Your stretching exercises

shootingstar

I watched this guy's wakeup morning exercises...sort of stretching, warm-up.  http://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/the-chief-habit-your-ten-minute-morning-fitness-plan

I rarely do any in the morning. After a light breakfast, I just jump onto the bike.  It's only in evening, if I'm diligent enough, I'll do some stretching exercises at home in the evening. It's mainly to prevent myself from becoming stiff, accidental muscle strains and maintain some basic balance. It's a weird blend of different exercises I've picked up over the years, some basic yoga manoeuvres, tai-chi, etc. Some of the moves are very Eastern-based...mimicking an animal. Some of the stuff has been ,standing on 1 foot (no not the tree pose, there's other poses). Try to pay basic attention to body alignment, shoulder width stances, etc. so it's done not (too) wrong.  The whole routine is only 20 min. or less (if I'm lazy).  It helps me prevent back ache, improves abit on core for long distance cycling and allows me to twist when I need to look behind me on bike.

I tend to sleep better, go to the washroom better/get cleared better....sorry. True.

I took for granted these simple exercises....until I got my concussion several yrs. ago.  At the time, I was recovering, I could not even do some of the exercises without getting dizzy.

• Heart 1

I never do stretching for bicycling, but since I am mostly a jogger now

I walk about 1/4 mile, jog slowly for another 1/4 mile or so, find something solid about knee high that I can put a foot on and stretch my hamstrings out, a couple stretches on each leg, holding for 15 seconds or so makes a noticeable difference in my stride and comfort. I may repeat this routine a couple times.   

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

That is insane

I don't quite see the point of his exercise unless one is in gymnastics. It looks too dangerous for many people to execute safely.

I do have a niece competing in gymnastics at the Ontario regional level. She would be doing his type of exercise, but not straining so hard without using her hands to hold body on floor to do a leg split.  She practices about 10 hrs. per wk. Her strength is parallel bars and mat routines where she does backward flips, forward flips, handsprings, etc. Her upper  chest/back width is wider than ...her 2 older brothers because of her upper body strength.  She is on the left.

(There are 2 half-Chinese niece and nephew.)

IMG_7617 AA2.jpg

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tai+chi+warm+ups&&view=detail&mid=587CAA3405892B7F22C6587CAA3405892B7F22C6&rvsmid=0AD588B7891ADCB431DA0AD588B7891ADCB431DA&FORM=VDQVAP

If you move the video to around 5 minute...she shows simple balance and loosening on 1 foot...  A lot of these exercises are simply to warm up the joints, open up energy channels before the 120+ tai chi different movements....I gave up because I didn't want an exercise routine to memorize(!). 

27 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I am trying to meditate in the mornings...my PT exercises got in the way for a bit...but I am moving PT to before bed. I need to get back to yoga on a regular basis..or maybe a few yoga poses in the am.

I have to relearn the warrior pose....after my concussion I couldn't do it properly on 1 of my legs.. https://www.sensational-yoga-poses.com/balancing-on-one-foot.html

I meditate (if I can call it that) better in evening.  I find it better....just to cycle to work early, change clothing..having my coffee with hardly any staff around and start work at my normal start which is 1/2 hr. later. So I deliberately leave home much earlier just so I have this quiet time in lunch room before going to office floor.   I have no computer in front of me, my thoughts wander with no goal.  That's how I relax my head before work. I can't rush into the office, BAM and start my work immediately  in the morning.

I have a decent sized menu of stretches, most from several years of martial arts. I don't do them all in workout, sometimes I don't do any at all  I always stretch after a warm up.

Seated:

• Hurdlers: forward, side, back
  • legs in a vee as wide as they'll go: forward and side to side; off side arm over the top when I'm feeling stretchy
  • soles of feet together, push knees towards floor; nose to toes. 
  • Bend leg in, put other leg over ankle-to-0knee, use elbow to stretch back

Standing:

• single leg hammy stretch
  • single leg soleus stretch
  • single leg "American" splits
  • calf stretches
  • toe touches with legs in various separations
  • single leg groin/hammy stretches (roundhouse kick stretch)
  • quad stretch
  • that yoga pose, arm outstretched, opposite leg bent back holding ankle

Oh, and for all that is holy, DO NOT BOUNCE!

5 hours ago, 2Far said:

Oh, and for all that is holy, DO NOT BOUNCE!

Yea, that no bounce mantra is good.

At least for the simpler yoga I know and basic Pilates, none of the exercises involve bouncing. What is more critical is proper body alignment while doing the exercises.  I noticed when I went for physiotherapy, some of the recommended safe exercises were yoga based, she also made sure my head, body /limbs were properly aligned when making certain movements, and the physiotherapist told me never bounce, but stretch slowly and safely.

• Awesome 1