Destination Weddings - Love Em or Hate Em?

Razors Edge

I love them.  I have been to quite a few, and rarely pass up an opportunity to combine a celebratory event AND a vacation.

My cousin is getting married next month, and I was bummed she didn't listen to my suggestion that she tie the knot in Spain.  She and her fiance love Spain, so I was hoping that might sway them.

I have never really been in a "destination" wedding.  Most have been local, as in Dallas area.  One was in Hot Springs Arkansas, but the couple lived there.  Moved from Dallas.

Only time I really travelled was to be the best man for my college roommate who moved to England.  That was a cool wedding.

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

My brother's reception was on the top floor of the "shopping bag building".

Better than the "toilet bowl"... as you can see I'm familiar with the architectural marvels of that area. 

I know both well.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Only time I really travelled was to be the best man for my college roommate who moved to England.  That was a cool wedding.

Yeah, there is a "true" destination wedding where it is somewhere unique to all involved like a cool beach or a foreign destination, and then there is the sort of "bonus" destination wedding where it may be local for the wedding couple, but it is a vacation of sorts for the guests (some or all). 

I'm happy with either!

I won't re-post the photos from the other thread on cost...but obviously when daughter had a destination wedding. There was no direct flight to the Canary Islands from the States so broke it up spending a few days in Barcelona and a side daytrip to Monserrat  before proceeding to Lanzarote, then back Spent a few days in Madrid which was slightly disappointing but the side daytrip to Toledo, ES was well worth it. The weird thing is, when leaving Lanzarote, it doesn't matter where you connect - Madrid, Frankfurt, London, Amsterdam, Dublin, etc - by the time you arrive there, the planes to the States have already left so you have to spend a night. That is probably why, among English speaking visitors, it is more popular destination for the British and Irish and security was very surprised to see a US Passport.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

I won't re-post the photos from the other thread on cost...but obviously when daughter had a destination wedding

Didn't want to hijack my own thread, but your post inspired this one.  Great story (in the other thread) and cool pics.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Didn't want to hijack my own thread, but your post inspired this one.  Great story (in the other thread) and cool pics.

I will add a few picks here reflecting the destination...not the wedding to avoid repeating the others. It is weird as it is a volcanic island where other islands in the chain, such as Tenerife, are lush tropical. Phenomenal biking with light traffic trough the countryside. 

DSC00274.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Envious 1

Technically our daughters wasn’t a destination wedding but all of my wife’s family had to fly in.  I think if we were in Nebraska few would have come but being in SoCal all of my wife’s extended family came and made a mini vacation out of it.

That was actually a cool aspect of the wedding, all of my wife’s family was together for the first time in over 10 years.

• Heart 2

nope.  JMHO, but weddings should be a big party with all of your family and friends.  Not just the ones wealthy enough to go to an exotic location.  With extra vacation time to burn on a place not of their choosing.

My niece got married at a fancy place 2 hours north of her.  Making it 4 hours for both families.  So it was a destination, not really hard to reach.

My nephew got married nearby.  While we were vacationing at his father's house 6 hours away.  So a destination, even though it was close to home.

• Heart 2

I've been to weddings that involved travel, but in each case the location was the home of either the bride or groom.  For close family or friends, I'd travel if I could, but there may be times I couldn't take that much time or afford the trip. If the couple picks a location that involves a lot of travel, they have to realize that some family and friends may not be able to make it (and maybe that's why they want it).

• Heart 1

I've never been to a destination wedding.

Like Kirby said earlier, the future couple need to understand some of their family members and friends may not be able to attend because of lack of vacation time...and in my family, cost to fly to certain locations.  

Instead these are some local wedding venues I've celebrated wedding/dinner party:

*A castle  --my nephew's wedding   (Casa Loma in Toronto)

*Outdoor lawn /courtyard of a oldest part of University Campus (University of Toronto. Actually historic for Toronto and very nice at Hart House)

*At a banquet hall fashioned like a castle banquet room....dearie's son's wedding

And if you have ever been to Chinese-Canadian weddings where there is focus on....food for guests...  800 guest reception dinner ….one of my cousins  (yea, they are still married with 4 children.)  I've been to several since I was a child.....lobster, fish, all kinds of meat, etc.  Certainly a vegetarian will have to consume a lot of pasta, stir fried rice, etc.  All this meat is not typical of daily living....it is part of treating your guests well.  You can imagine the first time I went to a British-oriented wedding meal.....I found it ho-hum.  Sorry, but that's the truth...I was spoiled.  :) 

And so on.  So the next best thing, in my opinion is a wedding that is culturally/religiously different than what you are familiar with.  

I did like this story today in my news feed:

You Friends Don't Like Using Their Vacation Days to Celebrate Your Wedding

But, the TL/DR is that it isn't really they don't like using the vacation days to celebrate with you, it is that vacations and time off are so screwed up in the US, that people are unduly stressed by using what little time they have on anything, not just your wedding.