Have to love a man in uniform

jsharr

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yep.  BTW, I just noticed he really needs to work on his gig line.  He knows this from Scouts and his dad.

He could also go the tailored uniform route. Or do what I did: I gained weight until the shirt fit snugly. I figured if the shirt was mil-spec'ed like that, filling it in would make me an ideal airman.

True story: I was 6'1" and 135 lbs when I went into basic training. skinny to say the least. They handed me uniforms that were obviously too large for me. The supply guy told me not to worry as I'll gain weight in basic. He was right. I gained 15 lbs in 6 weeks. I guess eating 3 square meals (instead of junk food and beer) plus getting lots of exercise and sleep was healthy.

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

He could also go the tailored uniform route. Or do what I did: I gained weight until the shirt fit snugly. I figured if the shirt was mil-spec'ed like that, filling it in would make me an ideal airman.

True story: I was 6'1" and 135 lbs when I went into basic training. skinny to say the least. They handed me uniforms that were obviously too large for me. The supply guy told me not to worry as I'll gain weight in basic. He was right. I gained 15 lbs in 6 weeks. I guess eating 3 square meals (instead of junk food and beer) plus getting lots of exercise and sleep was healthy.

I do not think we can tailor the uniforms, so I will get him to eat more I guess.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yep.  BTW, I just noticed he really needs to work on his gig line.  He knows this from Scouts and his dad.

OK the Old Guard in me started to get fired up on his gig line, foot & hand position, fit of his shirt and then the dad in me kicked in... 

Awesome, way to go! He looks great!

• Heart 2

Just now, ChrisL said:

OK the Old Guard in me started to get fired up on his gig line, foot & hand position, fit of his shirt and then the dad in me kicked in... 

Awesome, way to go! He looks great!

Hopefully the ROTC Commander uses today as a teaching moment, as this will be the first time in uniform for many of these kids.  Ryan knows better, but to be fair it was his first day and I was not there, just his mom, as I had already left for work.  

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Ryan knows better, but to be fair it was his first day and I was not there, just his mom, as I had already left for work.

Didn't his mother wear combat boots? I remember when that was a big insult. Working at a military base, I see it all the time now.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...the best medic training used to be Navy (which also trains for the Marines).  But I really don't know what the current status is for those schools. 

Are you sure? @Parr8hed is a Navy medic, no?  Look how he turned out!*

* If Ryan turned out like Parr8 it would not bother me a bit.  Glamping with his kids and doing the bicycling and the softballing and baconing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...the best medic corpsman training used to be is the Navy (which also trains for the Marines).  But I really don't know what the current status is for those schools. 

@Parr8hed should come out to the left coast and slap you.  Figuratively of course.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...the best medic training used to be Navy (which also trains for the Marines).  But I really don't know what the current status is for those schools. 

From what I hear the combat medic courses are pretty tough and the Army & Air Force medics are all top notch.  

My daughters good college friend married a Squid who was at the time a Navy Corpsman.  Dude deployed 4 times and was only 23... They came over to the house shortly after a deployment a few years back.  I felt for the guy, he still had the 1000 yard stare.  I hate to think the things he saw...

Anyway he’s out now and both are happy in CO.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Are you sure? @Parr8hed is a Navy medic, no?  Look how he turned out!*

* If Ryan turned out like Parr8 it would not bother me a bit.  Glamping with his kids and doing the bicycling and the softballing and baconing.

Yes, I was a 8404, Field Medical Corpsman.  Pretty hard as far as military schools.  I am not sure how it is these days.  I hear it is better than it was?  

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

@Parr8hed should come out to the left coast and slap you.  Figuratively of course.

I really don't want to go out to the left coast.  Could he come here for his figurative slapping?

• Heart 1

...I went through the school at Great Lakes, a long time ago.  I escaped FMF training through a combination of good luck and clever subterfuge.  

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I hear it is better than it was?  

...nothing is ever better than it was. :( Except maybe pot. That stuff has been bred into another dimension.

• Heart 1

Just now, jsharr said:

You Scots have a fascination with Texas almost as bad as the English I reckon.  Nothing wrong with this.  

I'm told that we have many things in common and that a friendly and welcoming way with strangers is among them.

Army story.  My brother was a paramedic on a local force before he enlisted.  After being in the Army for a few years and serving as an air assault engineer he talked his CO into allowing him to apply for what I can only describe as MASH training.  He applied and somehow he was accepted.  He spent the next several months in class with real doctors - all officers of course - learning to be a field surgeon.  He was in way over his head.  He had no previous medical training aside from the paramedics training he had a few years earlier.  When he finished he was certified to perform surgery in a field hospital but only in a war zone.  He never used the training had the certification and has the paperwork.  He went from there into artillery. 

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Army story.  My brother was a paramedic on a local force before he enlisted.  After being in the Army for a few years and serving as an air assault engineer he talked his CO into allowing him to apply for what I can only describe as MASH training.  He applied and somehow he was accepted.  He spent the next several months in class with real doctors - all officers of course - learning to be a field surgeon.  He was in way over his head.  He had no previous medical training aside from the paramedics training he had a few years earlier.  When he finished he was certified to perform surgery in a field hospital but only in a war zone.  He never used the training had the certification and has the paperwork.  He went from there into artillery. 

Note to self, never enter into a thumb war if @Kzoo's brother is around.

Just now, Kzoo said:

Only if you Scotts use S&W revolvers or Winchester 30-30s as part of your welcoming plans.

Colt revolvers sir.  

Reminds me of the joke about the guy from the big city who bought a ranch in West Texas.  He had been there for a few weeks and had not seen a soul.  then one day he sees a cloud of dust on the horizon.  Eventually, a guy in a pick up pulls up and introduces himself.  Says he is the next door neighbor and just wanted to stop by and say hello and invite the new guy to a welcome party that weekend.  Intirugued the new guy asks what the paryt would be like.  The Texan told him there would be eatin and drinkin and dancing and some card playin and if the evening went well, maybe a little love making.

The new guy said that sounded great, that he would be there and asked how he should dress for a party in West Texas.  

It don't really matter said the Texan, it is just gonna be you and me there.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Colt revolvers sir.  

Reminds me of the joke about the guy from the big city who bought a ranch in West Texas.  He had been there for a few weeks and had not seen a soul.  then one day he sees a cloud of dust on the horizon.  Eventually, a guy in a pick up pulls up and introduces himself.  Says he is the next door neighbor and just wanted to stop by and say hello and invite the new guy to a welcome party that weekend.  Intirugued the new guy asks what the paryt would be like.  The Texan told him there would be eatin and drinkin and dancing and some card playin and if the evening went well, maybe a little love making.

The new guy said that sounded great, that he would be there and asked how he should dress for a party in West Texas.  

It don't really matter said the Texan, it is just gonna be you and me there.

My bad and good joke.  Not POTD good but good.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

How often do you lot sleep with your boots on?

Haven’t done it in ages but back in the day often.  Sometimes we worked 16-18 hour shifts and would schedule nap breaks but you gotta be ready to go at a moments notice if something happened.   If nothing else loosen the laces as your feet go to sleep when laced tight and lying down (at least mine did). Getting up & trying to walk with numb feet suxs.

5 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Yes, I was a 8404, Field Medical Corpsman.  Pretty hard as far as military schools.  I am not sure how it is these days.  I hear it is better than it was?  

I really don't want to go out to the left coast.  Could he come here for his figurative slapping?

Wait a few months and it might be more appealing to go to warmer slapping territory.