Ask and you shall receive

KrAzY

21 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

OK back to the chili’s...What do you do with them?  Our LGS has been selling them too but I wouldn’t know what to do with them.

We make pepper relish, cowboy candy, and just can them for later use.

There are time we mix them in when making hamburgers, Mac and cheese, or anywhere you can add a pepper.

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Are they hot like a jalapeño?

Jalapenos are all over the board on heat. I'd say the Hatches are a bit hotter than a mild jalapeno but not as hot as a hot jalapeno. 

But my experience is limited, we don't get Hatches here often. But when I do find some I always buy some.  

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Are they hot like a jalapeño?

There are three types of hatch Chili's. 

Mild: better flavor then a green pepper with little to no heat. Great for making into mild meals.

Medium: about the heat of a jalapeno with a different meaty flavor. great for hamburgers 

Hot: opens your sinuses up and makes you shit fire. Great for chili and spicy meals where you want that little extra. (Mix between a habanero in a serrano)

You will want to roast them first. That is what gives them all their good flavors.

Last year I got in trouble because since they all look exactly the same.. I mixed all three heats into one shopping bag. It was pepper roulette :)

it did not go over too well with the wife :(

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

I have yet to see the pepper community acknowledge or measure the variability of jalapeno heat.

Oops!  Wikiepdia does.

It can have a range of pungency, with Scoville heat units of 3,500 to 8,000.[3]

Hmm, this scale says they all have a wide range. Maybe the problem is the scale for jalapenos is snot wide enough,

Same for Italian Long Hots - they can be kickass and they are rated very low here.

Heat-Chart.jpg

• Heart 2

I have a friend who used to live in Albuquerque. She got me turned onto Hatch Chile’s.

Like any pepper, they have a variation on the heat. When Dad has his garden we learned soil quality makes a huge difference in the heat. We had 2 gardens on our property. The north was more fertile soil. More sandy/loam. The south garden had more clay and not as rich. 

He grew the jalapeños in the north garden. They were normally hot. One year we fertilized that garden with droppings from the chicken house. We could barely eat the jalapeños they were so hot! As time went on, Dad couldn’t handle the pepper heat as much. He moved the jalapeños to the south garden before giving up on them completely. 

• Heart 1