The trouble with automatic flushing toilets

JerrySTL

They don't work none too good when the power goes out.

Many buildings in the area where I work had a power failure yesterday. Emergency backup generators came on for critical circuits but toilets aren't critical. Also some of the AC system didn't work. Let's just say that some of the bathrooms got ripe. Fortunately I knew about a bathroom with the old-fashion manual flushing handles.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

19 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This.  Ours have battery powered flush valves

No batteries in ours. Also the push buttons don't work with the power out.

In one of the bathrooms they couldn't get one of the automatic systems working for one of the urinals a while back. So they installed an old-fashioned flush handle. The problem is that guys expect it to flush automatically so they just walk away. Smells after a while.

In another bathroom the sensors for the toilets are too sensitive. If you even rock back and forth a little the damn thing flushes while you are still sitting on it splashing water you. So people stuff toilet paper into the sensor port and you have to push the button to flush. Of course some people don't know this and leave without flushing. Smells after a while x 2.

We didn't have issues like this with outhouses when I was a boy.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

In one of the bathrooms they couldn't get one of the automatic systems working for one of the urinals a while back. So they installed an old-fashioned flush handle. The problem is that guys expect it to flush automatically so they just walk away. Smells after a while.

In another bathroom the sensors for the toilets are too sensitive. If you even rock back and forth a little the damn thing flushes while you are still sitting on it splashing water you. So people stuff toilet paper into the sensor port and you have to push the button to flush. Of course some people don't know this and leave without flushing. Smells after a while x 2.

This is true.  Everyone expected the smell and wasn't surprised.

25 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

So at our office everything is automatic.  Lights come one when you enter the bathroom, toilets flush automagically and the sinks and soap dispenser are also automagic.  I have become so used to this wizardry that I find myself waving my hands around under faucets at other restrooms waiting for the magic to happen.  People must think I am crazy or really hard core about water conservation.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Sounds like gov'ment facility.

1 minute ago, Rattlecan said:

Another modern day problem our fore fathers didn't have to deal with.

outhouse.jpg

Forefathers?

I had a neighbor growing up who had no indoor plumbing...  When I was 19 I rented a cabin in the woods that had no running water.  I was at least able to string up a light out there for night time use.  Wintertime was fun.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Forefathers?

I had a neighbor growing up who had no indoor plumbing...  When I was 19 I rented a cabin in the woods that had no running water.  I was at least able to string up a light out there for night time use.  Wintertime was fun.

...when I was living with the other hippies in MN, someone came up with a styrofoam winter gasket for the outhouse toilet seat. Not making this up. :) 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

They don't work none too good when the power goes out.

Many buildings in the area where I work had a power failure yesterday. Emergency backup generators came on for critical circuits but toilets aren't critical.

Just dump the waste out the window, guys...play fire department out the window.  Practice your aim...Bombs away!  They will rethink that non-critical status ASAP.

• Heart 1

Another issue that most of you don’t worry or think about is those fancy doors with the magnetic locks and those with electrified locks go out during power outages.

The building may be unsecured as well depending on the locks & how they are set up.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Another issue that most of you don’t worry or think about is those fancy doors with the magnetic locks and those with electrified locks go out during power outages.

The building may be unsecured as well depending on the locks & how they are set up.

We had the opposite problem at one place where I worked. When the power went off there was a battery backup to keep the doors locked. However there was no way to open the doors to get out. Think about what would happen if a fire caused a power outage? We found the battery in the ceiling and disconnected it. 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

So at our office everything is automatic.  Lights come one when you enter the bathroom, toilets flush automagically and the sinks and soap dispenser are also automagic.  I have become so used to this wizardry that I find myself waving my hands around under faucets at other restrooms waiting for the magic to happen.  People must think I am crazy or really hard core about water conservation.

I work on a 3 building campus and my building is like yours, everything in the bathroom has motion sensors.  However the other two building have manual knobs on everything. 

I do the same thing when I use the restroom in the other buildings.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

We had the opposite problem at one place where I worked. When the power went off there was a battery backup to keep the doors locked. However there was no way to open the doors to get out. Think about what would happen if a fire caused a power outage? We found the battery in the ceiling and disconnected it. 

Poor design & install & against fire code. 

We have them set up so critical areas like IDF rooms stay secured in the event of an outage but every perimeter or marked exit must be able to exit in the event of power outage.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, late said:

Yeah, you go get the shovel.

There is also the term 'honey dipper'

Remember that privies were not just a rural thing.  City lots didn't have 'relocation' space. 

Out in the country the system was to start with the outhouse as far back as practicable.  When full you move it forward just a bit and dig a new hole in front covering the hole left in the back with that dirt.  When done slide the outhouse over the new hole.  You could do this every several years and still have room to 'expand'.

• Heart 1