Fightin' Words!

Razors Edge

11 minutes ago, dennis said:

Fancy bikes are nice, but at the end of the day, it's the engine. During my last race, I took a 10 mile pull on my Fargo with a 2.4 Ardent up front. Dragging carbon and ti fancy bikes until they couldn't hold my wheel.  

Top step of the podium is NICE! Congrats!

Gravel bikes are evolving  into two groups with bikes aimed more for hauling stuff and others designed for hauling ass.  It really depends on where & how you intend to ride.

Many who “compete” in gravel races ride cross bikes and sacrifice comfort for performance so I can see the push for this type of bike.

1 hour ago, dennis said:

Fancy bikes are nice, but at the end of the day, it's the engine. During my last race, I took a 10 mile pull on my Fargo with a 2.4 Ardent up front. Dragging carbon and ti fancy bikes until they couldn't hold my wheel. 

Your Fargo has wider tires than my Anthem!  I’m actually going to put an Ardent up front with a Ikon rear. 

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Gravel bikes are evolving  into two groups with bikes aimed more for hauling stuff and others designed for hauling ass.  It really depends on where & how you intend to ride.

Many who “compete” in gravel races ride cross bikes and sacrifice comfort for performance so I can see the push for this type of bike.

I've used road bike, cx, rando, and bikepacking rig for gravel. They all work, but the Fargo makes me the happiest. This is my new addition, a Tenkara rod.

• Heart 1

As someone who occasionally rides my mountain bike for exercise and where I had to get a soft, spring-supported saddle so my butt doesn't feel like it's getting a spanking when I drop down from a curb, carrying my weight IS carrying cargo.  When I average better than 11 mph for the 10.6 mile, hilly, BWI Airport Trail I'm very happy!

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Maxxis tires are so good. I've been running the Minion DHF/DHR combo on my Rocky Mountain. They hook up so well. 

My HT came with Racing Ralph’s and they were horrible on our loose over hard pack.  I swapped them out with Ardent’s and it made a world of difference.  My Anthem came stock with Ikons and I figured I’d need to swap them out but they hook up better than the Racing Ralph’s.  Still would like to get an Ardent up front though for better traction.