Are you OK with making a fool of yourself?

Square Wheels

Tomorrow I will play two songs with the band.  She Talks to Angels and The Rain Song.  The band does not know The Rain Song, so it will be just me on guitar, no other instruments - that's terrifying.  It's far from easy.  My step brother will sing.  When Zeppelin does it, it's clear they recorded it with two guitars, plus an orchestra.

I will make mistakes, I will do my best to recover.  I want to do this, but in some ways I don't.  It's one for the few times I'll get to play in front of people.

Also, I "practice" about 10 minutes a month.  I took about 20 years off from playing.  If I had done this in my early 20's I would have been fine.

My step brother is trying to talk me into TNT also, it's really easy, but I'm not sure I want to.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

Good luck!  A large percentage of the mistakes you make, you'll be the only one to notice.  Enjoy it and dont worry about it.  All of my best stories end up with ".... and they were looking at me like I was an idiot." Learn to embrace your inner fool!  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I always find myself getting confused on the open tuning when I played it, but it sounds better.  That damn E chord!

relax.  You're gonna do fine. 

Having it in open E actually makes it really easy to play.  You play the open E, then add on a 2 finger "E" to it, then you bar over the top 4 at 7, then drop to 5...  She talks to angels should be OK, I'll flug the intro and other picking parts just because they are kinda fast.

It's The Rain Song, I'm not ready.  My step brother will be here early, we'll go through it together before I do it live.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

....I can juggle too. :)  But I can't do it while simultaneously playing the accordion.  I bet if I could do that , people would watch.

Cool! When I was performing, my specialty was knives and bowling balls.

• Heart 1

Honestly, no. I hate making a fool of myself publicly. But that has never stopped me from doing so... ?

But I’ve played in public, sang in public, given public speeches and messed up on all of them.  But no one ever came to me and said, “you looked a fool.”  Most people congratulated me.

SW, it takes a bit of courage to risk performing in front of others. And that’s what people will admire. ?

Go have fun!

...they call this "performance anxiety". Almost everyone gets it in some degree. When I was doing theater in college most of the people I acted with also experienced it.  Some people get it worse than others, and it does seem that rehearsing a lot helps to deal with some of it.  But there's no feeling quite like blowing a line or a riff in front of  large crowd of people. Sometimes it helps to drink just a little bit to take the edge off.  Generally, I have found that pot just makes your chances of screwing the pooch worse.

Xanax is the drug of choice for any anxiety related thing.  Half or a quarter tab of Xanax and even if you screw up, it won't seem important.

• Heart 1

Channel some soul and it’s all good. 

mr. and I went to a Brewhouse on the other side of town to have a couple of pints and wait for #2 son, who was at a movie with his speech therapy group. There was a live band, and all of the musicians looked like guys who have day jobs and just enjoy playing live on a Friday night. It was fun. They missed a few notes and sang “Jambalaya, On the Bayou”with as much exuberance as a funeral march, but the rhythm was on and the crowd was into it, and we all had a great time.,

Self depreciating humor getting a laugh is far better than insulting others - even if they deserve it - for a laugh. Just go in for the solo and set the expectation low. Tell them you have been playing guitar for a long time. Two weeks is a long time isn't it?

If I wasn't willing to be a fool, I wouldn't do most of the fun stuff!

You would be AMAZED at the mistakes you can make playing music that the audience doesn't hear - as long as you are having fun with it.  My soloing skills are quite limited.  Trying to get solos "right" was killing songs.  when I finally learned to just let the fingers do their thing, suddenly the life came back.  I play a ton of notes that don't belong, the crowd loves it.  Be a fool.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, 12string said:

I play a ton of notes that don't belong, the crowd loves it.  Be a fool.

I would rather see a musician who makes the song his own than play it note for note. 

One day I was playing a song when someone asked me if I was trying to sound like Stevie Ray Von and I said no. And when SRV recorded it he did play like Larry Davis. Make it your own. 

I just like to be entertained