your choice of foreign news sources- English language

shootingstar

For the US, I read the magazine....Atlantic Monthly. I like it better than Time Magazine. 

If I was willing to pay as an online subscriber, Washington Post, New York Times.

When I was trying to learn more about Japan.... Japan Times.  It reveals what the society is doing now..not just the romantic, lovely side of Japan.

As for China...I just rely on Canadian media.  It's good enough.  Yea, there will be a lot of Canadians, if they can afford it, returning back to Canada to live from HK, with the current tense political demonstrations there.

11 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Reuters and Associated Press.  Almost all others are state sponsored propaganda. 

Atlantic Monthly was/is run by David Frum, former speech writer from Canada for Bush.... He has been avowedly Republican and did remain so, when he was invited to Canada for a public talk , I think last year. However he has taken a thoughtful route in issue analysis while staying to his preferred political platform.

I like the Atlantic Monthly and range of what they write.

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Atlantic Monthly was/is run by David Frum, former speech writer from Canada for Bush.... He has been avowedly Republican and did remain so, when he was invited to Canada for a public talk , I think last year. However he has taken a thoughtful route in issue analysis while staying to his preferred political platform.

I like the Atlantic Monthly and range of what they write.

I worked for a news group that employed David Frum and have had several dialogues with him.  Decidedly boring intellect with limited social skills.   Mr. Axis of evil. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, wilbur said:

I worked for a news group that employed David Frum and have had several dialogues with him.  Decidedly boring intellect with limited social skills.  

A lot of intellectuals are boring. Very few have dynamic social skills.

A brother-in-law teaches various engineering courses at University of Toronto. He is an associate prof. (or maybe he's full...since he was acting dean).  He makes lame math jokes at his lectures because he shares them with his daughter who herself was an engineer, now romance novel writer. 

What I like about him is that he actually rarely talks about shop unless we ask him and he doesn't say much when asked. He's very good in general in explaining a lot of complicated non-engineering matters in easier to digest ways.  He also enjoys reading literary novels....the type that are more complex and win literary national/world awards.  It's good exercise different parts of brain.  He is a humble person and gets along well some immigrant relatives in my family who know very little English.

He is Caucasian....just so you understand the family dynamics.

I like The Atlantic for online - nice thorough articles and none of that registration crappola like the NYT.  I've looked a lot for the most unbiased and BBC comes aboot as close to neutral as you can get.  The Atlantic is a little left of center.  I think the NYT does fair for neutrality but it is hard to tell with my 3 or 4 free articles per month. :D

Back pre-internet, I  used to subscribe alternately to Time and Newsweek and I would usually read them cover to cover.  Never really checked oot any online versions.

12 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I like The Atlantic for online - nice thorough articles and none of that registration crappola like the NYT.  I've looked a lot for the most unbiased and BBC comes aboot as close to neutral as you can get.  The Atlantic is a little left of center.  I think the NYT does fair for neutrality but it is hard to tell with my 3 or 4 free articles per month. :D

Yea, that paywall situation.  And going to the library news databases (via your library card. That's the purpose of that library card number...for you to plug in the ID to access the databases), doesn't help because most news major outlets place an embargo on their most recent news....not to be released in  the licenced paid aggregate news databases until several days later.  All library directors have to know this when they sign database licensing contract fees. 

You're right, BBC is a great start on foreign news worldwide  in English language.  I watched BBC when I was in Japan.  Not American news.... 

Guardian and Asia Times.

I have WAPO, and watch a lot of Cspan.

I do a lot of MSNBC, mostly because they get people worth listening to. If there's a Supreme Court case, you are most likely to see a lawyer that argued that case on MSNBC. I particularly like the way Chris Hayes drills into racism.

Beyond that, there's a ton of websites I visit sporadically.

48 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Hmm, Wilbur nailed it (if this chart can be believed)! 

The emphasis should be on quality.

If I was going to make a chart on that, the axis would be good to bad writing.

I have subscribed to the Economist, it's my favorite weekly. I can't afford it these days, and it's conservative, but the writing is often top notch.

IOW, I am not saying Lefty good, Righty bad.

I'm mostly interested in what works.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, late said:

I have subscribed to the Economist, it's my favorite weekly. I can't afford it these days, and it's conservative, but the writing is often top notch.

I agree, simplistic labels suck!

The patent lawyer that started that chart is parlaying it into a company, and quality is part of the deal. I like the complex analysis thing, delving into the whole history of a subject.  I think it is a great way to learn from history, to put things in the long term perspective.

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I guess I could register for the NYT, not sure what that gets you, but I haven't.

It gets you full online access, and NYT adds content three times a day. They have games, too, which are fun in a mindful time-wasting kind of way.

My educator account is $4 per month.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, late said:

The Economist is good reading. My debate team has a subscription. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

MW-GE557_MediaB_20180228115701_NS.jpg?uu

Hmm, Wilbur nailed it (if this chart can be believed)! 

Interesting story on the chart"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-biased-is-your-news-source-you-probably-wont-agree-with-this-chart-2018-02-28

AP and Reuter’s are wire services. My school newspaper can publish a Reuter piece. 

My online news folder includes NYT, NPR, and PBS. I’ll surf Vox, Huff Post, Weekly Standard, and Red State from time to time for a refresher in perspective. It’s nice to know where people are coming from. 

• Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, roadsue said:

AP and Reuter’s are wire services. My school newspaper can publish a Reuter piece. 

My online news folder includes NYT, NPR, and PBS. I’ll surf Vox, Huff Post, Weekly Standard, and Red State from time to time for a refresher in perspective. It’s nice to know where people are coming from. 

https://www.apnews.com/

They have a pretty good website, but ChrisL is right, it is depressing to read about 63 dead in a Kabul wedding bombing, danmmit.

• Sad 1

Mostly NPR for impartial news. In the “fake” news shows, I like the Daily Show. While they are liberal, they skewer the left and the right. Trevor Noah is from South Africa so it’s interesting to get his “from the outside looking in” perspective. For the record, I see plenty of Fox News in my boss’s office and at clients so I get other perspectives as well. 

37 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't think Al Jazeera's bias falls under left/right criteria.  

I'll take a look.

Hmm, this just clouds the issue.  There is still an Englich language Al Jazeera,  I didn't realize it was Quatar behind it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/opinion/why-america-turned-off-al-jazeera.html

OK, now it is Al Jazeera Englich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera_English#The_Americas

All this bias stuff makes me realize that I often go to Wikipedia to get a common frame of reference.  I think they do a pretty good job of neutrality. It is a colossus, that is for sure!  I am amazed at its continued persistence and development!

1 hour ago, groupw said:

Mostly NPR for impartial news. In the “fake” news shows, I like the Daily Show. While they are liberal, they skewer the left and the right. Trevor Noah is from South Africa so it’s interesting to get his “from the outside looking in” perspective. For the record, I see plenty of Fox News in my boss’s office and at clients so I get other perspectives as well. 

I asked for and got Trevor Noah's autobiography for my birthday a few years ago.  His life prior to comedy and political satire/coming to North America, is incredible.  He was born under apartheid in South Africa.  He does state in his book, that his very existence, was illegal at the time, half-black.  His mother was and still is deeply religious. Noah was praying and singing with church as a child.  He already was on stage, "praying"....as a child. 

The biography does detail life in Soweto and on the edges...and what It was like for him as half-black.  Tales of survival, violence and ingenuity.

• Heart 1

I like BBC and the Guardian, they have far less skin in the game and can be more impartial.  I do understand that any news, like entertainment, because they comment on society without actually being intentional participants, will lean somewhat liberal.

TV news is for entertainment purposes only.  NONE of them deal in straight up facts.

I like BBC.  They are less sensational and more objective and less hide-facts-to-make-the-story-more-controversial than the American Media.

I use Smart RSS reader with Firefox Browser - which discontinued its excellent built-in RSS reader about a year ago.

RSS is a system that links headlines to stories and on many news pages - USA Today, ABC, etc. there's an RSS link to use in your RSS reader. That allows you to peruse a lot of headlines in a short time.

Smart RSS is slow to open, but runs fast once it updates - I have to learn to limit how many stories it keeps in memory - that's what slows it down.  Here's an example of it. You can click on Business, Health, etc. to see just the stories in those categories for each news outfit:

935925226_SmartRSSexample.JPG.91783f396ffe8414f974e50c6d3a5069.JPG