town Friday night to get Ryan from camp and see my parents, two birds one stone sort of thing.   Then had to rush back home Saturday afternoon to get Wade packed for Scout camp on Sunday.  He had to be at the school they were meeting at in full uniform at 8 am on Sunday with backpack, cot, day pack and camp chair.

So it was hectic weekend  Planned to mow yesterday evening at I spent the day with Ryan, installing a new computer and bottle holder on his bike and then going for ride at some local trails.  During that ride, my drive side pedal backed out (never had this happen to me in 40 years of riding) and it damaged the threads, so I did the walk of shame back to the car while Ryan and some others kids and dads finished the ride.

Went home to mow and Martha told me she would mow the yard on Monday, so we went to a friends to drink and swim and grill.  Fun times were had by all.

Fast forward to today.  Phone rings, it is the wife asking what the two metal pipes with covers are next to our air conditioner ( I explain to her that they are the clean outs for our drain line for the house.  Turns out she did not see them and ran over them with the newly straightened shaft and new blades......

The moral of this story is ?  Hell if I know.  Shit happens, deal with it?  No good deed goes unpunished?  If you run over stuff with your husbands newly fixed mower think of creative things to do in bed that night?

Discuss.

This whole episode sounds to me like a highly personal problem you should work out discretely with your wife.  The interwebz does not seem like the proper forum to resolve issues where your wife repeatedly bends your shaft by striking it against metal pipes.

To be fair, my shaft was straight until I rather indiscreetly had a dalliance with the pear tree stump in the side yard.

Also, I tend to do the majority of the manscaping and bush trimming and what not in our family, so I cannot expect my wife to know where every orifice is and which ones are plugged, etc.

You might be able to fix the crank arm with a helicoil

I was able to clean out the threads and then ran the pedal in from the back side several times.

Then put it in from the front side.  Bit hard to start but then it caught and seated.  If it does not hold, I will try a helicoil.  This is on a 1992 Trek 8000, old square taper Shimano Deore crankset

I was able to clean out the threads and then ran the pedal in from the back side several times.

Then put it in from the front side.  Bit hard to start but then it caught and seated.  If it does not hold, I will try a helicoil.  This is on a 1992 Trek 8000, old square taper Shimano Deore crankset

I have a set of Deore XT cranks from the mid90s if you need them. I think they are only 170mm though.

• Heart 1