I UNDERSTAND Page Turner!!!!

Razors Edge

Riding this weekend, I passed a dude on a TT rig coming from the other direction.  All stiff, rigid, and sharp angles.  I thought to myself, "God I hate TT bikes. I would NEVER get one."

And, then (!) ?   ?   ?   an aha moment!  The way I feel about TT bikes is how Page feels about "plastic" bikes.  @Page Turner isn't insane, just a bit behind the curve. :)

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

But I do love the whooosh a TT/Tri bike makes as they zoom by.  We have many Tri geeks out here and I’m certain I got passed by numerous pros as they freaking zoom past at ungodly speeds.  

You can actually hear them coming a few seconds before they pass!

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

But I do love the whooosh a TT/Tri bike makes as they zoom by.  We have many Tri geeks out here and I’m certain I got passed by numerous pros as they freaking zoom past at ungodly speeds.  

You can actually hear them coming a few seconds before they pass!

Yeah - the sound and the speed are definitely enticing and cool.  But no chance that's any of the next three bikes I buy.

I built one for myself and two for others just to learn how much was different and why.  It's simple really.  You design the head tube to be as low as possible so the rider can get his head down below his ass and then you change up the other angles to open out the angle of his legs and chest to a normal power range. (move butt forward from knees over pedal position).  Then you try to give the rider some stability so they can go in a straight line, and the controls to stay in the aero position for as long as possible.

Mine failed because the engine was too weak and because my age/balance made me wobble far too much.  Speed Demon has it now and may someday play around with the idea.  The others were successful although it would be much easier to do it today with electronic controls for shifting.  Third brake levers are nice on the aero bars so the rider doesn't have to move the hands.

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - the sound and the speed are definitely enticing and cool.  But no chance that's any of the next three bikes I buy.

Same way with DH mtb’s.  I can appreciate the engineering, suspension kinematics & design but they are ugly as sin to me and not something I would ever buy.

• Heart 1

...I had a couple of those aero bar/time trial position bikers sail past me on the American River trail this morning.  One of them went by when I was doing some yoga and Tai Chi on the Goethe park bridge.  He was all scrunched up, and his deep profile carbon fiber plastic rims were making the usual racket.  I recall thinking, "Dear God, why ?  If that was all I could do out here, I'd just go swimming."    

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...I had a couple of those aero bar/time trial position bikers sail past me on the American River trail this morning.  One of them went by when I was doing some yoga and Tai Chi on the Goethe park bridge.  He was all scrunched up, and his deep profile carbon fiber plastic rims were making the usual racket.  I recall thinking, "Dear God, why ?  If that was all I could do out here, I'd just go swimming."     

The more important thing to remember is "I see you".

• Haha 1