Schools

Airehead

11 hours ago, jsharr said:

Public.  Private schools were for the rich kids or the trouble makers that got thrown out of public schools was my view as a kid.

One of my sons went to a private school that was an incredible blessing to both him and Martha and I.

Our other son was accepted into a health sciences magnate that is part of our public school district, so he is in public schools, but not in a traditional program.  He spends half his day with the student body and the other half in the health sciences wing.

It was noticeable to us teenage girls in our final year of public high school, that the handful of girls at same age, who transferred from private Catholic all-girls' school, seemed more self-assured, erudite, mature.  I believe there can be some truth for some girls that all girls' school can increase their self-confidence, focus on intellectual effort....instead of battling with self esteem issues, getting boy's attention or worse, acting/believing they aren't as good as a boy.

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

Generally in the US, colleges offer undergrad studies and universities offer post-graduate MA and PhD programs. 

This is how it generally works from what I know in Canada, as well as friends and family members.  I also grew up in university city...with 2 public universities and 1 public college for a twin city of combined population of only 125,000 people when I was student over 35 yrs. ago:

A Canadian public university often provides MA and PhD programs (in a lot of faculties but not all), in addition to undergrad.  Some of the older Canadian universities have the main university plus colleges which some were originally church-affiliated colleges as part of the university's historic development, but basically they function under their parent university. Often the church college(s) are located on same campus ground.  Or a specialized study discipline but they call it a "college".  My 2 sisters who have university degrees in pharmacy, were affiliated with Innis College which was where the Faculty of Pharmacy was.  But the Faculty is  under University of Toronto....which hence, one can take electives from other faculties and their degree is from University of Toronto.  The instructors there are required to have MAs or PhDs at least and are profs./associate profs., etc.

Then there are some Canadian colleges that acquired university status in the last 20 years...but don't offer MA, PhD at all.  I wish they never did that. It traps naïve students who are misled to believe they easily qualify for MA program at the larger public "true" universities in Canada.  It's a lot of money starting off on wrong foot. (But that happens in other life situations..which hopefully turns out better...).   

Not hard to figure out the public established universities in Canada. https://www.macleans.ca/education/university-rankings/university-rankings-2019/  This list includes the true public universities. Canada is a smaller country, hence, less universities.  But that's no indication of some Canadian universities which compete internationally with their foreign peers in same discipline on research activity, innovation, etc. 

A private Canadian university would be Royal Roads University, Athabasca University which seems to focus on/known for primarily MBA / heavy online program.

I've seen so-called private university with a mysterious name....and tuition fees way too high. Once I saw private university advertise to get a medical degree..forget it. Don't even go there. Not in Canada.

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

My college became a university sometime after I left. IIRC a school has to have 5 colleges to gain university level. 

Really. Never heard of this. That definitely is not true in Canada.  We have Mount Royal University  which was just 1 college   and there's University of Calgary.  Latter is your true university,  I'm certain Mount Royal has some programs that are great...but a graduating student should never delude themselves they can just simply compete to get into law, medicine, at the true Canadian public universities.  They might have to take some qualifying make-up additional courses..plus the high marks that are demanded. 

15 hours ago, wilbur said:

Yet the military and airlines all want a degree, preferably in sciences. 

Why do you think is that?  I suspect they want minimally applicants to finish high school well.  It's not really the marks, it's demonstrating self-discipline, being goal-oriented and achieving expected results (by the employer), also self-directed learning.  A lot managers don't want to just supervise employees who need handholding or told how to 'develop' themselves better on the job/in company.

11 hours ago, 12string said:

12 years of Catholic school.  My parents sacrificed a lot for that, I got jobs to help pay for High School.  Never went to college.

Sent all my kids to Catholic schools too.  Kept us pretty cash strapped for a long time, but it was well worth it.  I don't see it as being viable for the next generation, it's just getting too expensive, it's going the way of private academies.

My partner went to public Catholic schools in Canada. His mother was quietly Catholic which probably influenced school choice.  During his time, he was taught by various teachers who were nuns.  He thought they were very good teachers who cared about the learning and achievement of their students. 

Generally the public funding model in Canada is the co-ed Catholic schools, they can be publicly funded. They have to meet the provincial government required curricula, have qualified teachers,  etc.  I am not certain about the gender segregated Catholic schools.

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Why do you think is that?  I suspect they want minimally applicants to finish high school well.  It's not really the marks, it's demonstrating self-discipline, being goal-oriented and achieving expected results (by the employer), also self-directed learning.  A lot managers don't want to just supervise employees who need handholding or told how to 'develop' themselves better on the job/in company.

It is a self discipline demonstration alone.  Goal oriented people are frowned upon in todays airlines and are weeded out or retrained in crew resource skills.  Demonstrated flying skills and experience also take a back seat in todays airline hiring.  It is very much a dumbed down, rote disciple industry now which is why you see so many human factors related accidents.  It turns out, pilots are still required, not just those with disciplines to answer 70 % of multiple choice questions on a primed exam. 

• Confused 1