I'm thinking of getting rid of social media again.

I dont twatter but I am on Facebook. I mostly post pictures of Ylva there and bitch about the lack of sleep.  I do enjoy seeing the pictures of family, my niece, nephews and friends. However, the tribalism and divide I see on Facebook is really sad to watch. Each time I see someone post something tribal, or something that lacks any semblance of critical thinking, I feel a deep sense of disgust.  It's really hard to be a part of something like that.

I am beginning to think social media brings out the worst of otherwise really nice people. And if I'm honest, I see the tribalism and abhorrent behavior in myself.  I might not express it on Facebook, but I definitely feel it while I browse the site. And, I don't think social media really enhances my life, it's just a lazy exercise. If I really cared about my friends on Facebook, I would call them, write then a nice letter or visit them instead of liking their post.  Social media is a lazy way of being a friend. 

Anyway, I'm extremely tired and I'm sure none of this makes sense and I'll read this later in embarrassment.  Pat and I had a fridge delivered this morning, which really screwed up my sleep cycle. We requested an afternoon drop-off but something was lost in translation.  I'm running on empty and I desperately need sleep.

Ylva is bad. 

Shu Fang 

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:

I dont twatter but I am on Facebook. I mostly post pictures of Ylva there and bitch about the lack of sleep.  I do enjoy seeing the pictures of family, my niece, nephews and friends. However, the tribalism and divide I see on Facebook is really sad to watch. Each time I see someone post something tribal, or something that lacks any semblance of critical thinking, I feel a deep sense of disgust.  It's really hard to be a part of something like that. 

I am beginning to think social media brings out the worst of otherwise really nice people. And if I'm honest, I see the tribalism and abhorrent behavior in myself.  I might not express it on Facebook, but I definitely feel it while I browse the site. And, I don't think social media really enhances my life, it's just a lazy exercise. If I really cared about my friends on Facebook, I would call them, write then a nice letter or visit them instead of liking their post.  Social media is a lazy way of being a friend. 

Anyway, I'm extremely tired and I'm sure none of this makes sense and I'll read this later in embarrassment.  Pat and I had a fridge delivered this morning, which really screwed up my sleep cycle. We requested an afternoon drop-off but something was lost in translation.  I'm running on empty and I desperately need sleep. 

Ylva is bad. 

Shu Fang

I don't know. I can't imagine the poison there is any worse than some of the poison here.

Maybe you just need to post more Ylva pictures here & there to balance out the bad stuff.

• Heart 1

The internet will be the eventual downfall of society.  Civil discourse cannot happen as the anonymity of the internet has the potential to make anyone an internet tough guy, a google expert and of course, it breeds trolls and all sorts of bad creatures.

Misinformation is the new black.    

I think I need to join you in leaving social media.  Facebook is a toxic cesspool of hate but there are some cute pictures of dogs and cats floating in it, so there is that.

• Heart 2

58 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:

Ylva is bad. 

Shu Fang 

You should hire someone to run your social media for you.  

• Haha 2

Facebook is evil.  I have a twitter account, but mainly to follow people with cute animal pictures or some sports updates - nothing political.    Ylva pictures should be posted here.  :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, wilbur said:

yes

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Isn't this social media?

It is. But I have no history with you folks and when I finally get to meet some of you in person, it's a real pleasure. It's not this ball and chain with old relationships of a different era. Plus I have some control over who I want in my life and who I don't.

• Awesome 1

IDK... there's nothing happening in social media that is not happening 1000 worse in real life.  Hiding from it is just sticking your head in the sand. 

In fact, one might say that those who run from facebook are showing another facet of the problem.  We can no longer even abide to be reminded that there are opposing views, let alone have to deal with those people in a civil manner.

1 minute ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

IDK... there's nothing happening in social media that is not happening 1000 worse in real life.  Hiding from it is just sticking your head in the sand. 

In fact, one might say that those who run from facebook are showing another facet of the problem.  We can no longer even abide to be reminded that there are opposing views, let alone have to deal with those people in a civil manner.

I’m fine with listening to opposing views. I like understanding where people are coming from. My vocation relies upon an open marketplace of ideas. 

My FB newsfeed wasn’t a source for dialogue and understanding. And when I replied to misinformation, I was often unfriended or unfollowed. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, roadsue said:

I’m fine with listening to opposing views. I like understanding where people are coming from. My vocation relies upon an open marketplace of ideas. 

My FB newsfeed wasn’t a source for dialogue and understanding. And when I replied to misinformation, I was often unfriended or unfollowed. 

You say you are fine with listening, yet left FB when that is literally all you are required to do (and even that is optional as you can hide/block/unfollow anything you find objectionable). 

22 minutes ago, roadsue said:

And when I replied to misinformation, I was often unfriended or unfollowed. 

Yea, this happens.  I'm pretty sure if I had a direct conversation with most of the people who have unfriended me, the outcome wouldn't be the same.

And, I don't mind a little bit of cognitive dissonance. It's uncomfortable at first but if used in the right way, I'm generally rewarded something closer to the truth.

As I mentioned before, I really feel Facebook is a lazy attempt at friendship.  I really would like to reach out more but fear it might be found creepy and stalkish.  I'll start with RG first though; he's immune to such things.

Shu Fang

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Where the heck have you been?  It's good seeing you here.  Might I send you a letter or a Christmas or Easter card?  

Shu Fang

• Heart 1

I think Facebook is a giant time suck and it is no longer a pleasant time suck.  I also think I am going to pull the plug but then a rescue dog pops up and then I think I need to stay.  I'm tired of division, abuse, famine, etc...

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

I think Facebook is a giant time suck and it is no longer a pleasant time suck.  I also think I am going to pull the plug but then a rescue dog pops up and then I think I need to stay.  I'm tired of division, abuse, famine, etc...

I think that's why this is a good place to be.  Sure we take pot shots at each other from time to time -- but mostly it's just that -- a pot shot.  Speaking of pots...  sadly I got one.  So I'm not offended if someone pokes me right in the jello.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Where the hell you been @Reverend_Maynard ? Speaking of dissenting views, you and i got 'em. But just like Wilbur and Nate of yesteryear, I find you guys some of the most fun to talk to. But it is true you are more refined than our savage friend @wilbur. That guy needs to get out and see the world. 

We are just a change.  You lefties should at least change hands in your circle jerk once in a while.  :)  Admittedly, I can be harsh but I never go looking to be harsh. I wait until someone provokes me enough, then I give them what they have been begging for.  I never apologize because I don't want to send conflicting messages. :) 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, wilbur said:

We are just a change.  You lefties should at least change hands in your circle jerk once in a while.  :)  Admittedly, I can be harsh but I never go looking to be harsh. I wait until someone provokes me enough, then I give them what they have been begging for.  I never apologize because I don't want to send conflicting messages. :) 

Lefties.

Oh noes.

Be careful, they'll storm out of here and threaten to sue.

• Haha 1

I keep on it. Most of the time the people I hide are the bored or ignorant aunt or uncle who take my timeline hostage. I still want to wish them a happy birthday, I just don’t have time for a pile of memes with no critical thinking involved. I shared on FB some photos from the Radler last weekend. In my post I even stated where we were camping. One of my aunts asked where I “pitched my tent”. It showed she wasn’t really reading and all my responses were more smart ass than I should probably say to her. 

I have thick skin. I can handle opposing views. Being in an echo chamber doesn’t help anyone. I will challenge if we feel I have the time/energy to debate. If not, I just scroll on. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

I beg you all the time.  It's in my righty blood -- the same blood that bonds me with friends from the Right.  You're all nut jobs but I like you anyway.  I seem to make a lot of friends with you.

6 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Yeah, but I still like you.  :) 

Well, duh.  You should.  My old man's a righty.  My best friend is a righty.  I live in Righty-ville (outside of Seattle).  But I'm slightly left.  But not so far left I live in the Seattle limits.  Good god. no. That place is turned into a cesspool and you're going to pay heavy -- and I mean heavy -- to live in that cesspool.

2 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

You say you are fine with listening, yet left FB when that is literally all you are required to do (and even that is optional as you can hide/block/unfollow anything you find objectionable). 

FB doesn’t require listening. 

4 minutes ago, Further said:

I joined Facebook a few weeks ago because a site I wanted to visit required it. I now have about 400 people I don't know wanting to be my friend. Any idea how long it will take to meet them and decide if I want to be friends ?

Just say no.  That's how that shit starts.  Rat infested scumbags you never liked or wanted to be friends in the first place suddenly feel compelled to reach out to you.  And you're gonna read about their pathetic lives.  And it's gonna suck.  It's gonna suck big time.

Just now, Dottie said:

Just say no.  That's how that shit starts.  Rat infested scumbags you never liked or wanted to be friends in the first place suddenly feel condemned to reach out to you.  And you're gonna read about their pathetic lives.  And it's gonna suck.  It's gonna suck big time.

I haven't said anything, guess I'm a tease    ?

• Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Further said:

I haven't said anything, guess I'm a tease    ?

The problem is say you liked Billy.  Billy was a cool guy but Billy was in a different social group from the one you were way back in the day.  You reach out to Billy and suddenly everyone of billy's friends now knows you are connected with him.  So folks you may have a remote connection to that you don't even remember want to be your friend.  And because you don't necessarily want to be an asshole to Billy you accept them in good faith because "maybe he knows something about them that I don't."  Well he doesn't.  Now multiple that by the hundreds and pretty soon you're gonna hear about what these asshats think about the world. It's not long before these POSs begin infiltrating your message feed and you don't even know them.  Still you put up with it for Billy's sake until after the 100th Billy and his exponential friends -- at some point you say, "You know what?  I like Billy but I don't need him or his asshat friends in my life".  The worst part is when you befriend close friends and the same thing happens.  I just decided it was a bunch of crap that I didn't need.  I don't miss it at all.  Not at all.