Tonight's steak

2Far

14 hours ago, 2Far said:

Low and slow for about an hour, let it rest a while, then on ultra high for about 5 minutes per side  

0BEAC34F-64BC-4B60-9825-B343A4F60A2B.jpeg

Wow!     I've never heard of this method used for steaks.......can it produce a medium rare one?

My favourite way of cooking steak is using a cast iron Griddle....quickly searing both sides on a high heat and then a little lower temp until the steak yields to just the right point under finger pressure. Unfortunately I can't use this method as it sets off my smoke alarm....not a great problem as I don't eat too much red meat.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, onbike1939 said:

Wow!     I've never heard of this method used for steaks.......can it produce a medium rare one?

My favourite way of cooking steak is using a cast iron Griddle....quickly searing both sides on a high heat and then a little lower temp until the steak yields to just the right point under finger pressure. Unfortunately I can't use this method as it sets off my smoke alarm....not a great problem as I don't eat too much red meat.

It's called a "reverse sear". You can make it any doneness you want. We prefer our ribeyes a little closer to medium than medium-rare because the fat content of the meat makes them a little more jiggly (technical term) @ M/R

I turn it every 10 minutes while on the bake.

The Big Green Egg and Primo ceramic guys cook them at about 200 degrees until about 10-15 degrees below desired doneness. I can't get the gasser that low.

26 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I haven't seen corn on the cob here this year. Dunno what's up with that ?

We have a professional sweetcorn guy he does magic. He plants in many different local locations, starts early spring under plastic, keeps planting way into July and usually has corn from forth of July until Halloween. Sometime adverse weather he loses a week of July or a couple weeks of October. He always has the best corn. Always picked at the perfect time, he never lets his picked corn sit in the sun, it never has worms.

3D2285B0-FD55-4DA6-AA7C-06AE9C59AC84.thumb.jpeg.f7bbbe7ee7d3cb0b1fcc880f33927ba9.jpeg

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, 2Far said:

A guy at work has one of the higher end pellet grills. Says it's great for grilling but not enough smokiness when he smokes. 

This was interesting, but I also wonder how they have changed over the years.  The new ones no longer have a smoke stack.  I also found the description and revue of the pellets interesting.

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/traeger-wheres-smoke-1878/