Cycling is only as hard as tou make it.

Longjohn

I like that!!!  I remember when a good friend of mine first started riding, do 5 miles on the towpath.  He told me that he thought what I was doing was not for the average person.  I told him that it wasn’t as hard as he imagined.  That if he just rde he’d soon be doing 25, 50 miles. I few years later we laughed at that conversation together as he rode his first canal trip from Cumberland to DC.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Cycling is only as hard as you make it.

...and this is generally true of life.  Want to make jogging tough? Run faster or farther.  Want to make swimming tough? Swim faster or farther. Want to make golf tough? Keep score.  Want to make poker tough? Play for money.

Or...

Ride for fun (fast or slow). Run for fun (fast or slow). Swim for fun (fast or slow).  None of us here are competitive paid pros, are we? 

I'm always trying to get folks to just do that first step - get out and do something instead of coming up with all the reasons you can't or won't be able to do something.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

get out and do something instead of coming up with all the reasons you can't or won't be able to do something.

...i don't need a reason to not do something.  Once you survive Catholic school, all that stuff is in the rear view mirror. :) 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

When my bike computer died, I didn't even give it a funeral, much less a next generation.

I ride and run for me, not bragging rights, not to impress anyone.

I preach to slow down, that an injury will cost way more time than taking a day off.

I'm getting into the running (joggling) and am sometimes tempted to push through a bit of pain, no pain no gain, but that mantra is for younger folk than me.

My mantra is 'run fat man, run'  

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2019 at 11:53 PM, smudge said:

I used to think a 12 mile ride was long. Then I started road riding for real. Then I thought I had to go fast. Then I got a cellphone with a camera. Then I started riding in the woods. Now I ride however fast or slow I want, generally in the woods. I see many things I want to stop to look at, and many times I take a picture of it. Then I am happy. And I get back on my bike and pedal like a happy 5-year-old out cruisin' the neighborhood. But my 'hood is the woods, and I am 55.  Ya, life is good when you have a bike. :) 

Here lies sanity..........and I relish it.

• Heart 1