So how did it all start? This Square Wheels Cycling thing.

Dottleshead

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

He was square wheels when he was in the Love Forum. Their site was so crappy he decided to start his own. Way better.

You're NUTS. It was DIFFERENT, but it was only when folks didn't like the "upgrade" they made there that folks started bailing.  I can't think of anything that really differentiates the two places - other than SW is WAY MORE IN TUNE with us, where as Bicycling (as the seeming owner) didn't give a rats azz.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

You're NUTS. It was DIFFERENT, but it was only when folks didn't like the "upgrade" they made there that folks started bailing.  I can't think of anything that really differentiates the two places - other than SW is WAY MORE IN TUNE with us, where as Bicycling (as the seeming owner) didn't give a rats azz.

I don’t have trouble logging in here. Besides having them change my name to longjohn-Bic I could never log in there without getting BP get me in the back door. If I somehow got logged out again I would have to get ahold of BP all over again

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Not completely true.  People were bailing before the 'infamous upgrade that took the site down for several days'.  It was badly managed and the upgrade pushed many over the edge.  BP was an OK mod but was difficult to deal with at times.  I'm sure it had to do with the corporate structure.  They did not like fun.

The reality is the Bicycling made as much revenue off of us forum users as SW does today.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

He was square wheels when he was in the Love Forum. Their site was so crappy he decided to start his own. Way better.

Yeah, that last software upgrade to the forum was horrible and killed off what was a great bike forum.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Not completely true.  People were bailing before the 'infamous upgrade that took the site down for several days'.  It was badly managed and the upgrade pushed many over the edge.  BP was an OK mod but was difficult to deal with at times.  I'm sure it had to do with the corporate structure.  They did not like fun.

The reality is the Bicycling made as much revenue off of us forum users as SW does today.  

At least BP did not rub our noses in it and post pics of his convertible Beemer.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

At least BP did not rub our noses in it and post pics of his convertible Beemer.

There is that.  And I can say that getting my sock banned by BP was easier to deal with than when SW banned my sock and my IP addy got caught in his web.

4 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Toward the end of the Love Forum, the negativity had honestly just become too much.

Yes.  I had stopped posting there, in part for this reason (but also because I went quite a few years without really riding much - so I didn't feel like I had much to say).

I appreciate SW's work in keeping this place up - and everyone for keeping it fun, mostly.

Somewhere I saved a screenshot of an old Love Forum page - I wonder what happened to that...

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I don’t have trouble logging in here. Besides having them change my name to longjohn-Bic I could never log in there without getting BP get me in the back door. If I somehow got logged out again I would have to get ahold of BP all over again

I had similar issues.  As I changed phones over the years I couldn’t log back in.  I had an old PC that was still logged in and when that crashed I figured I’d be done. The forum crashed before my computer did...

For a while it was pretty much a private chat room for Donk & Tom with me and a few others chiming in on occasion.

• Heart 2

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

You never did tell me where your sister keeps her boat. It was my last post there. 

Some marina by Presque Isle but definitely don't remember.  She keeps inviting me to come up and go sailing and I keep not taking her up on the offer. That's a long drive.

How did Square Wheels begin?

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

Bulwer-Lytton

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

How did Square Wheels begin?

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.

Bulwer-Lytton

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  It was the tale of two forums.

• Heart 2

There were some pretty epic rants in the LF back in the day. 

TER and her airline ticketing rant stands out.  Jasondude and his Debbie downer rants, VB and his bike shop rants, the list goes on...

I miss Monkeyrider and Bruce, those guys were ordinary guys yet bike studs.  OldMarine, Happy Scientist, the list goes on...  There is a few I don’t miss too...

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

TER and her airline ticketing rant stands out.  Jasondude and his Debbie downer rants, VB and his bike shop rants, the list goes on...

I miss Monkeyrider and Bruce, those guys were ordinary guys yet bike studs.  OldMarine, Happy Scientist, the list goes on...  There is a few I don’t miss too...

I really miss TER even though she was pretty high maintenance. :D

There was Jailsgt in the latter days, and irish1183 form teh older days, both lived not too far from me I think.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Monkeyrider was a bit scary

Horndude was the real deal

Tude was bad ass

JV was a whole new level...

I liked TER   her husband ? Nosocks ? those were some posts...

5 minutes ago, Further said:

Monkeyrider was a bit scary

Horndude was the real deal

Tude was bad ass

JV was a whole new level...

I liked TER   her husband ? Nosocks ? those were some posts...

I really liked horndude's perspective - he was like the janitor on Dilbert, a bike messenger wise beyond his station in life.  I can find very few people who remember duhhhhhh - he was a very awesome dude.  And LittleBigRing was very cool for a Texican, I believe!  And how can we forget MangoMonkeySwirlyDude who painted his bike a different colour and pattern every week!

• Heart 1