Different styles of management

shootingstar

Style really doesn't matter as much as long term results. A real jackass can get short-term results; however, things can go downhill quickly when employees leave.

I've always believed that you can tell how good a boss is by what happens when they are on vacation.

1. Things still go well because the boss both trained and enabled his people.

2. Things go badly for the opposite reason as #1.

3. Things go better when the boss is away. I've worked for this type before and it can be horrible. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 hours ago, wilbur said:

What happened to the previous manager?  What was his/her management style? 

He was fine.

This new one is getting into the weeds of my boss' operations...which is ok but my boss has 10 people reporting to her. She attended one of our long staff meetings. 50% of the time was spent by my boss and a supervisor explaining certain things to her while 8 of us listened.  To me, it was abit of time waster for so many employees.

She wants results and has been moving up the chain rather quickly..because she has a reputation for being a weed-cutter and getting to the point/action.  I get that...but she has a clear career objective in mind and mowing onward. Oh yea....she's probably 20 yrs. younger or more, than my boss..so she'll be working for awhile.

I've been a manager previously for 3 different organizations.  1 of them was a national role.  My senior boss didn't intrude into the weeds of operations but simply asked me to achieve xxxx….whether or not I liked it.  She knew my staff well and they liked her also.  I was fine with that.

I've also reported to other previous managers who were highly outspoken but they did genuinely have the best interests of the organization in mind in their battles with certain parties,  They knew how to be hands off, provided high level direction, showed appreciation and defined deliverables.

Unfortunately, a staff reduction is the norm for goal-oriented micro-managers.  I understand that is getting prolific in the Calgary market these days.   My friends that own energy related companies are expecting more of the same with the current government, although, they are somewhat optimistic about Kenny.    Unfortunately, there is nothing about your new boss,  that you control.  Do your job, prove your worth.  Good luck. 

We had a night shift boss that was habitually late. The boss of the shift before him had had enough with always having to hang around and wait on him so he left. The rules are that there is supposed to always be someone in management in the plant when anyone is there working. The night shift boss never showed up. When daylight bosses arrived they asked where he was. I told them as far as I know he never showed up. They couldn’t believe how smooth things ran with nobody watching. Both bosses got chewed out for that I’m sure. 

Im sure there were probably some departments that if they knew the boss wasn’t there would have stretched their breaks. My crew was going to work, that’s what we came to do.

• Heart 1

Don’t confuse management styles (approaches if done correctly) and personality types.  Many times the manager confuses them or allows their personality to drive their style.

One is who you are and one is how you act/function in spite of who you are.