Would you ride in a driverless car

Kzoo

Here in Grand Rapids MI they run a free shuttle service called DASH.  There  are several bus lines that route from the near burbs or city's edge to downtown.  A couple weeks ago, through some well funded grant, they incorporated some small 4 passenger funky driverless cars to run some expanded routes.  One was in my way downtown an hour ago.  some lady sitting in front passenger seat no driver no dash/steering.  I'm not trusting enough yet.  

41 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’ve seen a few driverless cars around. When they were testing them, they had a “driver” sit in the front seat behind the wheel, not actually driving but there just in case. I’ve not yet ridden in one.

This one had no wheel and I assume the lady in the passenger seat was not a driver.

The technology isn't quite there yet, but it's coming.

What you will see in about a decade is small buses that will come pick you up where you are. The hub and spoke idea already exists, but having it automated so it's available 24/7 as a public service will get here sometime in the next decade.

There's a low speed shuttle in Columbus.  I rode in it during a food festival.  The route was a section of the road that was blocked off and a part of the sidewalk that was blocked off.  It was weird. I only felt unsafe because I wasn't sure who was in control.  I think I would need a few more rides before I felt safe on the main roads.

Vancouver's transit trains are all driverless and have been for nearly 20 yrs. 

That said, I wouldn't want to be in a driverless car for a long time. Even if it had its own shuttle path.

One of my nephews is in work co-op university engineering program in mechantronics --a blend of mechanical engineering and robotics. (program is at University of Waterloo). He is currently working/interning (with pay) for a firm that has a contract with GM Motors for work on driverless cars.  As a Canadian  student, he is working in.....San Francisco.