Bees

maddmaxx

Dying that way would not be peaceful.

We had one once and it was 20 or 30 feet from the house, so I decided I was going to leave it until we got some cold weather and spray the bejeebers out of it.

Then our houseguest came to visit and decided to throw a football at it. Apparently hornets do not enjoy having their nest bombarded with footballs.

They swarmed our fenced in area, but nobody got stung. That was our 'friends' last visit.  Also on the visit, their son was seen licking the salt shaker. Ewwww.

30 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Dying that way would not be peaceful.

We had one once and it was 20 or 30 feet from the house, so I decided I was going to leave it until we got some cold weather and spray the bejeebers out of it.

Then our houseguest came to visit and decided to throw a football at it. Apparently hornets do not enjoy having their nest bombarded with footballs.

They swarmed our fenced in area, but nobody got stung. That was our 'friends' last visit.  Also on the visit, their son was seen licking the salt shaker. Ewwww.

I do not remember visiting you, but this sounds like stuff my spawn would do, or has done and will do again.

• Heart 1

If you're very allergic it's extremely sensible to get someone else to do it.  I'm not allergic and I've gotten rid of wasps nests, carpenter bees, etc. by doing water from a hose at long range and an insecticide shot from up to 10 feet away with a sprayer.  I never came close to a sting while doing it but I still wouldn't do it again if I had somehow become allergic to it.

The last time I ran into these guys they were in a hole in the ground.  I rode over the top of them on my tractor and then wondered who was hitting me with a hammer.  I had 5 separate stings and decided to take a cold shower as they were too far apart to ice.  I remember adjusting the water temp while standing in the shower.  I woke up in the ambulance saying "ouch".  The tech said "that's good, you didn't feel the first batch so we called in and got permission for another".  A few hours in the ER sleeping and they sent me home and told me to take a couple of days off.  My nervous system didn't work well for a couple of days.  Their advice......don't do that again as it probably gets worse each time.

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

6 bucks for a spray can.  Do it at night.  They have spray that is expanding foam.  Hit it good and your problem is solved.  

If if you want me to I can stop by after getting Zacks lawn done.

That expanding foam is good stuff. I usually just use wasp and hornet spray, spray it in the hole in the bottom of the nest and they are done. The sollege students I used to hire for summer help liked to light the nest after we sprayed it if the nest was in aa hardwood tree. Regular wasp and hornet spray makes them burn really well.

The other day on my bike ride I stopped to text my wife to make sure she was ok. I found a bench along the trail. I sat down and before I even got my phone out of my pocket I got stung on the back of my hand and it felt like a burn. I didn’t see who did it so I though they must be inside my glove. While trying to get my glove off I got stung two more times on my neck and chest. A stinking hornet’s nest on the bottom of that bench. Those suckers like to hit and run. I wonder what would happen if I sprayed that nest with HALT?

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

That expanding foam is good stuff. I usually just use wasp and hornet spray, spray it in the hole in the bottom of the nest and they are done. The sollege students I used to hire for summer help liked to light the nest after we sprayed it if the nest was in aa hardwood tree. Regular wasp and hornet spray makes them burn really well.

The other day on my bike ride I stopped to text my wife to make sure she was ok. I found a bench along the trail. I sat down and before I even got my phone out of my pocket I got stung on the back of my hand and it felt like a burn. I didn’t see who did it so I though they must be inside my glove. While trying to get my glove off I got stung two more times on my neck and chest. A stinking hornet’s nest on the bottom of that bench. Those suckers like to hit and run. I wonder what would happen if I sprayed that nest with HALT?

I'd be using the phone for 911 at that point and hoping that they arrived in time.  I checked today and my epipen is out of date so that has to be replaced as well.

The tech will be here early saturday morning to stick a wand into the nest and poison it.  The poison will kill any remaining bees that return over the next couple of days and the nest will either come down by itself or be pulled down after that.  I am relieved not to have to deal with them myself.

• Awesome 1

40 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The tech will be here early saturday morning to stick a wand into the nest and poison it.  The poison will kill any remaining bees that return over the next couple of days and the nest will either come down by itself or be pulled down after that.  I am relieved not to have to deal with them myself.

This is a good idea being that you react in a big way.  We prefer the breathing variety of maxx. 

• Awesome 1

Just now, wilbur said:

Again... gasoline.. match!  stand back! :) 

I have used gas mixed for the chain saw.  Burns slower and longer.

2 nights ago WoKzoo pointed out a ground hive in one of her flower beds.  I had just used the last of the spray on a small nest on the shed 10 minutes earlier.  Yesterday I got another can (foaming this time) and hit the hole with it just before dark.  I'll check it after work.

Most bees don't live in the ground.

But Mud Wasps do, and they have the most painful sting of their family. I fought a Mud Wasp colony for a few years, until they decided to go bother someone else. First time, I was using my chain saw, and started getting bit. Nasty, nasty critters.

3 minutes ago, late said:

Most bees don't live in the ground.

But Mud Wasps do, and they have the most painful sting of their family. I fought a Mud Wasp colony for a few years, until they decided to go bother someone else. First time, I was using my chain saw, and started getting bit. Nasty, nasty critters.

Down here, yellow jackets live in the ground. Dunno if they are classified as bees, wasps, hornets or other. Pack a pretty good wallop for their size.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

Down here, yellow jackets live in the ground. Dunno if they are classified as bees, wasps, hornets or other. Pack a pretty good wallop for their size.

The bunch that tried to kill me were yellow jackets in a ground hole.  Since then I've destroyed 2 other ground nests with spray cans that allow for a good stand off launch.  2 cans.  1 for SEAD to keep them in the hole and one down the throat.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The bunch that tried to kill me were yellow jackets in a ground hole.  Since then I've destroyed 2 other ground nests with spray cans that allow for a good stand off launch.  2 cans.  1 for SEAD to keep them in the hole and one down the throat. 

Nothing like cutting grass with a walk-behind mower and passing over an in-ground yellow jacket nest.  The timing is perfect for your next stride to take you into the path of the emerging yellow jackets. A yellow jacket up a pant leg is NO FUN!

:frantics:

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Nothing like cutting grass with a walk-behind mower and passing over an in-ground yellow jacket nest.  The timing is perfect for your next stride to take you into the path of the emerging yellow jackets. A yellow jacket up a pant leg is NO FUN!

:frantics:

I was up on a tractor.  They will follow you.

Just now, 12string said:

try not to kill the bees, the population is in critical decline

A friend of mine got stung last week.  Ended up in the hospital for 2 days.  They told him next time he has about 30 minutes til his heart stops.  It gets worse each time

There is a slight difference between paper wasps or yellow jackets and honey bees.  Wasps and yellow jackets at Casa Kzoo die.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:
4 minutes ago, 12string said:

A friend of mine got stung last week.  Ended up in the hospital for 2 days.  They told him next time he has about 30 minutes til his heart stops.  It gets worse each time

There is a slight difference between paper wasps or yellow jackets and honey bees.  Wasps and yellow jackets at Casa Kzoo die.

Yeah - it ain't the bees stinging most people.  I don't recall ever getting stung by a bee, but those fucking yellow jackets have gotten me dozens of times over the years and a couple wasps as well. 

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The old "double-tap" know it well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Then I assume that he and I shall consider bee mass murder rather then letting them get the first shot.

• Awesome 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

He'd have to be quick about it.  

Yeah.  You pluck each one out of the air by the wings and put them in zip lock bags.  You have to be quick and experienced to grab the little wings without knocking any pollen out of their little pollen sacks.

Good luck with that.

• Haha 1

Hmmmm.  No technician showed up for the 7:30 appointment.  The company office is closed on Saturday but I called anyway.  Someone answered and promised to get back to me.  The owner of the company called to apologize because he was unable to get the tech to answer the phone.  "Good tech, young guy, I am not pleased" type conversation from his end with a promise that someone would appear Monday guaranteed.  I guess I'm not really pissed because I was planning on being here all day today and all day monday anyway.  

Kzoo, we will have to put off the mowing till after the bees are dead dead dead.  I know this will be upsetting but you'll just have to wait.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Hmmmm.  No technician showed up for the 7:30 appointment.  The company office is closed on Saturday but I called anyway.  Someone answered and promised to get back to me.  The owner of the company called to apologize because he was unable to get the tech to answer the phone.  "Good tech, young guy, I am not pleased" type conversation from his end with a promise that someone would appear Monday guaranteed.  I guess I'm not really pissed because I was planning on being here all day today and all day monday anyway.  

Kzoo, we will have to put off the mowing till after the bees are dead dead dead.  I know this will be upsetting but you'll just have to wait.

A few bee in a hive don’t scare me.  I have my can of killer spray.

Alarma de humo.  That's what the instruction sheet says.

They arrived early and the first replacement is already installed and works with the existing two others.  Other installations will follow in a bit.  Youngest son used his internet search skills (learned as an intern working for some schmuck at a laser design company) to find these replacements that were plug compatible with the in wall wiring harness so no cutting and splicing was necessary.