Fridge died

Gump

Shopping is fun. And there are so many cool features on newer refrigerators.  

We looked at a few with a freezer drawer on the bottom and side-by-side doors on the top, but decided to go straight side-by-side when we realized the grandchildren could crawl into the freezer compartment.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, roadsue said:

We looked at a few with a freezer drawer on the bottom and side-by-side doors on the top, but decided to go straight side-by-side when we realized the grandchildren could crawl into the freezer compartment.

Hate our side-by-side. The divider between the freezer and fridge takes up a lot of space. Can't put a pizza box in either side for example. Next time we will get a traditional fridge or 3-door model.

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

I hate all the crap they put on appliances these days. All I want is a box to keep some things cool and others frozen. 

A friend has a 35+ year old fridge in his garage that works just fine. Why can’t they make stuff like that anymore?

• Heart 3

$865 for a compressor?  Sound's like a compressor for a walk-in cold box!  How big is your refrigerator?

I've been considering a new refrigerator for a while due to all the new options.  Mine is over 20 years old and has a relatively small freezer and sometimes I have to put a small amount of food in the refrigerator for a day or two due to lack of freezer room.

My refrigerator fits in a spot where a nice, new taller one will fit but I'll have to take out the two very small cabinets above the current fridge - which I don't use for much anyway because they're so inconvenient to reach.

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

$865 for a compressor?  Sound's like a compressor for a walk-in cold box!  How big is your refrigerator? 

I've been considering a new refrigerator for a while due to all the new options.  Mine is over 20 years old and has a relatively small freezer and sometimes I have to put a small amount of food in the refrigerator for a day or two due to lack of freezer room. 

My refrigerator fits in a spot where a nice, new taller one will fit but I'll have to take out the two very small cabinets above the current fridge - which I don't use for much anyway because they're so inconvenient to reach. 

I'm in the same situation. A 20 yr old fridge in the lower mid-level range that new homes without an upgrade came with.  We looked at new fridges a few years back, and all the "fancy" ones would require screwing with the surrounding cabinetry.  I just vacuumed the heck out of it to get it cooling to its best ability, and it is still cruising along.

They have the same one on sale for $1200. I’d just call and have them deliver that one but someone wants to go look at what else they have.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You just gotta get internet on the door so you can keep a list of what's not in the fridge.

That’s what the little whiteboard is for?

4 hours ago, Zackny said:

I hate all the crap they put on appliances these days. All I want is a box to keep some things cool and others frozen. 

A friend has a 35+ year old fridge in his garage that works just fine. Why can’t they make stuff like that anymore?

How about a water and ice dispenser? 

Or, a door box so you can get high frequency items without opening the big door and letting in the room heat? 

8 hours ago, Zackny said:

Compressor is shot. $865 to replace. We’ll do a new fridge this one is 7-8 years old.

I have a childhood friend who is an appliance repair guy and he recommended I skip the repair and just buy a new fridge when the compressor went out.  

OK cool, what do I owe you for the visit?  He pulls a couple of warm beers from the fridge and says we’re good!

7 hours ago, Zackny said:

He probably keeps his beer in that fridge. Keeping beer in the fridge keeps them happy and a happy fridge lasts a long time.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Ours is about 12 years old.  So far had one minor $200 repair.  He said it probably didn't need the part he was putting in, but he was here, there was already a service call fee, so I had it put in.

He said we should get at least 20 years from it.

New fridges are cool.  I would not get one with a screen as that will quickly outdate.  They do make some WiFi ones with cameras inside.  That would be helpful when you were at the store wondering if you were low on tofu.

• Haha 1