I went to the Air Show.

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Looks like a beautiful day.  Hope you had fun.

Tude and I had a great time. 

I had to pee during the Thunderbird show though. I didn't want to go to the potty hut. I was afraid a rouge F16 would spook my ass whilst mid pee.

Tude and I called those guys, ' The Bastards'. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Lovely weather for it. 

Yea, the weather was fantastic.  It got a bit hot at some moments but the clouds would cover the ball of fire.  

Once in a while a nice breeze would come through.  That was nice.

I really really enjoyed this.  I would really like to go with you and Tim next year.  I was bumbed when I found out you all were out of town.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Love me an air show. Haven’t been in a while..

I used to go to every air show I could get to.  That includes places like Cole Palen's Flying Circus in Rhinebeck NY. (Well worth going to if you haven't.).  I've been fortunate enough to be part of a couple of air shows flying RC planes before the show to keep the crowd entertained while they waited for the start.  I saw my first demonstration team back in the 50's flying F-100's over W Springfield MA.  I've always been a little airplane crazy.

• Heart 1

I haven't been to one where you can see planes on the ground..except once unintentionally.  The other Air Shows I've been to have been, well, in the air!

I was at three unintentionally.

The first was in Chicago in 1974 or 75 when I was driving back to my apartment on Lake Shore Drive and a huge traffic jam held me up.  My car began to overheat - the hot light came on - and I turned off the first possible turn and found a parking space. I decided to let the car cool while I walked back to find out why so many people where gathered along Lake Michigan.  It turned out there was an air show scheduled - the Blue Angels, etc.  So I stayed, watched it, then drove away ok.

The second was in 1991 when my father and I were returning from Bear Butte State Park to our motel near Rapid City along I-90 in South Dakota. A big shadow passed overhead. We looked up and it was a B2 Bomber, which was a new, still semi-secret plane but whose pictures had made the press, appearing to be landing to our north.  So we followed it, taking the first exit and any roads heading in that direction.  Soon the road we were on reached a locked gate with rifle wielding, armed military guards. who quickly surrounded my car.

I rolled down the window, explained we were following the B2, and was told, "This is a private entrance to Ellsworth Air Force Base.  You're not allowed to be here."

I asked if there was any entrance where we could get a look at the plane, pointing out that we were loyal Americans, I had something to with the fuel for the Tomahawk Cruise Missile and my father had lost half his left hand attacking Germans in Italy in WW2.  Looking at my dad's hand, the guard became sympathetic and said, "I'll tell you what: you can get legally close if you backtrack to I-90 and then go ..." and he gave me directions that got us a distant look through a fence at the B-2, a couple F-15's, what appeared to be an A-10 Warthog and some other aircraft we couldn't identify.

The third was right over my house a couple years ago.  The Blue Angels were going to do a show the next day over Baltimore's Inner Harbor and they were practicing the day before. I live about 5 linear miles from the Inner Harbor and the planes flew in formation, individually, twisting and turning. etc. low in the air and passing right over my house. The yards in my neighborhood were full of people watching for about an hour.  The same thing happened the next day, but for a shorter period of time.