Chicken feet!

late

I want to increase my intake of collagen.

Actually, bone broth is a bit of a misnomer. Bones are good, but the star of the show in bone broth is collagen, and that mostly comes from other sources. Like chicken feet.

Went to a farmer market and talked to a gal about getting feet and necks. Prob gonna go to the big Portland farmers market this weekend, see if I can find organic feet (yes, that makes me smile, as well).

My Trader Joes ran out of chicken bone broth, a small package at Whole Foods is 7 bucks, about twice the TJ price (although the quality is better). So while it feels a bit weird to walk up to people and ask them for chicken feet, it's what I am doing.

In Vienna, if you order Goulash, you usually get a rich beef stew. I loved it. When I was in Hungary, and ordered Hungarian Goulash, what came was chicken broth, with a cloud of hot paprika swirling around the bottom with 3 chickens feet. I was 20, and didn't eat it. Funny how things change.

FYI, they will go into a pressure cooker with some vinegar, to leach out as much protein as I can.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Doesn’t jello have callogen?  I’d rather eat jello than chicken feet broth

Sugar will get your metabolism going, and turn the protein into sugars which will be stored as fat.

Btw, bone broth is just a trendy name for stock. Stock can be delish, and collagen is one of the secret weapons of gourmet cooking.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

Any bones will release their marrow into the stock and give you that collagen. If not the chicken feet, then get those big ol' beef marrow bones. Lots of online, grass fed, beef marrow bone vendors.

Yeah, but organic marrow bones are expensive. I bought some today at Whole Foods.

Wait, did you say online?

2 hours ago, 12string said:

you are aware that chicken feet spend the majority of their lives ankle deep in chicken poop, aren't you?

Farmers or processors have to strip off the outer layer before they can sell them.

1 hour ago, late said:

Yeah, but organic marrow bones are expensive. I bought some today at Whole Foods.

I surfed and found two sites selling grass fed beef bones. They cost about the same as the meat, it seems. 

A friend of mine grew up on a poultry farm. Her parents still have it and she works there during the busy seasons, Thanksgiving and Christmas. They process a lot of poultry. I’ll have to ask her what they do with the feet. I’m guessing they throw them away.

My wife buys a powdered collagen supplement from Dr. Axe online. I mix a heaping spoonful in her coffee every morning.

36 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

A friend of mine grew up on a poultry farm. Her parents still have it and she works there during the busy seasons, Thanksgiving and Christmas. They process a lot of poultry. I’ll have to ask her what they do with the feet. I’m guessing they throw them away.

My wife buys a powdered collagen supplement from Dr. Axe online. I mix a heaping spoonful in her coffee every morning.

I use both gelatin, and collagen peptides.

Collagen comes from gelatin, which you can get here for close to 1/4 the price. It's what I use the most of.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGR302/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also add this to a lot of dishes, usually you won't notice it's there. For breakfast, I stir a teaspoon into my eggs before I cook them.

A teaspoon of collagen seems like a lot. But maybe first thing in the morning her body won't turn it into sugar.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, late said:

I was thinking about the availability of marrow bones. Oxtail bones for making stew are common enough?

3 hours ago, roadsue said:

I was thinking about the availability of marrow bones. Oxtail bones for making stew are common enough?

You don't see oxtail around much, and the one place that I know has them, wants top dollar.

But shin bones aren't expensive, I am making a stew them tonite.