Damn Killer Raccoon

Ltdskilz

I'm pretty sure some killer raccoon took out the smaller of our two barn cats. Found a big patch of fur. No more cat. The larger cat was hiding in the tall grass looking pretty darn scared. She had survived over a decade avoiding hawks and coyotes and horse hoofs. This happened in the barn, so IMO that rules out the hawks and coyotes. Dang. I trapped and disposed of about four of them last year, but new ones keep coming around. I guess I should have just let them be if they weren't fighting the cats. It appears I got rid of the nice ones and invited in a mean one. A sad day in the Skilz barn.

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

I'm pretty sure some killer raccoon took out the smaller of our two barn cats. Found a big patch of fur. No more cat. The larger cat was hiding in the tall grass looking pretty darn scared. She had survived over a decade avoiding hawks and coyotes and horse hoofs. This happened in the barn, so IMO that rules out the hawks and coyotes. Dang. I trapped and disposed of about four of them last year, but new ones keep coming around. I guess I should have just let them be if they weren't fighting the cats. It appears I got rid of the nice ones and invited in a mean one. A sad day in the Skilz barn. 

I didn't realize a raccoon - even a mean one - would kill a cat.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I didn't realize a raccoon - even a mean one - would kill a cat.

I don't think most do. It's been known to happen. But I do know that 99 times out of 100 they're a lot meaner and bigger than most domestic cats. 

Years ago my dad kept a large walk in aviary in the back yard with 30+ doves.  I started finding dead doves in the cage and figured it was a raccoon so had my shotgun on the ready and the next night solved that problem.... Surprised nobody called the police.

Anyway I never knew wild animals to kill and not eat their kill but that F’r just murdered about 10 doves for sport.

Last night I had three raccoons banging around on the back deck. I turned on the lights and opened the door and told them to leave. One jumped off the deck and one went back to eating cat food. Mostly they ignored me. Then blackie the little feral cat meowed. He was on top of the picnic table watching the coons eat his food. I told him not to take that lying down, jump down and tell them to scram. Right on cue he jumped off the table and went over between the two coons still on the deck. The coons arched their backs and did a moon walk over to the other end of the deck. They kept their eye on the cat but didn’t come near the cat food. I turned out the light and went to bed.

• Haha 1