Site Open

Square Wheels

16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The site has been opened again.

P&R is hidden.  Called it censoring, I don't care.  I'm tired of the bickering.

People who post P&R, or veiled P&R posts, in the Cafe will get warning points.  Get enough, you get banned.

This was supposed to be a fun site.  For me, it's not any more.  I come, I move posts, I warn people, I put people on our Time Out policy, people stop coming because others are jerks, my costs continue to rise.  How is this fun?

Most, the vast majority, of you are good people.  There are a few trying to wreck things for others.  Why?  Take that crap elsewhere, I've done nothing to you aside provide a welcoming environment where we can exchange fun stories.

Please remain civil.

I don’t know what transpired here today, was it a continuation from yesterday?  Where people posted P&R content in the Café, and it escalated from there? Is removing the P&R section going to improve that, or worsen that?

It seemed to me the name calling stoped when the thread moved to P&R. I would recommend keeping it, and punishing for P&R content in the Cafe as you describe.

25 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The site has been opened again.

P&R is hidden.  Called it censoring, I don't care.  I'm tired of the bickering.

People who post P&R, or veiled P&R posts, in the Cafe will get warning points.  Get enough, you get banned.

This was supposed to be a fun site.  For me, it's not any more.  I come, I move posts, I warn people, I put people on our Time Out policy, people stop coming because others are jerks, my costs continue to rise.  How is this fun?

Most, the vast majority, of you are good people.  There are a few trying to wreck things for others.  Why?  Take that crap elsewhere, I've done nothing to you aside provide a welcoming environment where we can exchange fun stories.

Please remain civil.

Great changes. 

• Heart 1

For now, P&R is gone.  I guess I used it as a dumping ground for contentious posts, and people seemed to think it was a lawless area.  Posts easily bled from there to here.  It may come back, the posts are all still there, just hidden.  People will never agree on politics nor religion.  It seems pointless to have P&R here.  There must be a thousand sites with millions of posts where others can contribute their opinions.

I am tired.  Tired of the bickering.  Tired of the pretend name calling.  Tired of P&R leaking into the Cafe and people playing dumb as if that wasn't the intention.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Tired of P&R leaking into the Cafe and people playing dumb as if that wasn't the intention.

Again, I don’t see how closing P&R facilitates this goal. I tend to think the opposite would occur with more P&R content in the Cafe if nowhere else to post content. Is the “News” section still open?

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Again, I don’t see how closing P&R facilitates this goal. I tend to think the opposite would occur with more P&R content in the Cafe if nowhere else to post content.

People will get warned / banned if they post P&R here.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is the “News” section still open?

Yes, but I see where you're going, so it's likely that will go too.

20 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Square is the labor and finance of this site. If he doesn’t want to run a political site that is his right.  He can propose limits he wants to live with and people can decide if they want to stay and play or go elsewhere. He does not to meet the needs of everyone. 

Sorry, that is factually incorrect.  I am still the owner until SW makes the final payment on the buyback.  $0.23 CDN.  He is the Director of Operations and Shared Services though. 

• Haha 3

On 8/23/2019 at 4:03 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

There’s a lot of reasonable conversations that you’re cutting off. 

I would tend to agree. For sure, it's probably a whole lot worse on the same topics we occasionally "bicker" over, in other areas of the Internet. That's why I don't go much elsewhere..I no longer want to restart all over and figure out new players, etc.

Sadly this means, the family photos I posted...are censored.  It is my evidence to complement certain things I have remarked on.  That means the "unreasonable" conversation...could also exclude anything related to my family and occasional snippets if relevant to a topic, what some people I personally know, have done or have tried to do, despite all odds.

We have much to learn ...still ..even if in a light way here.

Somebody mentioned earlier but there is a new site we are looking to build a P&R in.  It seems like a good alternative for those that don't want to/shouldn't/can't virtually duke it out here.  There's no moderation (yet) and therefore it's a use at your own risk.  Yeah, it's pretty dead now but you can help get it going. Create the animal you desire.

http://awcg.com/downtube/index.php

3 hours ago, Dottie said:

Somebody mentioned earlier but there is a new site we are looking to build a P&R in.  It seems like a good alternative for those that don't want to/shouldn't/can't virtually duke it out here.  There's no moderation (yet) and therefore it's a use at your on risk.  Yeah, it's pretty dead now but you can help get it going. Create the animal you desire.

http://awcg.com/downtube/index.php

No, thank you. But good luck in your new venture. Building l’esprit is an enterprise, for sure. 

• Heart 1

On 8/24/2019 at 12:26 AM, Airehead said:

Square is the labor and finance of this site. If he doesn’t want to run a political site that is his right.  He can propose limits he wants to live with and people can decide if they want to stay and play or go elsewhere. He does not to meet the needs of everyone. 

I think this is fair comment but can  understand why he wouldn't want the hassle. That said I admit to being puzzled by the standards applied in this forum. This for the most part is a pleasant place, where people support each other and share their good and bad experiences......which I applaud. However, at the same time as people are swapping recipes and whatever, there have been threads running which are rampantly sexist. Threads which have objectified women to the point of merely boobs and bums and women have been referred to as "whores". I have not heard one objection from SW about this and not one objection from the women on the forum which I find very strange. When I did object I was told that this was merely joshing by the "good ole boys". 

This I admit to finding strange.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

I think this is fair comment but can  understand why he wouldn't want the hassle. That said I admit to being puzzled by the standards applied in this forum. This for the most part is a pleasant place, where people support each other and share their good and bad experiences......which I applaud. However, at the same time as people are swapping recipes and whatever, there have been threads running which are rampantly sexist. Threads which have objectified women to the point of merely boobs and bums and women have been referred to as "whores". I have not heard one objection from SW about this and not one objection from the women on the forum which I find very strange. When I did object I was told that this was merely joshing by the "good ole boys". 

This I admit to finding strange.

It takes time to be in a forum to figure out whether or not certain comments are just jokes. And if the dialogue of the commenter is generally respectful for many other topics. Over the years it's also as a Canadian tolerating certain jokes as Canucks where clearly we are seen as the lesser country. (Really?  There's probably a lot of valuable minerals buried in our vast Arctic, etc.)

I come from a family where amongst siblings we rigorously argued over an hr....yelling, etc. Any topic.  It was only when if there was kicking or pinching of other person, mother would ask us to stop.  She didn't/doesn't understand English but she didn't want anyone physically hurt.   Honest, it was probably the best way to "police" a number of children because over time they have to learn to settle those differences amongst themselves  --without parent(s) around.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

It takes time to be in a forum to figure out whether or not certain comments are just jokes. And if the dialogue of the commenter is generally respectful for many other topics. .......

I never mentioned jokes.....I'm talking about long threads showing exclusively scantily dressed women and nothing else. I was so outraged that I made a point of closely monitoring these threads and taking notes. This meant I was hours and hours doing this when I should have been correcting other things on the internet.

• Haha 2