I like Hershey's

Parr8hed

We get the good Dutch chocolate when family comes to visit and it’s wonderful. But as others have said, it’s chocolate, how bad can it be?

When I get a hankering I’m down for a Hershey’s with almonds.  Although not great for diabetics the small bars are less damaging so I get one of those.

• Heart 3

Just now, 12string said:

Aldi.  German Chocolate.  Cheap.  Go there and buy some.

I have never tried there’s but I have found the imported Dutch Chocolate at the import stores isn’t nearly as good as the stuff my family brings even though it’s iften the same brands.    I’m not sure if it’s just old or the import stuff is lesser quality.  

About 2X a year I get a hankering for Dutch Licorice (it’s salty) so go to the Dutch import store but I skip the chocolate.  It’s just not worth it.

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have never tried there’s but I have found the imported Dutch Chocolate at the import stores isn’t nearly as good as the stuff my family brings even though it’s iften the same brands.    I’m not sure if it’s just old or the import stuff is lesser quality.  

About 2X a year I get a hankering for Dutch Licorice (it’s salty) so go to the Dutch import store but I skip the chocolate.  It’s just not worth it.

Huh. My son-in-law works for one of those Dutch distributors. I think that chocolate is pretty good. I can't imagine how yummy the real stuff is!!

I often put out various chocolates at work.  One tin has mainly Hershey's kisses and comparable chocolate.  The other typically has better quality chocolates including Bakers  Caramels and Bedres Dark Chocolate and Orange candies.  The kisses almost always go first.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I often put out various chocolates at work.  One tin has mainly Hershey's kisses and comparable chocolate.  The other typically has better quality chocolates including Bakers  Caramels and Bedres Dark Chocolate and Orange candies.  The kisses almost always go first.

This is known at the McDonalds Paradigm.  We want what is familiar to us.  No surprises.  So instead of taking a risk that something might be great, we settle for meritocracy.  The Hershey Kiss = The McDonalds Big Mac.

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This is known at the McDonalds Paradigm.  We want what is familiar to us.  No surprises.  So instead of taking a risk that something might be great, we settle for meritocracy.  The Hershey Kiss = The McDonalds Big Mac.

Don't include me is your nuttiness, Bub!

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I like Hershey's

I think it is good chocolate.   

Jeebus, you simply state a very modest belief that Hershey's chocolate is not awful, and this place explodes!  Thank god you didn't say you love it! Or that it is great chocolate.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Hershey chocolate lists sugar as its first ingredient. British Cadbury Dairy Milk bar contains milk, sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter.

"The Hershey Company owns the rights to manufacture Cadbury chocolate in the US.

It banned imports of British-made Cadbury chocolate in 2015.

British expats claim that Cadbury's chocolate in the US tastes nothing like its UK counterpart, but according toHershey, there's barely any difference in the ingredients."

The ingredient list order is different based on country.  That could be for a couple of different reasons.

While I like pure dark chocolate 70 and above, milk chocolate is just kind of meh. That includes Hersheys. Hersheys is in the chocolate world like Budweiser and Coors are to good European beer or specialty craft brews. What I traditionally bring home in the crushed coffee bean infused chocolate. Villars is the only one of the top three Chocolatiers that does that. This year when shopping, discovered and Absinthe variety and became my second stash to bring home.  The #1 chocolatier is Cailler and Villars in the top 5. Neither import to the States. Another is the well known Lindt, however it taste richer that the version produced in the States under license. 

Villars Caffee.png

Villars Absinthe.jpg

The least expensive milk chocolate we bought in Switzerland was far and away better than Hershey's milk chocolate. But, I still like a Hershey's almond nugget or a piece of Hershey's on a s'more. I also like the Miniatures, especially Mr. Goodbar with peanuts.

For straight up milk chocolate, I choose Dove.

If I'm buying chocolate to impress, I get ChocoLove bars. They print poetry on the inner labels.

I've fallen out of fascination with dark chocolate. The snappy texture and bitterness is like eating death. I picture frowning old women when I eat chocolate over 70% cacao, even with a glass of port.