Acceleration is pretty darn cool, isn;t it?

Ralphie

maxx and br546 and longjohn and a few others I spose know of what I speak.  Even though my 84 Dodge Daytona Turbo was a total POS, it could provide some gs!  Almost as much acceleration as a kart with a shitload more weight!  Too bad I am too wimpy to skydive cause I am sure that has some impressive acceleration.  Probably aboot 1 G! 

• Heart 2

A top fuel dragster accelerates from a standstill to 100 mph (160 km/h) in as little as 0.8 seconds (less than one third the time required by a production Porsche 911 Turbo to reach 60 mph (100 km/h))[1] and can exceed 280 mph (450 km/h) in just 660 feet (200 m). This subjects the driver to an average acceleration of about 4.0 g0 (39 m/s2) over the duration of the race and with a peak of over 5.6 g

Now you know why the interview with the driver after the finish line results in a conversation at about twice normal speed.  :nodhead:

• Haha 1

I know I am having fun with it now.  I find 0-60 in about 5 seconds to be plenty of acceleration for me.  Though most of the time I drive like an old man, I do notice people messing with me at stop lights a lot more now and occasionally I oblige.

53 minutes ago, Indy said:

I know I am having fun with it now.  I find 0-60 in about 5 seconds to be plenty of acceleration for me.  Though most of the time I drive like an old man, I do notice people messing with me at stop lights a lot more now and occasionally I oblige.

I'm more routinely interested in 50-70 mph than 0-60, though 0-60 is funner.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I'm more routinely interested in 50-70 mph than 0-60, though 0-60 is funner.

I don't have any issues accelerating 50 - 70 either.  Really kind of nice as I drive a lot of two lane roads with plenty of slow drivers and not many passing zones.  Also no shortage of idiots that like to speed up while you are passing them, probably the biggest issue with my old Mazda 3 was dealing with those idiots.

Over the years my employers have had some bad ass cars.

Ferrari 308 GTSi Quattrovalvole
Porsche 911 with modified engine and transmission (this was owned by the boss that raced Indy cars)

BMW M6 coupe with a twin turbo V8

Jaguar F Type R AWD V8

Every single one had snap your head back acceleration but the Jaguar is in another class with the AWD and launch control it will pin you to your seat.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Too bad I am too wimpy to skydive cause I am sure that has some impressive acceleration.  Probably aboot 1 G! 

It's the deceleration that you have to worry about. If things go wrong, it can be well over 100 Gs. 

It's not the fall that kills you. Rather it's the sudden stop.

• Heart 1

What amazes me these days is the power that the manufacturers get out of engines that are still durable and relatively economical.

My first car was a 1976 Chevy Nova with a 305 V8 with a 2 barrel carb.  It made 140 horsepower and 245 fl lb. of torque with a 3 speed hydromatic transmission.  I bet I was lucky to get 15 mpg.  0-60 in 11.3 and and an 18.3 second quarter mile.

My 2017 Chrysler 300C makes 292 hp and 260 ft lb or torque with an 8 speed electronic transmission.  I average around 20 mpg in town and closer to 30 on the highway.   Goes 0-60 in 6.3 and runs a 15.0 quarter according to a bit of googling.

43 minutes ago, jsharr said:

What amazes me these days is the power that the manufacturers get out of engines that are still durable and relatively economical.

My first car was a 1976 Chevy Nova with a 305 V8 with a 2 barrel carb.  It made 140 horsepower and 245 fl lb. of torque with a 3 speed hydromatic transmission.  I bet I was lucky to get 15 mpg.  0-60 in 11.3 and and an 18.3 second quarter mile.

My 2017 Chrysler 300C makes 292 hp and 260 ft lb or torque with an 8 speed electronic transmission.  I average around 20 mpg in town and closer to 30 on the highway.   Goes 0-60 in 6.3 and runs a 15.0 quarter according to a bit of googling.

It will be a shame to see all that development go to waste when electric takes over. Sort of like with crts. 

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It will be a shame to see all that development go to waste when electric takes over. Sort of like with crts. 

Tesla S with Ludicrous will hit 0-6 in around 2.5 seconds and run a 10.6 1/4 mile!  How long until we see a show room stock car hit the 9 second quarter mile?

29 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Tesla S with Ludicrous will hit 0-6 in around 2.5 seconds and run a 10.6 1/4 mile!  How long until we see a show room stock car hit the 9 second quarter mile?

exactly.  I actually can't wait to get an electric truck for towing.  Flip a switch and it will also blow the doors off that annoyingly loud raspy Mustang.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Computers.  Amazing things compared to the mechanical compromises that were necessary in the pre computer days.  Today,  infinately variable ignition timing and fuel delivery along with variable camshaft timing and the ability to turn on or off cylinders due to the load requirements.  Instrumentation that provides the optimum air to fuel ratios for the requested (drivers foot) performance.  Fuel injectors instead of carburators so that the fuel can be put into the system right where it's needed instead of having it transported there from the carburetor located someplace else.

Speaking of carburetors...........please don't.  A long time ago I actually understood primary jets, secondary jets, venturi tubes, transition slots, acceleration pumps etc.  That was enough to make your head hurt and also enough to make it impossible to cover all requirements perfectly.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Yeah, which is why I laugh when people start talking old muscle cars and how fast they are.  My Brother-in-law has a 67 GTO, 424, 3 speed manual.  Back in the day, would've been a really fast car.  Still fun as hell to drive and it feels really fast.  Get on it, sounds like all hell is breaking lose and feels like you are absolutely launching and flying, until you look in your rear view mirror and realize the mini van is having no trouble keeping up with you.

My G37, 330 Hp V6, 0-60 in 5.3, 13.5 quarter mile, top speed limited to only 130mph because I don't have the sport pack, 28 MPG highway.  I run around 20 in mixed driving.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Yes, but it can only do it once.  Porsche has had fun with that because their new one, they keep making a point that you can do multiple consecutive launches with out over heating the battery packs (why Tesla said it's limited to once) I also believe Porsche is down 2 seconds which is really pushing the limits of tires.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Yeah, which is why I laugh when people start talking old muscle cars and how fast they are.  My Brother-in-law has a 67 GTO, 424, 3 speed manual.  Back in the day, would've been a really fast car.  Still fun as hell to drive and it feels really fast.  Get on it, sounds like all hell is breaking lose and feels like you are absolutely launching and flying, until you look in your rear view mirror and realize the mini van is having no trouble keeping up with you.

My G37, 330 Hp V6, 0-60 in 5.3, 13.5 quarter mile, top speed limited to only 130mph because I don't have the sport pack, 28 MPG highway.  I run around 20 in mixed driving.

I tried to explain this to my wife and son, who wants his first car to be a V8 Challenger and they point out that my Nova and El Camino had V-8s.    305 2 barrel anemic V-8.  I would buy him a 76 Nova if I could afford one.  Mine was like $1700 when I bought it and you cant find a rusted out junker for that now.

A V-8 Challenger of today would smoke most of the cars on the road in 1979 or 1980 
https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/dodge-0-60-mph-times/

• Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I tried to explain this to my wife and son, who wants his first car to be a V8 Challenger and they point out that my Nova and El Camino had V-8s.    305 2 barrel anemic V-8.  I would buy him a 76 Nova if I could afford one.  Mine was like $1700 when I bought it and you cant find a rusted out junker for that now.

A V-8 Challenger of today would smoke most of the cars on the road in 1979 or 1980 
https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/dodge-0-60-mph-times/

A basic economy car today will smoke most of the cars on the road on the road in 79-80

My '69 Dodge truck was a lot of fun. I don't know what the 0-60 was, but I could run a sub 12 quarter mile. On the road, the highest I got it up to was close to 140mph, but I backed out when the front end started to float. I was running a stock bore 318 with 340X heads and a six-pack. Never did put it on the dyno to see what the HP was.

Acceleration is cool.  So is Jerk.

Change in Position (Distance) divided by Time is Speed or, if a Direction is specified, Velocity.

Change in Speed or Velocity divided by Time is Acceleration.

Little known, change in Acceleration divided by time is Jerk.  I don't know if being "jerked forward" is usually the result of increasing forward acceleration so changing acceleration is called Jerk, but change of acceleration being called "Jerk" is cool, too.

My Legacy puts out about 250 HP with the V6 but with the symmetrical AWD it seems every ounce of power gets put into forward motion.  I have yet been able to break a tire loose, it just lunges forward.

But my favorite is still a 1980’s Chevy Caprice Police package.  Listening to that 350 roar with lights sirens going still gives me the chills.