Dumber than dumb: protest in luxury cars

shootingstar

13 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

you saying Putin is involved?

No, but Twitter disabled over 900 Chinese troll accounts yesterday mostly attributed to the PRC government.  It's becoming difficult to believe any news that seems to point to an excess these days.  Perhaps it's real.  Perhaps it's not.  One has to ask though, supercars???

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

No, but Twitter disabled over 900 Chinese troll accounts yesterday mostly attributed to the PRC government.  It's becoming difficult to believe any news that seems to point to an excess these days.  Perhaps it's real.  Perhaps it's not.  One has to ask though, supercars???

Twitter is shutting down a lot of opposing views in a lot of countries these days.   So far, YouTube just demonetizes them.  

12 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Max the above link gives tv camera footage of what is going on the demonstrations in Toronto and Vancouver with pro-China vs. pro-HK/democracy protest local groups.  Actually here in Calgary too on a smaller scale, no luxury cars. :)  (Although I'm willing to bet there's enough happening, that's not reported yet, on the real estate here, because we are far cheaper than other 2 cities...and yes, we're close to mountains for...a  mountain chalet).

I believe some of the Chinese wealthy protestors who may be recent immigrants...are stupid/appear stupid/naïve...showing off their cars or not even understanding how it appears to Canadians in general.  To them, it's a status symbol they carried over from China if they are from the upper middle class.   The next generation after the hard-boiled Communists of the 1960's and children, if from wealthy families, would be protected/fed well.....some don't even know the China's modern history of violence, torture, etc.  It's not taught fully in school there. 

There is a real split in cultural-socio understanding/awareness between Canadian-born Chinese who have worked their azzes off, seen their parents/grandparents work /sacrifice their whole lives, at low-paying /manual jobs in CAnada  vs. suddenly some (not all) wealthy PRC Chinese immigrants who seem to lack social conscience, understanding of living in a Canadian society that strives for human rights, equitable treatment of others, etc.   (Wilbur pointed out some Richmond, BC Chinese who didn't want Syrian refugees in their area....to me it shows their lack of understanding the broad picture of immigration, what it means to  live in multicultural society....and revealed to me, their snobbishness.)  The wealthy Chinese sometimes leave CAnada to live in HK/China, not just because of running business in China, but also because they found out.....their social status diminished in Canada ...Canadians only saw them as immigrants, not high-powered, wealthy folks and especially if they can't speak English.   In North America,, a person can't hold much broad influence or socio-economic power or status unless they speak English....it affects one's business networking, social influence....

Anyway...forget about travelling to HK for me.  

I wonder if someone began pointing a luxury cars to divert attention from the main issue.

When I was leading a local (Maryland) community protest in the 1980's against hazardous waste storage by the government right over ground water that feeds many drinking water wells, it seemed like anyone with an environmental axe to grind enlisted support from us - even the Love Canal folks in New York.

A woman who had been a major leader in the 1960's Civil Rights movement warned me: "We had a saying, 'Keep your eyes on the prize.' Don't get bogged down in side-issues that some who support your issue don't like and will cause you to lose support."

We stuck to our issue and won.

When the Occupy Wall Street movement began to embrace issues surrounding homosexuality and half a dozen other issues, I knew it was doomed to failure because each additional issue shaved away support.

5 hours ago, Airehead said:

What do luxury cars have to do with protests?  Is protesting only for the poor?

The kids in the cars are party supporters not the pro democracy kids. I think the optics of spoiled rich kids being sent to Toronto/Vancouver/Alberta and counter protesting (pro China) is a poor visual. I think most people assume that only communist party appratchiks have enough money to a)  buy Ferraris & super cars and b) are able to send their kids overseas for university. 

Let's call it the Marie Antoinette syndrome aka LTEC

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I wonder if someone began pointing a luxury cars to divert attention from the main issue.

When I was leading a local (Maryland) community protest in the 1980's against hazardous waste storage by the government right over ground water that feeds many drinking water wells, it seemed like anyone with an environmental axe to grind enlisted support from us - even the Love Canal folks in New York.

A woman who had been a major leader in the 1960's Civil Rights movement warned me: "We had a saying, 'Keep your eyes on the prize.' Don't get bogged down in side-issues that some who support your issue don't like and will cause you to lose support."

We stuck to our issue and won.

When the Occupy Wall Street movement began to embrace issues surrounding homosexuality and half a dozen other issues, I knew it was doomed to failure because each additional issue shaved away support.

True.  There could be.....spies in North America.. as if there weren't any for past few decades.