Today's Coffee

jsharr

Just now, jsharr said:

I keep searching for that perfect cup of Hawaiian coffee like I remember it tasting sitting at an open air cafe on the ocean in Kailua-Kona.  This is a bit dark and a bit to acidic, but still good.

Kona is best in Hawaii. It is fine elsewhere, but you'll never get it to be better (or as good) as it tastes in Hawaii.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I have a similar Mr Coffee.  Have you ever used the "Brew Strength" button? And what makes the "Strong" brew different than the "Regular"???

image.png.960d7859e235ffaa0fbb7c5756f12d7f.png

Brews slower, so it doesn't dump water in the basket as fast.  I don't have that kind of patience so I just add more grounds.  My Cuisnart has that feature too, it also has a built in K-cup maker so I can have a cup of coffee while waiting on my coffee.  Which reminds me, I need coffee.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I have a similar Mr Coffee.  Have you ever used the "Brew Strength" button? And what makes the "Strong" brew different than the "Regular"???

image.png.960d7859e235ffaa0fbb7c5756f12d7f.png

I have used it and I have no idea.  Maybe the water gets hotter?  Apparently it increases the amount of time it takes for the water to go over the coffee.  Not sure how.   Makes it stronger but not necessarly taste better

https://coffeemakerjournal.blogspot.com/2016/04/what-does-brew-strength-setting-do.html

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have used it and I have no idea.  Maybe the water gets hotter?

Baffling, eh?  I can't think of how it could possible make it stronger. I'm going with "gimmick" but it is good to know that I'm not the only one clueless about it.

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Mine is the same as every morning.  Peet's French Roast.

And probably sitting in an open air cafe on the ocean in Kuilua-Kona, Maxwell house instant would taste great.

I bet that is what they served.  Either that of Chock Full O Nuts.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

So a ever so slightly lower temp to boil the water? Like a vigorous boil vs a roiling, just above a simmer boil?

No, temp is unchanged.  If you run water through faster, it absorbs less of the ground coffee.  Brewing is slower, keeps the water from running through to fast effectively diluting it.  But like I said, I am too impatient and it would require me to make two k cups to bump up the brew strength.  Of course I can't use the K-cup maker and the pot at the same time, so using it is completely not an option because I freaking need my coffee in the morning.

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I EFFING LOVE THE INTERNET!

If this doesn't make you think hipsters aren't great, I don't know what will:

I decided to find out how much time the hot water is in contact with the coffee grounds for each brew strength setting.  I got out my flashlight and a stopwatch.  I brewed a 16 oz pot of coffee at each brew strength setting: regular, bold, and robust and timed how long it took to brew.

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

No, temp is unchanged.  If you run water through faster, it absorbs less of the ground coffee.  Brewing is slower, keeps the water from running through to fast effectively diluting it.  But like I said, I am too impatient and it would require me to make two k cups to bump up the brew strength.  Of course I can't use the K-cup maker and the pot at the same time, so using it is completely not an option because I freaking need my coffee in the morning.

so what makes it flow slower?  Different valving?  Different delivery path?  

Just now, jsharr said:

so what makes it flow slower?  Different valving?  Different delivery path?  

I think gravity changes.  Or maybe some sort of really strong magnetic force?

For me, I usually just alter my bean selection and grind size to get the strength I want.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I think gravity changes.  Or maybe some sort of really strong magnetic force?

For me, I usually just alter my bean selection and grind size to get the strength I want.

I am too lazy, Open the bag, scoop out some grounds, add hot water and wait for the magic to happen.

I have thought about roasting, and burr grinding and pour overs and french presses and then I get tired head and say fornicate it and go to my Walmart Mr. Coffee and my Amazon beans.

• Awesome 1

Kona is nice, but get a percolator.  Just as fast as a drip machine but way better coffee.  That paper sucks up all the oils.

While on vacation, I was in the bakery at the top of the hill getting a nice Ethiopian coffee (that had been dripped and sitting too long), when another patron told me that the bakery at the bottom of the hill had the best coffee in town.  So the following Sunday that's where we went after church.  It was closed.  But their companion restaurant had decent coffee and great Eggs Benedict.  The end.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Kona is nice, but get a percolator.  Just as fast as a drip machine but way better coffee.  That paper sucks up all the oils.

While on vacation, I was in the bakery at the top of the hill getting a nice Ethiopian coffee (that had been dripped and sitting too long), when another patron told me that the bakery at the bottom of the hill had the best coffee in town.  So the following Sunday that's where we went after church.  It was closed.  But their companion restaurant had decent coffee and great Eggs Benedict.  The end.

What about the pour over coffee things or a French press?

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I like both of those - EXCEPT- they are too much effort.  I set the Mr Coffee up the night before, and when my wife comes down in the AM, the coffee is freshly brewed and waiting. Try that with the pour over or french press, and it will be you being woken up by your wife in the morning to make coffee for her "the way only you can make it." :(

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I like both of those - EXCEPT- they are too much effort.  I set the Mr Coffee up the night before, and when my wife comes down in the AM, the coffee is freshly brewed and waiting. Try that with the pour over or french press, and it will be you being woken up by your wife in the morning to make coffee for her "the way only you can make it." :(

I thought you were a project manager??  Why would you actually prepare the coffee when you can have your wife do it?  I mean, you got rights!  It's damn stressful riding your bike and walking the dog.

• Haha 1

Just now, Dottie said:

I thought you were a project manager??  Why would you actually prepare the coffee when you can have your wife do it?  I mean, you got rights!  It's damn stressful riding your bike and walking the dog. 

Being in charge of the coffee buys me the latitude to "pass" on the dopey stuff like grass cutting and deck building.  "Honey, I can either make the coffee or cut the grass. You decide."  Any sane person chooses coffee.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Mr. Coffee and I keep Martha very happy, at least in the coffee department.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

pour over is nothing but a manual drip.  Just don't tell the millenials.

French press is the best, but not everyone has time for that.  I keep one at work, no problem waiting for it while I check email.  Percolator is easy, even if you want to do it well.  Weigh the water as you fill it, weigh the beans in the grinder, grinding takes a few seconds then plug in the pot and walk away

1 minute ago, 12string said:

pour over is nothing but a manual drip.  Just don't tell the millenials.

French press is the best, but not everyone has time for that.  I keep one at work, no problem waiting for it while I check email.  Percolator is easy, even if you want to do it well.  Weigh the water as you fill it, weigh the beans in the grinder, grinding takes a few seconds then plug in the pot and walk away

So I did some reading and it says French press is robust but can mask some of the more delicate parts of the flavor profile and a percolator would give better flavor and the you could really control flavor with a pour over, but it is time consuming.

All I want is the best of both worlds.  Is that too much to ask?

I bought some kind of Kona Coffee from Amazon.  It was good.

I really like the $12.99 (sometimes on sale for $9.99) 2 lb. bag of Mayorga whole bean coffee at Costco:

425589754_MayorgaRoastmastersBlendCostco12_99.jpeg.1d7bfad3b60ae8149177ad3fc75d373c.jpeg

On occasion I'll spurge and get Peet's Arabian Mocha - Java Blend for $17.95/lb from Peet's online (peets.com is having a 15% off sale today, Aug 13 to midnight, so $15.26 + shipping which is about $5 or free for $59+ orders, though sometimes they have a free shipping special that they email customers about. I always order 2-3 different coffees to minimize shipping/lb).  It holds up well even when ordered ground since they roast it close to the time send it to you.  I keep the cheaper beans in the hopper of my Mr. Coffee burr grinder that automatically grinds the exact amount of beans each time and when I want a hit of Mocha - Java, I just measure it straight into the filter.

594701766_PeetsArabianMocha-JavaBlend.jpg.07375366cb5bbcc83b22238084ff35b2.jpg

16 hours ago, 12string said:

Kona is nice, but get a percolator.  Just as fast as a drip machine but way better coffee.  That paper sucks up all the oils

I use a paper filter because the oils (which give the coffee great flavor) also lower your good cholesterol. I was going to give up coffee but decided to start only drinking coffee that was filtered through paper. Actually my cholesterol didn’t change. Makes we wonder about all this science and research stuff.

18 hours ago, jsharr said:

So I did some reading and it says French press is robust but can mask some of the more delicate parts of the flavor profile and a percolator would give better flavor and the you could really control flavor with a pour over, but it is time consuming.

All I want is the best of both worlds.  Is that too much to ask?

Probably true.  French press gives more flavor, but it's not as complex as the percolator.  Also a bit edgier, percolator is softer around the edges.  That's why I like mixing them up.  Sumatras seem better in the press, Ethiopians are better perc'd.

When the kids were in California (way back last week), they were on the Philz side of Philz/Peets, so we were trained not to buy Peets.  I do have to agree.  Peets is better than Folgers or Starbucks, but there's better options available.  Go to Aldi.  Their coffees are much better than most of what you'll find at the local supermarket, and far cheaper.  Definitely at least on par with Peets.  Unless we're buying direct from our favorite Roasters, it's Aldi for everyday coffee.

And Green Mountain used to be a favorite but I've got enough time in as a Vermonter to hate them now.