So, Did You Buy That Car?

Razors Edge

Just now, Further said:

I bought the Toyota van a year ago, I'm very happy with it. But I am thinking of buying a new one in the next few years, to get the driving aids, cause I'm getting older every day. 

Yay! We're looking good.  See you in a couple years when you need some tough love and help making a great decision.  The Cafe Collective is clearly a well oiled review and recommendation machine!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Please recommend a car for Wade and to show how serious you are, paypal me between $100 and $500.   

When you google "Cars for tall people" what are the top ten results?

Consumer reports has expensive taste!  Here is their "best" (left) and "worst" (right).  I was gonna offer Wade my barely used 911, but now I guess I'll just donate it to Kars for Kids.

image.thumb.png.2d504ccccfbdc1b7894fcf4a2b1d5ef5.png

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

When you google "Cars for tall people" what are the top ten results?

Consumer reports has expensive taste!  Here is their "best" (left) and "worst" (right).  I was gonna offer Wade my barely used 911, but now I guess I'll just donate it to Kars for Kids.

image.thumb.png.2d504ccccfbdc1b7894fcf4a2b1d5ef5.png

We accept your offer.  Thank you.

BTW, I did wonder how easy it is to remove the seats, shift the seat rails back a bit, and then plop the seats back in.  That might work on a lot of inexpensive smaller cars, so you have a lot more options.

That Fit, with a stick, is likely reliable, affordable, roomy, and a car he can't get into too much trouble in (relative to some other cars).

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, jsharr said:

Please recommend a car for Wade and to show how serious you are, paypal me between $100 and $500.  

I think his first car should be a truck. One at the bottom of the age curve. The trucks depreciate as they get older for quite a while and then the price starts going back up for really old trucks. 

• Heart 1

I haven't bought one yet, went to look at one.  Convertible, they said on the phone the top worked, get there and doesn't, then it blew a radiator hose in the parking lot and sprayed a mechanic with hot antifreeze.  Needless to say I didn't get it, didn't even try.

• Haha 2

From day one when purchasing a car, there is the hypothetical question...and what will the next car be? After all, if it is a lemon with short ownership or is totaled on day 2, you don't want to start the search then (although 'day 2' may be an exaggeration as prior research would still be fresh). My recent practice of renting a car 1 day (2 per trip) in lieu of the more expensive airport parking actually plays into that question as I rent something to "try" and upgrades give me a more expensive car. When Hertz upgraded me to a Mercedes GLC. it was so sluggish compared to my Mini that scratched it off the list. Budget's Jetta was nice, responsive, but sat so low. Then there was a couple days ago. Hertz left the selection to me - any car in the Gold section. Told my wife to hop in the Ford Escape despite it being redesigned next (2020) year as nothing else looked appealing. She goes "too big" ? Then she picks a Nissan Sentra. Not only would that never be on my short list, it is an absolute POS with a CVT transmission mismatched to the engine. First surprise was leaving the parking garage and merging with airport traffic. Revved the engine to 4500RMP with roaring sound under the hood, and the transmission is going "wwweeelllll, lllet meeeee ttthhhiiinnnkk aaabout ittttt." The Mini might have a slight initial turbo lag...but it pops and goes like would expect of most cars.

57 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

From day one when purchasing a car, there is the hypothetical question...and what will the next car be? After all, if it is a lemon with short ownership or is totaled on day 2, you don't want to start the search then (although 'day 2' may be an exaggeration as prior research would still be fresh). My recent practice of renting a car 1 day (2 per trip) in lieu of the more expensive airport parking actually plays into that question as I rent something to "try" and upgrades give me a more expensive car. When Hertz upgraded me to a Mercedes GLC. it was so sluggish compared to my Mini that scratched it off the list. Budget's Jetta was nice, responsive, but sat so low. Then there was a couple days ago. Hertz left the selection to me - any car in the Gold section. Told my wife to hop in the Ford Escape despite it being redesigned next (2020) year as nothing else looked appealing. She goes "too big" ? Then she picks a Nissan Sentra. Not only would that never be on my short list, it is an absolute POS with a CVT transmission mismatched to the engine. First surprise was leaving the parking garage and merging with airport traffic. Revved the engine to 4500RMP with roaring sound under the hood, and the transmission is going "wwweeelllll, lllet meeeee ttthhhiiinnnkk aaabout ittttt." The Mini might have a slight initial turbo lag...but it pops and goes like would expect of most cars.

CVT's are the devil.  I will say that since our teen ager has started driving the Jeep with the CVT that is seems to drive better.  I think they do learn and are adaptive.  Much more responsive and less of the engine revving slipping clutch feeling that you get with so many CVTs.     And going down a steep grade, or mountain driving with a CVT sucks donkey balls.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, jsharr said:

CVT's are the devil.  I will say that since our teen ager has started driving the Jeep with the CVT that is seems to drive better.  I think they do learn and are adaptive.  Much more responsive and less of the engine revving slipping clutch feeling that you get with so many CVTs.     And going down a steep grade, or mountain driving with a CVT sucks donkey balls.

CVTs are quite variable!  I love the ones in my daughters' fits, but others in rentals like that Sentra have been worse. 

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

CVTs are quite variable!  I love the ones in my daughters' fits, but others in rentals like that Sentra have been worse. 

I owned a Ford Freestyle with a CVT.  My brakes were smoking going down Slum Gullion Pass into Lake City Colorado due the CVT not being able to hold speed on a grade.   Really did not realize the wife had a CVT in the Jeep she bought as it drives much better, but still not like a good conventional auto trans.

11 minutes ago, 12string said:

My daughter has a CVT in her Subaru.   Seemed to handle downhills OK.  Not sure if  like it or not, I'm constantly changing my opinion of it.

Honda has gone to CVTs in a bunch of their base & mid models.  I won't buy one with a CVT, so it does limit any possible choices.  Accords starting at $23k for CVT, $30+k for an auto.  The manual is somewhere in between.  A $7k premium is a whole lot of BS (even if it comes with a larger engine, too).