Performance Issue?

smudge

I spent almost a grand on my new Sirrus Elite, and it's not living up to expectations. It doesn't roll for shit. I keep thinking maybe I'm expecting too much and comparing it to my Roubaix. Then I realize my 2005 Sirrus I traded in was rolling better 2 days after I asked LBS to order new bike. Granted, that front wheel had to be placed in exact sweet spot, but it was effortless to ride and enjoy. This thing is work. Think it would be worth taking it to another Specialized shop?

Bleh. I will probably call the shop in Mqt to see what they think. Ya?

I have a pretty sweet Roubaix and I have the hybrid I started on a couple of years ago.  I'd like to convince myself that the Roubaix is faster, but I know it's not, at least not significantly.  I just fixed up the hybrid to give to a friend and took it for a spin to make sure everything was OK.  The bike rode very nice.

Are the brakes rubbing?  Do the wheels spin OK if you lift it off the ground?

I had our local disc brake guru check it out. I think that issue is straightened out. The rear brakes fer shure needed tweaking; I THINK the front is ok. 

The wheels SEEM to spin ok; my daughter's Vita has a much better spin tho.

I was heading back home this morning on a bit of a downward slope of a road, and I could not coast well. I had to pedal with a fair amount of effort. When I was riding the older Sirrus a couple weekends ago, I was with my daughter and had to coast a bit because that bike was rolling so well. (Like I said, had an issue with that front wheel until THAT DAY! when I hit the sweet spot and it rode beautifully)

So ya, I'm a bit concerned with the set-up maybe?  I saw a local news story that featured bike shops in Marquette. There is a Specialized dealer there, and they have a Creamsicle like I have. I'll give them a call to see with they say. ugh....

As I have put together, set-up and sold about 40+ sirrus models with disc brakes, and I just ordered my daughter a Vita elite disc... I can tell you that they roll quite nicely. That's a pretty nice "multi-use" bike and you should not be having issues.

Bring it back to the shop and make them fix it CORRECTLY.

Heh heh, no thanks. I've always liked disc brakes, but he's not good with them. I'm gonna give my brake guy another shot at it. First guy couldn't get it right so he put a washer in there. I forgot to tell my brake guy when I dropped the bike off to him. Gonna tell him to take it out and start from scratch. Should be OK then. If not, trip to Specialized dealer in Marquette hour+ away.

Was messin' with it last night. Front quick release was too tight; working well now. One down, one to go.

Disc brakes are not hard to set up (per se) There are two bolts holding the caliper to the mounting bracket on either the fork or the rear triangle.

If a wheel is rubbing against the brake and it's not rolling correctly then simply loosen the two bolts a little to where you can wiggle the caliper around and then reposition and retighten.

As easy as it sounds, it can be a bit of an art form getting it right. The caliper likes to move on you a lot. I usually start with the bolt closes to the rotor, get it in place and then try and tighten the other one down. Sometimes I get it the first try, sometimes it takes about 10 minutes of absolute frustration.

Then again, it could be the hub that's the problem. Regardless, neither of these issues is rocket science and you don't have to be a spectacular mechanic to diagnose if a wheel is not rolling as it should, what the cause is and fix it (unless mechanically there is an issue, like a bearing that's toast, but on a new wheel I hardly think that would be the case.)

I don't get what the washer was doing there in the first place, well... sort of. Some disc brakes, especially earlier ones, mounted sideways to the frame and one of the adjustment tricks with those to center the caliper was to put a washer in to get it centered.

But the Tektro Draco 2 brakes on the sirrus elite mount top to bottom. Putting a spacer would raise the caliper up but would not fix the side-to-side alignment that would cause the rubbing. It wouldn't really do anything. Heck, You could probably keep it in there and get it to work fine but there's just no need for it.

Unless of course that wasn't where he was putting the washer but where else to put it is beyond me. The brakes are quite simple.

Glad it's fixed.