Frustration at the grocery store

petitepedal

So..the closest store other than Aldi which temporarily closed for remodeling..is Cub..our store..about a mile from me did a renovation last year..they added a popcorn shop..what sold for 99cents last year..they now want $3.99 for :whistle: 

I wasn't looking for much..but gee 2 containers of raspberries $6..they rang up at $3.99..cottage cheese..sign said $2.49..they rang it up at $3.49 and a 12 pack of ginger ale/lemonade on sale for $3.69 they charged me $4.69...

I called her on the soda and she changed it...and I told her forget the raspberries and cottage cheese...:angry: WTF if they can't  keep up with their prices...why should I shop there..It was frustrating..but I know those items were the lesser price..I was only going to get 1 raspberry  but changed my mind looking at them all stacked there..I did a double take at the cottage cheese price...and the ginger ale too.. Guess I won't be shopping there anymore. 

• Sad 1

There is a grocery  store in the city that puts sale prices on big signs on the shelves  and when you get to the checkout they ask you if you have their super saver card. When I say no they ring the sale items up at about double what the sign on the shelf said. Then someone has to put all my groceries back on the shelves because I walk out. They got me about three times over the last ten years when we were right there and needed a few items. I know better now and don’t go in that store.

30 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

So..the closest store other than Aldi which temporarily closed for remodeling..is Cub..our store..about a mile from me did a renovation last year..they added a popcorn shop..what sold for 99cents last year..they now want $3.99 for :whistle: 

I wasn't looking for much..but gee 2 containers of raspberries $6..they rang up at $3.99..cottage cheese..sign said $2.49..they rang it up at $3.49 and a 12 pack of ginger ale/lemonade on sale for $3.69 they charged me $4.69...

I called her on the soda and she changed it...and I told her forget the raspberries and cottage cheese...:angry: WTF if they can't  keep up with their prices...why should I shop there..It was frustrating..but I know those items were the lesser price..I was only going to get 1 raspberry  but changed my mind looking at them all stacked there..I did a double take at the cottage cheese price...and the ginger ale too.. Guess I won't be shopping there anymore. 

Right...yea better take your business elsewhere.  With automation, it can't be too hard for a store to key in the proper info.

• Heart 1

I just returned from the store without some items that needed an ap.  Some of the cashiers in the past have allowed us 'old folks' without aps to get the items at the ap price, but that may have come to an end.  I get some funny looks, when I tell them that I think the requirement of aps is discrimination.  :whistle:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I just returned from the store without some items that needed an ap.  Some of the cashiers in the past have allowed us 'old folks' without aps to get the items at the ap price, but that may have come to an end.  I get some funny looks, when I tell them that I think the requirement of aps is discrimination.  :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqDUXxgVpEA

There used to be a store nearby that had a policy of "no special coupons or codes" - just the same price for everyone.  They changed that and now you need to have signed up, give a phone number and enter passwords to get the sale prices.  I don't mind using a "loyalty card", but the digital coupons at the grocery store are annoying.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

There is a grocery  store in the city that puts sale prices on big signs on the shelves  and when you get to the checkout they ask you if you have their super saver card. When I say no they ring the sale items up at about double what the sign on the shelf said. Then someone has to put all my groceries back on the shelves because I walk out. They got me about three times over the last ten years when we were right there and needed a few items. I know better now and don’t go in that store.

I abandoned the most carts at Kmart, usually because the darn lines always got hung up for an interminable “price check”. Sometimes I stuck it oot because I really needed the stuff and didnt want to have to go through the whole process again. 

Out lgs has gotten a LOT better with their price marking accuracy, thank goodness. 

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

There is a grocery  store in the city that puts sale prices on big signs on the shelves  and when you get to the checkout they ask you if you have their super saver card. When I say no they ring the sale items up at about double what the sign on the shelf said. 

When visiting son in CT the two primary grocery stores, which do not have stores in FL, have similar super saver cards. When they ask, I simply tell them I am visiting from FL, and they pull out a card that they swipe, or in one case, the individual in line behind me hands me their card. I never have understood the marketing concept of creating a second class customer who doesn't have their gimmick card which is not limited to the grocery industry. Frankly, any person who walks in with money and purchases an item is first class. That said, I do enjoy my 10% military discount at Lowes and Home Depot that they didn't limit to active and retired like so many companies do, but all veterans. ?

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Just finished reading the Sunday paper with all it's ads and coupons. Procter & Gamble, while they have cut out coupons for various item, some, such as Tide, require going to their app to get the coupon. First time I did it, the store had trouble reading the printout but manually overrode noting that it was a consistent problem. A few weeks later, the second time I attempted it, while I did delay from Sunday to Thursday, receive the message that they had met the maximum number allotted and no longer issuing. WTF...I didn't jump through all the hoops entering data for the fun of it. NEVER AGAIN! They can take their app and shove it where the sun don't shine, and I now intentionally buy the competitor's product...which typically may have a physical coupon.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

When visiting son in CT the two primary grocery stores, which do not have stores in FL, have similar super saver cards. When they ask, I simply tell them I am visiting from FL, and they pull out a card that they swipe, or in one case, the individual in line behind me hands me their card. I never have understood the marketing concept of creating a second class customer who doesn't have their gimmick card which is not limited to the grocery industry. Frankly, any person who walks in with money and purchases an item is first class. That said, I do enjoy my 10% military discount at Lowes and Home Depot that they didn't limit to active and retired like so many companies do, but all veterans. ?

That is quite annoying.

The stores around here all have the saver's cards. The locals know you need them to get the good price, but the weekend residents and tourists get charged full price. All I'll say (while they're ringing me up) is I forgot my card and they'll scan the one they have at the register so I can get the discount. 

Sounds like they need my job position there.. that's what I do all day. 

I sit in my office and watch TV or movies waiting for price changes to filter down from corporate. Once the small batches come in, I print the tags and hand them to the team lead of that department to be changed. 

Our store is about 20-30 min different from what the registers say it is. 

Typically this all gets done before the store opens for business each day. 

I also spot scan through the store and audit departments throughout the day to make sure they are getting the right tags up, and that nothing in our system is wrong. 

32 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I have the inside track on what going on sale at the local grocery store chain. 

I just happen to be sleeping with the lady who handles pricing and sales flyers. 

Does your wife do what I do? 

When we have products being discontinued, I bring my shopping cart with me incase I want to buy the cheapest items in the store :)

i love being in charge and seeing all the stuff before anyone else does.

6 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Does your wife do what I do? 

When we have products being discontinued, I bring my shopping cart with me incase I want to buy the cheapest items in the store :)

She works in pricing at the local grocery store corporate office. She sends the product prices out to the stores and works with the sale flyers before they go to print so we know what going on sale about a week or two before everyone else. 

And since they watch what the competition is doing we know what store has the best price on what products. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

She works in pricing at the local grocery store corporate office. She sends the product prices out to the stores and works with the sale flyers before they go to print so we know what going on sale about a week or two before everyone else. 

And since they watch what the competition is doing we know what store has the best price on what products. 

That's cool.. I work on the store level and get to see what's going on for the next couple weeks before the sale hits. I just print and handout. 

I'm also in charge of the graphic arts,IT work, kids programs (with the help of someone else), and many other things in our store. It gives me a lot of freedom in doing whatever I want without too much trouble from anyone else. 

Basically I just wonder around pretending I'm busy most of the day ?

• Heart 1

Our local grocery uses a “fuel saver” card. Instead of card discounts, they have signs that purchasing certain items is worth x cents off each gallon at their convenience store or another convenience store chain. Good on up to 20 gallons of gas. We don’t chase the items so the best I have ever done was $1 off per gallon. I know people who are religious about it and get their gas for pennies per gallon. There is an app with coupons. You click the ones you want and it’s supposed to give you the coupon when it scans your card. Simpler than some of the other nonsense if I remember to take the time. 

A couple of years ago I was getting lazy and forgetting to check my receipt before I left the supermarket - everything paid by credit card.  What cured me was shopping at the supermarket closest to my sister's house, driving 30 min. to my home and noticing and noticing the new employee working the deli counter charged me $53 for $5 worth of lunch meat.  That meant an hour of driving to straighten it out!  But that straightened me out - I don't forget to check now!