Recognize this ?

Further

Those that sting tend to have much longer tentacles.  The moon jellys and those like them (cross jellies, scalloped jellies and water jellies) have tentacles an inch or two long, those that sting (lions mane, fried egg jellyfish etc) have tentackes that reach out ten, twenty feet out from their bell.

The best way is ti know the types common in the area.  Up here there are a few(as mentioned above) that sting, but none are serious to our health..., more like a bee sting.  

We dont have box jellies or man o wars up here to worry about fatal stings

10 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Those that sting tend to have much longer tentacles.  The moon jellys and those like them (cross jellies, scalloped jellies and water jellies) have tentacles an inch or two long, those that sting (lions mane, fried egg jellyfish etc) have tentackes that reach out ten, twenty feet out from their bell.

The best way is ti know the types common in the area.  Up here there are a few(as mentioned above) that sting, but none are serious to our health..., more like a bee sting.  

We dont have box jellies or man o wars up here to worry about fatal stings

I am still going to treat all jellyfish like wild mushrooms and just stay away!

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

You guys ever get stung by them?  Suxs terrible.

Let me tell you a story....

We were vacationing in Gulf Shores Alabama.  This was pre-kids and pre-responsibilities.   We had chairs down at the edge of the water with a cooler.  The typical beach chairs that sit almost in the sand.  Legs in the water.  Water washing up to our shorts.  The jellies were out in force.  They were thick in the Gulf, hardly anyone was out in the water.  A little wave came up and washed something up the leg of my baggy shorts.  It was a strange sensation, almost like a warm zip-lock bag full of gel.  Then it stung me.  Right on the tip of one the places where a man never wants to get stung.  It didn't hurt long, but damn.... it was intense while it did. 

Everyone just thought that they were looking at a drunken 250 pound white dude dancing in the surf to the Bob Marley that was playing. 

This, my friends, is a 100% true story.

• Sad 1