Clearly BS, But A Topic For Discussion

Razors Edge

Clearly the 82o for sleeping is BS and even the 85o while away during the day seems nuts - especially if you have pets, so what's your "3 thermostat temp AC settings"?

We generally do:

• 76o F when at home
  • 72o F when we're sleeping
  • 76o-80o F when we're away (76 if in & out regularly & 80+ if off on vacation)

With a single AC zone system and two living floors to heat/cool, we generally set the temp to be comfortable in the bedroom and the thermostat for the house is in the hall outside the bedroom.  If it was located on the first floor, our settings would be at least 2 degrees LOWER to account for heat rising.

image.thumb.png.8076f3f0367809263050181a0e0582f4.pngT

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

Pretty close for the first two. We do the opposite when sleeping. We pay market rates for electricity and it's much cheaper after midnight. Therefore we set the AC to 66°F at night and it cold soaks the house. Often the AC doesn't come on again until the afternoon. Of course we also have it set that way during the winter to save on the gas bill then.

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

so what's your "3 thermostat temp AC settings"?

I don't know... WoKzoo controls that stuff.  She could be out in the backyard working and if I look at the thermostat she knows.

69* pretty much 24x7.  She keeps it cool and then wraps up in a sweater or blanket.

#can'twin

...unlike D.C., it usually cools off significantly on summer nights here because of the onshore marine air flow.  So we mostly use a whole house fan at night and in the early morning to cool the thermal mass of the house and vent the attic. Unless the high is in the 90's outside, with the windows closed up all day we don't use the  A/C at all.  When it does get stinkin' hot, the lowest we set the thermostat is at 79*.  Otherwise you never acclimate to the heat.  But it's a dry heat. :) 

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

LIES!!!

California = smog and pollution.  Everyone knows that!

...that was the old California. Now we all drive electric cars, ride electric bike share bikes, ride on electric buses and trolleys, and export all our electricity generation pollution to Nevada and points East.  Happy to help here.  You should visit (bring money).

11 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...that was the old California. Now we all drive electric cars, ride electric bike share bikes, ride on electric buses and trolleys, and export all our electricity generation pollution to Nevada and points East.  Happy to help here.  You should visit (bring money). 

Less than two weeks from now I will be breathing that disgusting and pollution heavy CA air.  :(  No ebikes in the itinerary.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Less than two weeks from now I will be breathing that disgusting and pollution heavy CA air.  :(  No ebikes in the itinerary.

Just over one week from now, Californians who can will be going on vacation.

Just now, Parr8hed said:

82 to sleep in is just pure bullshit.

Not if you live where 60 is nearly fatal winter weather.

My thermostat is set to off all but a few days of the year.  Our furnace bit the dust last winter (or maybe the winter before!?!?) and we didn’t bother to fix it... We just slept with a couple of extra blankets & wore socks in the house. We run it maybe a few nights if the year.

AC we run a little more, it’s usually going this time of year but it’s been a really mild summer so we haven’t run it yet this year. We just turn it on, let it run for a few hours in the evening and then shut it off & open the windows for bed.

Our house is open floor plan so great circulation, all stone or wood floors, double the recommended insulation in the attic, tint on all the double pane window, and the highest SEER rating we could cram in the space they designed for our AC in the house.

This all means I have a very efficient system for our required temperatures.

During away times the house is set to 89; during occupation, set to 87, at night time we let it ride at 87 or 88. The house very rarely has an actual ambient temperature above 82 and feels substantially cooler than that. 

I can cool our house and utilize all our electic appliances in a 2700 sq ft home for about $115 a month. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1