What would you want to do if you came out to NYC?

Randomguy

I like to wander the streets on Manhattan pondering the imponderables...like why is Madison Square Garden round? Why is Columbus Circle a triangle? Why do the subway trains in Brooklyn run above ground?

• Heart 1

I would like to go to Times Square to look at the selection of STD's and then maybe get mugged.

you're a decade late. They cleaned up Time Square when Giuliani was mayor and Disney bought up a lot of that area

you'll need to take a walk over to 9th Ave for that now

Soup Nazi lunch, Grimaldis for dinner, central park stroll, and a west village jaunt.

I used to live by the original soup nazi place, much smaller than on Seinfeld and you can't go inside (just a counter).  The soup is good.

Juliana's pizza is better (slightly) than Grimaldi's, and was opened right next door by the original owner of Grimaldi's.  We should go to both and compare apples to apples (we really won't get apples, though, we will get pizza).  Btw, I got banged pretty good after just arriving in NYC and going to Grimaldi's.  We first walked over the Brooklyn Bridge, then pizza, then bar crawl to her place, then a bottle of Jamison's (it is what she had), then massively wild and acrobatic poundage.  That is my Grimaldi's story, it could happen to you if you bring K.

The other stuff is a must-do, too.

I used to have a buddy that lived there when he was still on Capital Records

That was pretty cool, really. I remember we went to CBGBs and didn't stand in line, all the doormen in the Village seemed to know my buddy and we never waited in line anywhere. Wherever we went, people were coming up to my friend all night. It was nice to see him make it in NYC

you're a decade late. They cleaned up Time Square when Giuliani was mayor and Disney bought up a lot of that area

you'll need to take a walk over to 9th Ave for that now

Two decades late, actually, and 9th Avenue is pretty nice now, what with the gays taking over and opening restaurants up and down.  Stuff happens fast here.

Two decades late, actually, and 9th Avenue is pretty nice now, what with the gays taking over and opening restaurants up and down.  Stuff happens fast here.

thanks for the heads up. Its been a decade since I was last in the City

I do remember the first time I saw NYC. It was from the front steps of Grand Central Station. I walked out and the first thing I remember was the "Welcome to New York Peep Show" sign right across the street

that was back in the days of Times Square hookers, though

I'd want to bring dirt to the kids that lived there.

At our wedding (in our backyard) we planted a tree.  Some friends from NYC came.  Their kids were around 6ish at the time.  The look of awe on their faces when they got to put a shovelful of dirt on the tree was sad.  Kids need to play in the dirt and mud and have fun.

• Heart 1

I'd want to bring dirt to the kids that lived there.

At our wedding (in our backyard) we planted a tree.  Some friends from NYC came.  Their kids were around 6ish at the time.  The look of awe on their faces when they got to put a shovelful of dirt on the tree was sad.  Kids need to play in the dirt and mud and have fun.

I did not know you were a dirty stinking hippie.

It's covered in scaffolding and surrounded by tourists

scaffolding? are they cleaning it or something?

Its in Central Park over by the Art Museum

Pink granite with hieroglyphs carved half an inch deep into it

pretty cool, really

I'd want to bring weapons so I wouldn't get mugged.

You know, something like an Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

No need. There's undercover cops everywhere. After my all-day visit to the MET two weeks ago, I'm walking my shitty rented bike out of Central Park, and I am aghast to see a guy running, followed by another guy, who then proceeds to wail on him like crazy, punching him in the face as he holds him down. I then see another dude join in the fun, and pin him down even more than he was pinned down before. Turns out, they are both cops engaged in their normal brutality towards the oppressed populace. Nobody did much of anything because all three of these dudes were quite large people, and I was certain that the 2nd dude had a knife or gun, which I was trying to figure out, so I wasn't getting involved in that until I knew which way to run.

scaffolding? are they cleaning it or something?

Its in Central Park over by the Art Museum

Pink granite with hieroglyphs carved half an inch deep into it

pretty cool, really

I think they are coating it with something to protect it, but the whole area was blocked off..you could only kinda see it, so I didn't try to get any closer. No worry though, the MET had a crapton of mummies, obelisks, sarcophagai, etc, including the Dendur Temple inside.... The MET was awesome. I barely saw a third of it. Spent all day there and I was kinda exhausted from just reading all the stuff about each item.

I saw the Van Gogh exhibit there years ago.

I remember seeing "Starry Night"

I had a roommate that had that on a poster, so I used to see it all the time, but when you see it in person, its mind blowing

he used so much paint that his paintings are almost in 3D

I saw the Van Gogh exhibit there years ago.

I remember seeing "Starry Night"

I had a roommate that had that on a poster, so I used to see it all the time, but when you see it in person, its mind blowing

he used so much paint that his paintings are almost in 3D

I did not see that painting with the Van Gogh stuff. Pierce Brosnan must've stolen it. I liked his stuff...but Monet sucks balls. I wouldn't call what he did 'art'. Just wasn't impressed by it. Looked pretty amateurish for art anyways.

I'll post it later, but there was a few paintings, I was convinced there was a person 'in' the painting. Lifelike, crazy lifelike. Really hard to take the impressionists so seriously when there's a dude who can paint that close to real life.

My most favorite Napoleonic painting was there...

Friedland,_1807_(1875)_Ernest_Meissonier

I was there once, but for a VERY SHORT time to visit (morning until noonish). So in that short time I basically had time to pick one thing and do it! I went to visit the Statue Of Liberty. I did have a little time afterward to just walk around Manhattan for a bit (at least the area down near Battery Park). I saw the Twin Towers hole and where they were starting to build a new one. There was not enough of new one built yet or memorial to really see much at the time (this was probably a few years after 9/11/2001).

If I went back there now, with a little more time. I'd definitely like to explore Central Park a bit, maybe some nice museums.

Overall the place is honestly not high on my list of places I want to visit.

I was there once, but for a VERY SHORT time to visit (morning until noonish). So in that short time I basically had time to pick one thing and do it! I went to visit the Statue Of Liberty. I did have a little time afterward to just walk around Manhattan for a bit (at least the area down near Battery Park). I saw the Twin Towers hole and where they were starting to build a new one. There was not enough of new one built yet or memorial to really see much at the time (this was probably a few years after 9/11/2001).

If I went back there now, with a little more time. I'd definitely like to explore Central Park a bit, maybe some nice museums.

NYC is one of those places where there are great things to do, but the CITY gets in the way of most of that. I think my chief complaint was the godawful smell of the falafel stands everywhere. After a few days, it was damned oppressive.

"Whatever it is, you should clean up this city here, because this city here is like an open sewer you know. It's full of filth and scum. And sometimes I can hardly take it. Whatever-whoever becomes the President should just really clean it up. You know what I mean? Sometimes I go out and I smell it, I get headaches it's so bad, you know...They just never go away you know...It's like...I think that the President should just clean up this whole mess here. You should just flush it right down the fuckin' toilet."

I did not see that painting with the Van Gogh stuff.

that was a special exhibit probably 15 years ago. It wouldn't be there any more. they have some Van Gogh in their permanent collection, but this was one of those special exhibits where a collection tours museums spending only a few weeks or so in each city

"Whatever it is, you should clean up this city here, because this city here is like an open sewer you know. It's full of filth and scum. And sometimes I can hardly take it. Whatever-whoever becomes the President should just really clean it up. You know what I mean? Sometimes I go out and I smell it, I get headaches it's so bad, you know...They just never go away you know...It's like...I think that the President should just clean up this whole mess here. You should just flush it right down the fuckin' toilet."

that what your cab driver told ya? :D

• Heart 1

I can't believe that messed up statement came out of your word-hole!   

I would like to spend real time at the Met..when I was there in 1978 we had only 3 hours scheduled and left at the end of our 1 to 1.5 hour tour in the back room of the fashions they have...We left to go shopping...at a giant Hallmark Store...CRAZY!!!  I would also like to get a pic (this time from the correct direction) of the building that is shaped like a triangle (I can't remember the name and am too lazy to look it up..you east coast peeps give me the answer.)  Broadway...a show if I can afford it...getting those walk up tickets..Just seeing the city...Central Park..Food...

When I was there it was to see things in the fashion industry..and our 5 or 6 day trip was planned with a group of former NYC teachers I think called "The New York Classroom"...We saw the Statue of Liberty...(Ellis Island was not open to people in those days)..we traveled on foot,by taxi, bus and subway ..saw 3 Broadway shows (I went to Hello Dolly on my own our last night there)...We did some of the popular sites and several fashion type things...different stores toured us, we met with a lesser know designer, a modeling agency.  Oh and food....It was that trip between the people who wanted to eat at McDonalds and the giant Hallmark Store that made me promise to eat more local stuff...Heck it is even why I went to a play by my self  at barely 20 years old and from a small town our last night in the city....See what I can and enjoy the culture.

I would like to spend real time at the Met..when I was there in 1978 we had only 3 hours scheduled and left at the end of our 1 to 1.5 hour tour in the back room of the fashions they have...We left to go shopping...at a giant Hallmark Store...CRAZY!!!  I would also like to get a pic (this time from the correct direction) of the building that is shaped like a triangle (I can't remember the name and am too lazy to look it up..you east coast peeps give me the answer.)  Broadway...a show if I can afford it...getting those walk up tickets..Just seeing the city...Central Park..Food...

When I was there it was to see things in the fashion industry..and our 5 or 6 day trip was planned with a group of former NYC teachers I think called "The New York Classroom"...We saw the Statue of Liberty...(Ellis Island was not open to people in those days)..we traveled on foot,by taxi, bus and subway ..saw 3 Broadway shows (I went to Hello Dolly on my own our last night there)...We did some of the popular sites and several fashion type things...different stores toured us, we met with a lesser know designer, a modeling agency.  Oh and food....It was that trip between the people who wanted to eat at McDonalds and the giant Hallmark Store that made me promise to eat more local stuff...Heck it is even why I went to a play by my self  at barely 20 years old and from a small town our last night in the city....See what I can and enjoy the culture.

Flatiron building.  My favourite is the Chrysler Building. :)

They've done a very nice job with Ellis Island.  Had to wait forever for the Statue of Liberty though because of the over the top security.  I enjoyed a Broadway show - Michael McKean in Superior Donuts - very good!

I remember Stein had a place on 43rd st in Hells Kitchen and when you laid down on the spare futon to crash, you'd be looking out the widow right up at the Empire State Building

I always that that was a quintessential New York experience

...that and slipping in a puddle of piss on the subway train

I went up in the Empire State Building because I needed to have done it once.  Hint to other tourists:  Go to the lower observation deck, don't pay extra for the upper (in the spire).  The upper deck isn't open (for good safety reasons) and you don't get a better view.

My client this December was in a floor of a building several blocks away.  Took me to a great steak place.  Most of the rest of my tourism was just walking around, so I could say I'd actually been in Times Square, as I was only there three days, two nights.  I did get to go through Penn Station, as my plane was diverted from LaGuardia to Albany due to weather, and I had to take the train in.

EDIT:  Here's the place.  Very enjoyable.

http://statlergrill.com/