Schools

Airehead

Both.  I attended public schools through my 2nd year of high school and then a private school for the last 2 years.  College was a mixture of private schools and public colleges.  My high school graduating class consisted of only 21 students.  The list read like a who's who in CT of wealthy and politically connected families here.  My mother was a school principal and somehow wangled a "country mouse" scholarship for me to attend.  The place was so far above my social class that I have no lasting relationships with people from there.  I believe that I was a commodity similar to the one where Jewish students are taken into private schools to raise the grade average for advertising purposes.  For me it was a great experience in that level of society soon to be tempered by a great experience in exactly the opposite spectra while in the service.  Socially and economically there is a huge amount of diversity in this country.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

Public all the way.  My high school, had quite a number of former private school attendees from especially the girls' private school and some from boys'.  I don't know why public schools are so often dissed. I was in an academic oriented student stream where probably over 40% or more of my classmates went to college and university later.  I think those who chose not to go, very much underrated themselves.  It was an inner city school with kids from diverse different economic classes which is healthy.

Among 7 nieces and nephews from 3 families, only 1 went to a private high school because she asked her parents. So far out of the 7, 4  completed university or are in the midst of university. Rest are still young kids. I'm just saying that my siblings also don't think public is horrible. And this is in Toronto.

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I think those who chose not to go, very much underrated themselves.

I don't think so.  I think you close the door on opportunities but they may be opportunities you didn't want.  Our high school class valedictorian went to university for 12 years.  He became a chartered accountant with a law degree and a mathematics major.  He started painting houses while in school and stayed with it ever since.  In some cases, people just do what they enjoy doing. 

In my case, one doesn't need an academic background to fly.  It is basic eye/hand/feet coordination and good common sense.  Yet the military and airlines all want a degree, preferably in sciences. 

• Heart 1

Public.  Private schools were for the rich kids or the trouble makers that got thrown out of public schools was my view as a kid.

One of my sons went to a private school that was an incredible blessing to both him and Martha and I.

Our other son was accepted into a health sciences magnate that is part of our public school district, so he is in public schools, but not in a traditional program.  He spends half his day with the student body and the other half in the health sciences wing.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Public, we wanted better for our kids. They did half private and half home school.

"Better" varies by situation. I have numerous students this year who came to our public school because it's better than their previous private and home school situations.

• Heart 3

12 years of Catholic school.  My parents sacrificed a lot for that, I got jobs to help pay for High School.  Never went to college.

Sent all my kids to Catholic schools too.  Kept us pretty cash strapped for a long time, but it was well worth it.  I don't see it as being viable for the next generation, it's just getting too expensive, it's going the way of private academies.

26 minutes ago, Bag of Dicks said:

I went to the best college in the country, The Ohio State University. 

It is public but they don’t just let anyone in. 

Yes they do, that's why it's so big, plus it's in Ohio, so that admit everyone they can convince to be there for a few years.

2 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Parochial   My Mom taught at our local  public grade school and wouldn't have dreamed of sending me there. :nodhead:

Your mom was that bad of a teacher, or she just didn't want to put up with you anymore than necessary.

• Whatever 1

I went to public schools. And it shows. 

But honestly, I believe I received a pretty good education.  I was pretty lazy and didn't make the most of it. I also did poorly in college until I took things seriously at the end when I freaked out about wasting my life away. 

I would have served myself better in the military right after High School.  I needed someone to enforce structure and discipline. I should have joined the marines.  

Couch 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Bag of Dicks said:

I went to the best college in the country, The Ohio State University. 

It is public but they don’t just let anyone in. 

the best and strongest universities in Canada.....are public with well developed curriculum, long history with govn't funding authorities, subject to accreditation process for certain faculties / disciplines and research partnerships.  Some of the private universities in Canada...have very limited curriculum /highly focused to get a certain type of job...or not.  Which is fine if you want to pay same (or more dollars) but maybe, but no guarantee of a job for what you studied for.  

It appears there are more large private universities in the US and longer history of it.  Why is it there seems to be in some quarters, snobbery against public universities in the U.S.?  It's the opposite in Canada.

Then there are some colleges which became universities in Canada.