Am I being a jerk?

Airehead

The mats are going down in the barn. They were bought to maximize canine safety. They also show footprints if walked on with damp or dirty shoes. Our trainer requires you to bring a pair of clean dry shoes if you want to train with them. We aren’t doing anything commercial but I want to tell friends who come over that they must have a clean pair of shoes other than the ones they just wore in our gravel driveway and muddy yard.   Or should I just never let anyone else use the space?

367F3454-AF3B-48E1-A6C0-C4C4245CFA2F.jpeg

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

Make sure they have a bench to sit on for shoe changing...and no doggie should be allowed to eat any out door shoe during the session!

I see this no different from asking people to take off their shoes when they enter into someone's home.  I come from a family that is like that.  All 6 children took off their shoes. Regardless of age.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Forum Administrator said:

I have friends that ask that I take off my shoes when I go in their house.  I don't see how this this different.

If someone forgets, could they go barefoot?

Yes and the surface is really slip proof, you can actually run on it in socks. 

24 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Not at all.  People are told to take their shoes off qhen they come to our house.  

Buy some of those shoe covers from a safety supply store.  Tell people but if they forget, they slip these over their outside shoes

S-7873BLU.jpg

I would have said this but zephyr beat me to it.  When we go to open houses as my wife loves to do they often have a box of these by the door.

• Heart 2

There probably isn't much reason for people to be walking on the mats, but I see no reason not to ask people to take off their shoes.  I like the idea of having a bench or even some slipper socks around in case somoene needs them.

• Heart 1

Only one thought, as I don't have an issue with clean shoes, but what about the dogs?  Dirt sticks to and in dog paws.  Do you have to clean their paws before entering?  If not the entire shoe thing (unless muddy) is kind of pointless.  The mats are going to get dirty anyways from dogs.

My house floors are dirty from the dogs, not the kids shoes.

• Heart 1

It is unfortunate that the door doesn't have a path around the mat, but don't think could re-lay the foam to allow due to the connection seams. Assuming that you allow shoes in the house, ever thought of a clear overlay runner to the door? It would serve two purposes. First, no shoes on the mat, and next would protect the mat, particularly from ladies wearing heels that would gouge the foam. Also, you are far enough north, where is the winter mud room and is that part of the path to it? To re-enforce the message, have a bench and shoe storage area when in the room near the runner.

About one a month, I run into a house I am photographing that requires "no shoes per owner." Also, if I am doing video, even with a stabilizer, I can further eliminate stepping bounce if take my shoes off. (also, there is a special walking technique using the ball of the feet that further minimizes bounce for a smooth video.)

Also, while I don't have a problem waling around in my socks, noted during open house/broker open tours that require no shoes due to owner policies, some of the lady realtors do as removing shoes has them either barefoot or in nylons. As a result, always have a box of those disposable footies available.

20 hours ago, Kirby said:

There probably isn't much reason for people to be walking on the mats, but I see no reason not to ask people to take off their shoes.  I like the idea of having a bench or even some slipper socks around in case somoene needs them.

People will run on the mats with their dogs. 

Yes, there will be matting over the mats by the doors and a bench. So it will be an entry space. Hopefully by Sunday I can show you.

People who will be coming into this space will only be there to use the agility space. We won’t use it for other things. There are actually dog foot mats.  Then the go in the washer.