A Wild Wild Finish

Razors Edge

That crash is really hard to watch.  Yikes.

Looks like the woman in the yellow outfit went down when she touched the rear wheel of the eventual winner, who swerved hard left right in front of her?

I'm not a scholar of the rules - but I'm guessing it is Wild's responsibility not to make that maneuver if she's going to contact another rider?

I have to say though, I would not say that looks as egregious as Sagan's elbow shove.

Do we know how these women are doing?

Did the stage winner cause the crash?  I think she did... Yeah that was a pretty aggressive move to come around the left.

Some might argue you have to protect your front wheel and not sure if it was a World Tour sprint finish the person coming around would have gotten an elbow to the ribs and not allowed a pass.

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I will go to my grave saying Sagan’s elbow came out in response to Cavendish’s contact with him.

Agreed. Cav  had no business trying to force his way through that gap.  The elbow flick was obvious as he was at the front but happens often in field sprints.

I was reading the report on this in Cyclingnews and it was Wild.  The team regrets the outcome but is accepting the decision.  Yeah as it was a bogus move and they knew it.

The team also says she continued sprinting as she didn’t realize she caused the crash. I call BS on that as whenever there is contact you know it and when you hear the carnage behind you after feeling impact on your bike/body you know you were a part of it and likely the cause of it.

All right - I hadn't seen that frame by frame Cav-Sagan analysis before.  I guess I have to eat crow.  

back to the wimmins finish - I didn't hear the sportscasters really come close to laying any blame on Wild, though it seemed that they really couldn't tell what happened.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I was reading the report on this in Cyclingnews and it was Wild.  The team regrets the outcome but is accepting the decision.  Yeah as it was a bogus move and they knew it.

The team also says she continued sprinting as she didn’t realize she caused the crash. I call BS on that as whenever there is contact you know it and when you hear the carnage behind you after feeling impact on your bike/body you know you were a part of it and likely the cause of it.

And what was the outcome?

16 hours ago, ChrisL said:

What Tom notes, relegated, win stripped But remains in the race.

Interesting follow up to the story:

Olympic team pursuit gold medallist Barker was left with a broken collarbone, but tried to look on the bright side, writing on Twitter on Sunday: "They say you're not a real cyclist until you've broken a collarbone. Avoided joining the club for the last 15 years, but not much I could do yesterday. Thanks for everybody's messages. I'll be fine."

Wild – looking to take her third victory at the one-day race that takes place in central London, having also won last year and in 2016 – moved to her left in the bunch sprint with around 100 metres to go, looking for some open road having been caught behind a number of other riders. The switch took out Ale Cipollini's Chloe Hosking, with the domino effect of the Australian's fall taking down around 20 other riders, including the reigning scratch-race world champion Barker.

Wild stayed upright and powered through on the left-hand side of the road to be first across the line, only for the commissaires to judge her move as illegal – UCI regulation 2.12.007, article 5.1: 'Deviation from the chosen line that endangers other riders' – relegating the Dutchwoman to last place in the front group (37th), as well as fining her 200 Swiss francs (£170/US$200).

The second-placed rider – Parkhotel Valkenburg's Lorena Wiebes – was handed the race victory as a result.

"A bit upsetting to see comments aimed at Kirsten, though," Barker added in a further tweet. "It's easy to criticise from a slow-mo aerial shot. The real-time reality is that everybody is just hoping that their split-second decision benefits themselves without harming anybody else. Race accidents happen."

Hosking, meanwhile – despite hitting the ground hard and rolling several times – was able to walk away from the crash, "missing skin" and with "a hit to the head".

"For those who saw, I took a bit of a tumble at RideLondon yesterday," Hosking wrote on social media. "Missing skin and took a hit to the head. This morning I'm feeling like I had big night last night, but without the good memories. Will be monitoring the head situation over the next few days."

• Heart 1

The crash takes place about two seconds later than I anticipate it. So she didn't come over and take out her front wheel, as I initially thought. So I guess it's the Trek rider's fault for being there when two seconds ago she wasn't, but it seems to me that the woman who went down must have turned her wheel to the right after the Trek rider was there, which initiated the contact. In other words, the Trek rider moved over, causing the rider who eventually fell to move her line over, briefly, but then couldn't hold it and crashed. Or am I missing something? 

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

The crash takes place about two seconds later than I anticipate it. So she didn't come over and take out her front wheel, as I initially thought. So I guess it's the Trek rider's fault for being there when two seconds ago she wasn't, but it seems to me that the woman who went down must have turned her wheel to the right after the Trek rider was there, which initiated the contact. In other words, the Trek rider moved over, causing the rider who eventually fall to move her line over, briefly, but then couldn't hold it and crashed. Or am I missing something?  

The overhead shows Wild come into the rider behind's path, and that rider saves it briefly before Wild comes farther to the left and the following rider can't save it again. Right around the 2:05 mark. Like a very quick stutter move by Wild.

On 8/5/2019 at 4:35 PM, ChrisL said:

Agreed. Cav  had no business trying to force his way through that gap.  The elbow flick was obvious as he was at the front but happens often in field sprints.

What frustrated me was they had the same video and knew they were making an important decision to take a jersey contender out of the TdF, and seem to do it so casually, and without his team having the chance to respond.  And they go it so wrong.  Sagan could have 8 green jerseys at this point.

• Heart 1