Peas

JerrySTL

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I like peas but seldom cook them because my wife doesn’t like them.

If you keep a steamer bag of frozen peas around, you can put portion for one in a microwave save bowl with a pat of butter and cook them for about 2 minutes.  They will still be crisp at that time and it's easy for one.  Don't use any water they will cook just fine on their own moisture and a bit of ice crystal.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

If you keep a steamer bag of frozen peas around, you can put portion for one in a microwave save bowl with a pat of butter and cook them for about 2 minutes.  They will still be crisp at that time and it's easy for one.  Don't use any water they will cook just fine on their own moisture and a bit of ice crystal.

I sometimes cook a bag of frozen vegetables and eat them all myself. I can put away a lot of veggies.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

But don't eat frozen peas at maxx's house! We know where they have been.   :) 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Why in the hell are they navy blue and not pea colored?  (At least they are not pee colored!)

According to a 1975 edition of the Mariner's Mirror, the term pea coat originated from the Dutch or West Frisian word pijjekker or pijjakker, in which pij referred to the type of cloth used, a coarse kind of twilled blue cloth with a nap on one side. ''Jakker'' designates a man's short, heavy, coat.

Even though I wore one for years I had to look it up.  And now you too know.   :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

On 8/23/2019 at 6:02 AM, shootingstar said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If I see green pea soup on the menu...I will try it.  If it's well prepared....and some bright greenness, it is lovely.  I"ve had some terrific ravioli dishes with green peas as part of the sauce. To me, that's elegant.

The best pea soup I’ve ever tasted was in tiny Murren, Switzerland. The cafe owner and chef made it with mint, and it was creamy, bright, and fresh. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

The best pea soup I’ve ever tasted was in tiny Murren, Switzerland. The cafe owner and chef made it with mint, and it was creamy, bright, and fresh. 

Mint? Hmm sounds interesting.  Our families secret pea soup ingredient is nutmeg. Oh well it’s no longer a secret...

30 minutes ago, late said:

One of the secrets to mint is growing an heirloom variety. They were worlds better than the stuff you buy, and you can grow it in a bucket, it's not fussy.

We have volunteer mint all over a neglected corner at the back side of the house. I’ve never used it. Maybe it’s time to explore. 

5 minutes ago, roadsue said:

We have volunteer mint all over a neglected corner at the back side of the house. I’ve never used it. Maybe it’s time to explore. 

Maybe.

If it has the aggressive aroma and flavor of modern mint, then kill it.

It will crossbreed with whatever heirloom variety you get and ruin it. My fave is chocolate mint, followed by orange mint. I think most would prefer the orange, but the choc has a dark side I really like.

Maine salsa

Tomatoes rough chopped

Onion and lime juice

A few peppers, both hot and sweet, whatever you like.

Heirloom mint

A dash of maple syrup, a pinch of salt.

35 minutes ago, late said:

One of the secrets to mint is growing an heirloom variety. They were worlds better than the stuff you buy, and you can grow it in a bucket, it's not fussy.

My mom had mint growing like weeds on the side of her house.  I would often have to cut it back with the weed whacked and the smell was amazing.  She never did anything with it tho...