Forum Software Migration

Razors Edge

...done the right way?

We’re happy to announce that the Cyclingnews forums are migrating from phpBB to XenForo forum software starting Wednesday, August 7. We expect the migration to take the full day, during which time any posts or responses made will not be kept following the update until the upgrade is completed.

You’ll be pleased to find the new XenForo forum platform is faster, more powerful and feature-rich than the older phpBB software in place. It provides for better security, improved spam controls and a responsive design that scales well for browsing on both desktop and mobile devices.

Our goal with this transition is to provide a stable and secure platform that will serve our community exceptionally well and last long into the future. The new theme is designed to provide a simpler and cleaner experience for both veteran and new users. We know that jumping platforms may be disruptive to natural habit, but we’re confident that you’ll come to enjoy the added features and quality-of-life improvements the new software has to offer.

The new forum features:

• An exciting new reputation and reactions system - earn trophies!
• Trending, new, and popular threads to engage in.
• Much improved stability
• Improved user interface and search functionality
• ...and tons of other new features

For all the changes you can expect from transitioning from phpBB to XenForo, check out our handy Guide to XenForo Features on Cyclingnews. If you encounter a bug or issue with the new platform please let us know in this thread with a response below.

We’re very much looking forward to the great new forum software, and all the fantastic opportunities it can provide to the community. We deeply appreciate your patience and understanding during the transition, and we look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Yours,

The Cyclingnews Community Team

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

New and improved is how marketing people justify their jobs. 

How did you miss this part?????

You’ll be pleased to find the new XenForo forum platform is faster, more powerful and feature-rich than the older phpBB software in place. It provides for better security, improved spam controls and a responsive design that scales well for browsing on both desktop and mobile devices. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

How did you miss this part?????

Their better security and spam control is that they blocked you?

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I do worry about legal complications, but am pretty sure I can claim ignorance.

I am more than pretty sure.   I might save you from the legal system but it might not stop the Ban Hammer from dropping on your possibly ignorant noggin.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

I am more than pretty sure.   I might save you from the legal system but it might not stop the Ban Hammer from dropping on your possibly ignorant noggin.

How about the Old Spice or maybe Degree (for men) Hammer?  I'm no fan of Ban.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...done the right way?

We’re happy to announce that the Cyclingnews forums are migrating from phpBB to XenForo forum software starting Wednesday, August 7. We expect the migration to take the full day, during which time any posts or responses made will not be kept following the update until the upgrade is completed...

The Cyclingnews Community Team

...why are they buying software for a mass migration event from a company that specializes in xenophobia ?  :huh: Clearly this thread can only be properly discussed in the P+R, where we can also speculate on the conspiracy to subvert @Kzoo 's avatar that you seem to be pursuing.  I see here a move toward forum anarchy. :runcirclsmiley:

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm starting to believe it was Kzoo who stole MY avatar.  It may take a while to clear this issue up.

...apparently, you also believe that the folks at Cycling News are changing platforms to help you, as opposed to making their ad sales more appealing.  I can't help you. :( 

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm starting to believe it was Kzoo who stole MY avatar.  It may take a while to clear this issue up.

No, I could clear up any confusion you have created in a New York minute.  Others have suggested it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...apparently, you also believe that the folks at Cycling News are changing platforms to help you, as opposed to making their ad sales more appealing.  I can't help you. :( 

What's interesting is that the SWCF has pretty much all of this stuff.  @Square Wheels is ahead of the curve.

• An exciting new reputation and reactions system - earn trophies!
• Trending, new, and popular threads to engage in.
• Much improved stability
• Improved user interface and search functionality
• ...and tons of other new features