I’m leaving the road that’s dirt.

Longjohn

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Who maintains it?  The Amish?

That section is maintained by South Vernon Township. My road has three different townships, all dirt and gravel. I’m in Fairview Township, they do the best maintenance and it’s still bad.

4 minutes ago, Further said:

Who plows the snow in the winter?

Each township plows their section. The township supervisors drive the trucks. They don’t plow until we have at least six inches of snow on the road.

1 minute ago, Further said:

Explains why you like need AWD   :nodhead:

I like AWD, you need it.

That’s what my wife says. When I was driving the 95 Accord after my wife and my son were done with it I only got stuck twice. Once when I was trying to get home from work around midnight in over a foot of snow and not plowed. I got about one mile down the two miles to our house and couldn’t go any further. The front of the car had pushed a pile of snow about waist high and it couldn’t push any more. I called my wife.and she got up and came with her CRV and drug me home like a dead dog.

The other time I was going to work and got stuck in our driveway. My Amish neighbor pulled me out with a team of draft horses.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Your road looks smoother than our gravel roads, but we only have about 3/4 mile either way to get to pavement. I've mentioned before, that essentially all of our paved roads, even the interstate are chip and seal. I would be shocked to ride anything else.

Our road varies in what it looks like. Early this spring they tried something new they put down a thick layer of milled blacktop. It looked beautiful. Then the rains came, and more rain. It washed away most of that beautiful stuff into the ditches and then the water ran across the road leaving foot deep gullies. Almost impassible. That’s why they added dirt to try to bind the stone so it doesn’t wash away.

• Sad 1

I added more gravel/dirt roads on my ride today. One of those berms they made in the road when they were grading it the other day bit me. I was riding along when something grabbed the back of my arm. I reached over with my other arm and tried to brush it off and it grabbed onto my chest. I looked down at my chest and saw it was just a giant grasshopper as I caught the berm and went down. When I got home I grabbed the garden hose and washed the blood off before I went in the house.

6C88B602-404A-40CC-9CED-08EFD8465268.thumb.jpeg.a5d414efb1bebc1cf5c930ed898c5e54.jpeg

• Sad 1