City's better than NYC

Square Wheels

A city that actually surprised me for the night life was Pheonix

First time I ever was in that town, I was driving in around midnight on a Tuesday and there was traffic on the freeways. That's always a good sign, people out an d about after midnight on a weekday

you can go out any night of the week and find a lot of people out

at least back in the 90s

I'd put several factors ahead of restaurants.....but that's just me.

I'm not saying those are  the best places to visit...just the best restaurants

I travelled a lot when I was young and a musician. The only major cities in North America that I haven't partied down in are Boston, Toronto and Mexico City

A city that actually surprised me for the night life was Pheonix

First time I ever was in that town, I was driving in around midnight on a Tuesday and there was traffic on the freeways. That's always a good sign, people out an d about after midnight on a weekday

you can go out any night of the week and find a lot of people out

at least back in the 90s

I'm not a fan of Phoenix. The area is huge, and just keeps growing without any real "downtown" areas..

a long time ago Minneapolis was surprisingly fun. This was back when Prince and the Time were out of there. I had some friends move up there and we visited and got to go local. I was surprised. I expected a cow town, but it was pretty hip.

I'm not a fan of Phoenix. The area is huge, and just keeps growing without any real "downtown" areas..

it was probably 96 or 97 last time I was there. My sister lived there for a couple years.

like I said, I was impressed with how many people would be out at the bars on a weeknight, so it was a fun town when I was still partying

I never went out and "saw the sights" or anything like that

maybe the reason people were out was that I was there in the summer and folks just wait and go out later?

You're supposed to contribute.  I thought it was self-explanatory.  Maybe people from Michigan need more hand-holding?

Your rules are very hard to understand.  I did my best especially since there was nothing in your OP that was in the form of a question.  Now who need hand-holding?

Stowe VT, Asheville NC, Prescott AZ, Leadville CO

You are out of your damn mind, Leadville and Prescott blow.  I haven't been to the other two. Well, I cruised through Asheville, but it was snowy and kind of miserable out, so I couldn't tell what was what.  But yeah, Leadville and Prescott both blow and suck.

Paducah, KY

Allentown, PA

Toledo, OH

Bowling Green, KY

Clinton, IA

Omaha, NE

Rochester, MN

Buffalo, NY...................................

I went to kindergarten and first grade in Clinton Iowa! :D

yea, Austin is way more fun than NYC

I like Ft Worth too

You clearly have never been to NYC.   :P  

I would say that NYC is consistently more fun than Austin, based on my limited experience in Austin.  It was fun, though, I will give you that.  If you behave like a tourist, all cities are more or less similar.  If you behave like a local and want to really get at things, you won't beat NYC in this country.

You're supposed to contribute.  I thought it was self-explanatory.  Maybe people from Michigan need more hand-holding?

This Michigander went to Manhattan last December (first time in NYC) for his last job.

While it was very interesting, and I had a good time in the several days I was there (and the client was great), I can't imagine living there either.

Then again, my tastes have changed over the years.  I could have lived in Chicago at one point.  Now, I'm in the biggest city I ever want to live in --I could retire to a place just big enough to have broadband internet, two-day shipping, and a couple of reasonable (e.g., non-chain, good food in the $$ range) restaurants and be happy.  Preferably with outlying flat, paved farm roads for good cycling and friendly people.

P.S.  Rode through Clinton, IA on RAGBRAI.  As I recall, wasn't a half-bad place.

This Michigander went to Manhattan last December (first time in NYC) for his last job.

While it was very interesting, and I had a good time in the several days I was there (and the client was great), I can't imagine living there either.

Then again, my tastes have changed over the years.  I could have lived in Chicago at one point.  Now, I'm in the biggest city I ever want to live in --I could retire to a place just big enough to have broadband internet, two-day shipping, and a couple of reasonable (e.g., non-chain, good food in the $$ range) restaurants and be happy.  Preferably with outlying flat, paved farm roads for good cycling and friendly people.

Sounds good to me.

you guys that don't like Texas, I can understand. I was a wild eyed Son of Texas, so I knew where to go

like Houston sucks. I mean it REALLY sucks, but I've had some of the best times, best food, best music, best crazy action happenin in Houston than any place else

Its probably the same for you Boston guys and your town

Boston, Philly, Houston, and I think LA are "Locals Only" joints

you guys that don't like Texas, I can understand. I was a wild eyed Son of Texas, so I knew where to go

like Houston sucks. I mean it REALLY sucks, but I've had some of the best times, best food, best music, best crazy action happenin in Houston than any place else

Its probably the same for you Boston guys and your town

Boston, Philly, Houston, and I think LA are "Locals Only" joints

Last year, I went to Texas for the first time too.  San Antonio.  My previous job had some travel that was interesting.

I thought it was a neat place --but it would have been cooler (no pun intended) if it wasn't 100-105F every day of the 4-5 days I was there.

"It's a dry heat" stops mattering once you hit 100.  Trust me.