I demand an apology! RANT

Dirtyhip

?

So went shopping for camp food yesterday.  Needed to buy some junk and bread for noshing on.  Every single package of cookies left me feeling very offended by the food and grocery industry.  Two reasons, 1) the packaging 2) The host of vile ingredients I can't even understand.  

This angers me.  I demand an apology from the food industry people like Nabisco, Orowheat and the like,.

So, I made my own cinnamon rolls, bread and cookies (Long fermented sourdough cinnamon rolls, and some peanut butter cookies.  I did cave and bought a pre-made loaf of sourdough that was less vile than the rest. 

Still, the prices, the packaging and the constant addition of corn in my cookie made me mad at the grocer and the industry.

Just stop it with the garbage and plastic clamshell.

• Awesome 2

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Don't ruin it for the rest of us!!!!!

I've been happily deceiving myself that this rickety old planet can last another 50 years before it becomes a sci-fi horror flick, but I might have to scale my estimate back by 50% or more :(

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Mmmmmm.  These and Oreo (Double Stuff) are a staple on every camping trip. 

See the source image

Until your son eats the entire package of family sized double stuff oreos and then pukes at night.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Food rants are funny.  The simple solution is, don't buy them.  There are organic cookies out there, especially in Oregon!  

Agreed.  I did look at some less vile cookies.  The cost pissed me off.  My top shelf ingredients were around a buck.  So, I did that.

Not sure what Fudge stripes are.  @Indy  

Oreos are good, but only the cookie.  That center is wrong wrong wrong.  Like eating lard.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Agreed.  I did look at some less vile cookies.  The cost pissed me off.  My top shelf ingredients were around a buck.  So, I did that.

Not sure what Fudge stripes are.  @Indy  

Oreos are good, but only the cookie.  That center is wrong wrong wrong.  Like eating lard.

See the source image

Pre-made, carry-out and grocery store bakery is the way of it with my school community. When my debate team hosts its annual tournament, we provide a hospitality room for our volunteer judges, and parents send in food. Not a home baked item to be found. It’s all Costco, Dion’s Pizza, Jason’s Deli, and individually wrapped snack packs. Disheartening. This is a high school of 1800 students, and all of them are learning how to purchase and trash instead of how to produce and reuse. It wasn’t that long ago that parents would donate home cooking in a container we’d wash and send back home. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

?

So went shopping for camp food yesterday.  Needed to buy some junk and bread for noshing on.  Every single package of cookies left me feeling very offended by the food and grocery industry.  Two reasons, 1) the packaging 2) The host of vile ingredients I can't even understand.  

This angers me.  I demand an apology from the food industry people like Nabisco, Orowheat and the like,.

So, I made my own cinnamon rolls, bread and cookies (Long fermented sourdough cinnamon rolls, and some peanut butter cookies.  I did cave and bought a pre-made loaf of sourdough that was less vile than the rest. 

Still, the prices, the packaging and the constant addition of corn in my cookie made me mad at the grocer and the industry.

You did not eat any raw cookie dough did you?  The combination of the salmonella filled eggs and the e. coli filled flour could really do a number on you I hear.

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You did not eat any raw cookie dough did you?  The combination of the salmonella filled eggs and the e. coli filled flour could really do a number on you I hear.

No. I never do that shit. Raw flour is gross. A chemical change happens when you cook it. Too much raw flour on a bread loaf is off putting too.

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

No. I never do that shit. Raw flour is gross. A chemical change happens when you cook it. Too much raw flour on a bread loaf is off putting too.

I call the flour sprinkled on top of bread "e. coli sprinkles".  Much more festive.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

What, you sprinkle it on there without washing your hands after taking a crap?

Everyone knows flour is chock full of e coli.  You must have been off with Bag of Dicks eating raw cookie dough when the announcement was made.

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

Pre-made, carry-out and grocery store bakery is the way of it with my school community. When my debate team hosts its annual tournament, we provide a hospitality room for our volunteer judges, and parents send in food. Not a home baked item to be found. It’s all Costco, Dion’s Pizza, Jason’s Deli, and individually wrapped snack packs. Disheartening. This is a high school of 1800 students, and all of them are learning how to purchase and trash instead of how to produce and reuse. It wasn’t that long ago that parents would donate home cooking in a container we’d wash and send back home. 

Many (most?) schools can't allow home made goods. I suspect because some homes are not as clean and food safety conscious as necessary.  Say the baker is cooking then as the cookies are baking pets the cat. Then back to cooking. No handwashing. (for example) 

10 hours ago, roadsue said:

would your school accept a bag of tangerines?  It least it's fresh and fruit is encased inside a peel.

20 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

WRONG!  The filling is the only reason to eat creme filled cookies, and you are a vile criminal of the worst sort if you don’t unscrew the cookie and throw the top away to concentrate the worthwhile bits. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

The oreo filling is gross. Lard and sugar?

19 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You were dropped on your head as a child, I know it.  Raw cookie dough is the best thing ever, way better than the finished product.  Not even close.  

The raw flour on bread is gross, agreed.  You are still a danger to society, though, and should go to a prison camp of some sort for reprogramming. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

You know who else was good?  Ron glass, Harris from Barney miller. He had a good one in the rand corporation. Wanda Sykes is great at it too!

Wanda Sykes grated on my nerves the very first time I heard her open her mouth.  Ron Glass was good.  Barney Miller is on Antenna TV many evenings and while I don't really care for the show now (I did when it was in original broadcast) if I'm flipping through the channels and hit Barney Miller and Harris is talking I'll usually stop to listen to his part.

21 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Many (most?) schools can't allow home made goods. I suspect because some homes are not as clean and food safety conscious as necessary.  Say the baker is cooking then as the cookies are baking pets the cat. Then back to cooking. No handwashing. (for example) 

You have a point. The unintended consequences are more trash from the packaging, more chemical preservatives and filler ingredients, and less of the connection between us and our food that comes from preparation. Literally nobody wants the leftovers.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I was hooked on the Trader Joe Triple Ginger Snaps for a year or two.  Those were tough to kick.:(

A1Mmmg7xxVL._SX522_.jpg

We still get those occasionally.  I've mentioned the other ones that were like crack.  Any of these small cookies are perfect for dunking in milk.