BIG storm last night

sheep_herder

What an adventurous trip.  Glad the car didn't hurt you seriously, but that's still pretty scary.  Congrats on the ribbons!  I'm sure they were well deserved - what kind of pics did you submit?

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

Damn, that elbow thing is scary.  Glad you are okay.   Did the storm freak the sheep out?  Does the disposition of a flock affect the price?  Do you sell sheep as a lot or individually?  Any hail damage?  Are you going to post the pics we all want to see?

We simply take the sheep to the yard, and they sort them before selling them.  Based on the receipt, they do a nice job of sorting them into lots relative to age, sex, size, breed, etc. We have seldom stayed for the sale, so have not witnessed them going through the ring.

Yes, on the elbow.  That is the closest I've ever come to getting run over. We don't have any control over drivers, so I must be more careful about crossing dark intersections at night. This happened at the last intersection before I started climbing a long grassy incline to the parking lot.

16 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I ran into it just east of Billings while I was taking a load of sheep to the auction yards. Strong winds at first, then blinding rain with small hail was slowing traffic on the interstate, and town was in a state of shock with wrecks, etc.  The storm traveled east dumping 0.65-1.00"in most places.  Needless to say the sheep were very wet when the exited the trailer, and I hope they look better today at the sale.  Went to the Montana Fair to check on our photos and found we each got a red ribbon.  We were elated.  On my way back to the truck and trailer, about 3/4 mile away in the Target parking lot, I got clipped on the elbow by a passing vehicle.  I was just exiting the cross walk, when they came very rapidly around the corner.  They stopped up the road, but never made an effort to come back.  I was just glad the elbow was the only part of my body involved, and it is OK. Spent the night in two rest areas, as I did not want to run into the storm on the way home.

Ssitting here reading this At the Indiana State Fair. Open Shetland Sheep show starts at 8:30 am. Our ram shows in class 4. Huge class of very good rams this year. He looks good but is a month younger than most in the class and smaller than many. Will have to see what the judge does with that.

44 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Great photos...sorry about the elbow..hope there are no lasting effects..(a friend had someone drive over her foot..after a vikings game..oddly enough no lasting injury not broken..) I think we might get some of your weather.

Yes, yesterday it look like it was just about to your area. 

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

@sheep_herder,tell us about the gentleman that posed for you!  I would love to know the story behind every line in that face.    Looks like a man that has lived an honest life full of hard work.

He is an old gentleman named Swede that lives in the Wild Horse area south of Hysham, MT.  No one that I've encountered knows how to contact him.  He comes to the Bluegrass Festival in Miles City in September and plays his banjo in the jam sessions.  I had seen him for many years, and a few years ago I asked if I could take his picture.  He normally sits in the same location against the wall, so I just positioned myself near a set of bleachers and took several photos as he was 'listening to the music'. An 8x10 version of the photo received reserve champion at the local fair, and last year they presented the matted photo and the ribbon to him on stage during the Friday night jam session. Too bad I missed the Friday night session, but I visited with him on Sunday,  The 16x20 framed photo was in the Western Art Roundup that hung in the Waterworks Art Museum during the bucking horse sale, and this is the one I entered in the Montana Fair in Billings. The photo has been well received, and I think it may be one of the best I've ever taken. I probably should not mention this, but I can get a bit teary eyed thinking and talking about the photo. Glad you all like it.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

He is an old gentleman named Swede that lives in the Wild Horse area south of Hysham, MT.  No one that I've encountered knows how to contact him.  He comes to the Bluegrass Festival in Miles City in September and plays his banjo in the jam sessions.  I had seen him for many years, and a few years ago I asked if I could take his picture.  He normally sits in the same location against the wall, so I just positioned myself near a set of bleachers and took several photos as he was 'listening to the music'. An 8x10 version of the photo received reserve champion at the local fair, and last year they presented the matted photo and the ribbon to him on stage during the Friday night jam session. Too bad I missed the Friday night session, but I visited with him on Sunday,  The 16x20 framed photo was in the Western Art Roundup that hung in the Waterworks Art Museum during the bucking horse sale, and this is the one I entered in the Montana Fair in Billings. The photo has been well received, and I think it may be one of the best I've ever taken. I probably should not mention this, but I can get a bit teary eyed thinking and talking about the photo. Glad you all like it.

I love it.  Honest, simple, Opens a book and starts the first chapter and lets the viewer finish the story.  The subject is crisp and clear and the background blurs away into whatever you want it to be.   Seems like the kind of man you would want to sit at a campfire with and just listen to the stories of his life.

• Heart 1