The Other Type Of Brewing

Razors Edge

...is local beer.  Been trying a few new options this past week:

IMG_7667.thumb.JPG.4825648d5cae00bc3ac872b937641a89.JPG

IMG_7670.thumb.JPG.c50c7c1a4310080253395440118c2ce7.JPG

Of the two, the Solace Brewing Partly Cloudy IPA was the tastier.  Definitely a fruity taste, I guess due to the Citra hops? Could be the El Dorado ones, but those don't sound too fruity. Not sure where Solace's bricks & mortar location is, though.

image.png.89e553dec6cdd832fb1783a2a1e84038.png

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...is local beer.  Been trying a few new options this past week:

IMG_7667.thumb.JPG.4825648d5cae00bc3ac872b937641a89.JPG

IMG_7670.thumb.JPG.c50c7c1a4310080253395440118c2ce7.JPG

Of the two, the Solace Brewing Partly Cloudy IPA was the tastier.  Definitely a fruity taste, I guess due to the Citra hops? Could be the El Dorado ones, but those don't sound too fruity. Not sure where Solace's bricks & mortar location is, though.

image.png.89e553dec6cdd832fb1783a2a1e84038.png

Solace is just west of Dulles Airport. Take 50 west to Rt 606 (Loudoun County Pkwy). Left on Evergreen Mills, they’ll be on the right. Or take 606 thru Herndon cross 28, right on Evergreen Mills, etc. it’s a nice brewery. I met one of the owners, our beer club at work was invited to brew there in early 2020. We’ll see if he remembers. It’s nice to see Beltway putting out their own beers, they used to be mostly contract brewers.

2 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Solace is just west of Dulles Airport. Take 50 west to Rt 606 (Loudoun County Pkwy). Left on Evergreen Mills, they’ll be on the right. Or take 606 thru Herndon cross 28, right on Evergreen Mills, etc. it’s a nice brewery. I met one of the owners, our beer club at work was invited to brew there in early 2020. We’ll see if he remembers. It’s nice to see Beltway putting out their own beers, they used to be mostly contract brewers.

FTR, I got both at the Sterling Costco. Nice to see a monster shop like them supporting some local folks.  Be interesting to hear what the owners felt about dealing with Costco.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

FTR, I got both at the Sterling Costco. Nice to see a monster shop like them supporting some local folks.  Be interesting to hear what the owners felt about dealing with Costco.

Nice to hear that Costco is carrying them. The owners don’t deal with Costco though. VA ABC laws require Costco to use a licensed distributor; they can’t buy direct from the brewery. Bruce Oliver, the founder at Old Dominion, found out the hard way when the ABC gave him a taking to after learning he was selling kegs to restaurants out of his van. But back in the early 90’s beer distributors wouldn’t talk to him. He created his own demand. The restaurants pushed the distributors to carry the brand. Times have changed.

3 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Nice to hear that Costco is carrying them. The owners don’t deal with Costco though. VA ABC laws require Costco to use a licensed distributor; they can’t buy direct from the brewery. Bruce Oliver, the founder at Old Dominion, found out the hard way when the ABC gave him a taking to after learning he was selling kegs to restaurants out of his van. But back in the early 90’s beer distributors wouldn’t talk to him. He created his own demand. The restaurants pushed the distributors to carry the brand. Times have changed. 

The stupidity of regional alcohol rules are tough to top. :(