Show me your bikes

Zealot

3 minutes ago, Zealot said:

So, where is this taken?

This is at a little county park (Clayton Park, Imlaystown NJ) about half an hour east of our house - I frequented this place when we lived at our first house.  It's rolling terrain and not too technical so you could ride it fast.  I would typically ride a 5-mile loop twice, once clockwise then once back the other way. 

The steepest hill on that route is just beyond the wooden bridge - I remember how excited I was the first time I ever made it without stopping.  Now I kind of doubt I could do that but I'm anxious to find out.

Now that my car has a way to carry three bikes I'm working on taking the kids there.  I was there a couple years ago and it was much the same as I remembered though one segment of the trail had been reserved for hikers.

• Heart 1

^^^  It takes big cojones to cross seven mile bridge on a bike.  Having said that, is that the new bridge because the one I remember was much narrower.  Many crashes were caused by cars and trucks going in opposite directions blowing one of them into the concrete with the side wake.

I've done the full length of the bridge at 110 mph however.............in the wee hours of the morning.

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Yes, afraid so. Time for a 12 step program, huh?

Nah, keep on keepen  on!  I just purchased a 70s era Schwinn.  That makes 6 bikes in my basement. My wife told me I needed an intervention.  I showed her your post... ?

• Heart 2

Just now, Further said:

Here's one of my old Giant, first "real" bicycle I bought. The picture was taken on the bridge between Chincoteague and Assateague. My wife's happy place.

bike on bridge.JPG

I take back the first real bike comment, I bought a Raleigh 10 speed in the late 60's, didn't ride it much, sold it and used the money for a trail bike

Bought a Peugeot 10 speed in about 71 and rode the wheels off it. Sold it when I moved out on my own, and was dirt poor for a while.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

Nah, keep on keepen  on!  I just purchased a 70s era Schwinn.  That makes 6 bikes in my basement. My wife told me I needed an intervention.  I showed her your post... ?

Yeah, and there is another that I just finished building this week that I did not include. I have a couple of the bikes above listed for sale to try and thin the herd, but no nibbles so far.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Hey @sheep_herder, what’s on your left leg in the pic?

I now wear braces on both legs due to high arches.  Started with one brace and an in shoe orthotic and over time needed braces on both legs.  Prior to getting these, I had constant ankle problems.  Thus, I now ride platform pedals on all of my bikes. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

I now wear braces on both legs due to high arches.  Started with one brace and an in shoe orthotic and over time needed braces on both legs.  Prior to getting these, I had constant ankle problems.  Thus, I now ride platform pedals on all of my bikes. 

Adapt and overcome!!  ?

• Awesome 1

On 7/26/2019 at 3:03 PM, maddmaxx said:

^^^  It takes big cojones to cross seven mile bridge on a bike.  Having said that, is that the new bridge because the one I remember was much narrower.  Many crashes were caused by cars and trucks going in opposite directions blowing one of them into the concrete with the side wake.

I've done the full length of the bridge at 110 mph however.............in the wee hours of the morning.

Yes, I don’t think any old bridges are in use today other than walking/fishing with the center channel cut away for boat passage. New bridges have the side area, glass and debris was away with rain. Picture of old bridge, note fresh water or Keys was limited to that pipe. Can’t imagine a 60’s vintage car on that.

68BED6ED-D5A8-434B-8768-5DA65C286361.jpeg

60A22F72-6ECF-4705-ADF0-C5C29BFB40A1.jpeg

• Heart 3

^^^  I was stationed in Key West for 2 years mid 60's.  The old Bridge was the only way in or out by auto.  As an aside, I believe that the spans that were dropped on the old bridge were part of the movie "True Lies".  I did not have an auto in those days, but the speed trip was made in another sailor's 65 Chevy II modified for racing and then converted back into a street car.  We were on an overnight run to Fort Lauderdale and back for hamburgers??????  7 miles of bridge just over 2 cars wide with concrete walls and no place to go if something happened.  I would not have attempted that old bridge on a bicycle for any amount of money.  It was notorious for killing people.  The concrete walls were scarred with the signs of old wrecks.

They replaced the old Bahia Honda bridge as well.  That bridge was also in the movie as the highway at the north end was where they landed a Harrier Jet.

South Florida was a lot less crowded back in the 60's.  The Keys were bright jewels to explore.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

^^^  I was stationed in Key West for 2 years mid 60's.  The old Bridge was the only way in or out by auto.  As an aside, I believe that the spans that were dropped on the old bridge were part of the movie "True Lies".  I did not have an auto in those

They replaced the old Bahia Honda bridge as well.  That bridge was also in the movie as the highway at the north end was where they landed a Harrier Jet.

South Florida was a lot less crowded back in the 60's.  The Keys were bright jewels to explore.

Actually, the picture was the old Bahia Honda bridge, accesed grime the State Park a couple years ago 

Mine is their Via Nirone comfort road bike. I think the dealer called it plush. The rider position is more upright. 

I’ve never been pleased with the drops that stop short of a place to actually rest my hands and drop down. 

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Mine is their Via Nirone comfort road bike. I think the dealer called it plush. The rider position is more upright. 

I’ve never been pleased with the drops that stop short of a place to actually rest my hands and drop down. 

It looks like you have pretty deep drops on your bike. You could go with a shallower drop so the reach isn’t so far.  But... I set my bike up so that the most comfortable position is on the hoods.  Im rarely on the drops.