Do you volunteer?

Wilbur

I haven’t for the past decade. In the past I have volunteered for several years each:

local cycling advocacy group in Vancouver for their events. 

Women’s cycling group in Toronto - conference, workshops, rides. Part of organizing committee- Toronto

National non-profit on equity issues, race relations, immigration policy matters-Toronto

Literary & visual arts magazine on work by and industry issues involving Asian-Canadian writers & artists- Toronto

I’ve learned so much, made some great friends. I try to walk my talk.

• Heart 1

Just now, petitepedal said:

I do some things at church...oh and damn being bored president is volunteer....Otherwise my job sucks the caregiving out of me pretty much daily....

One has to love their volunteer work.  I realized that part of why I did do some of the volunteering was to meet new people/socialize.

I forgot another volunteering gig....it was for 2 years while I was in university.  For a non-profit that provided information on Third world countries, immigrant groups/issues...info. For teachers, Canadian foreign aid workers and students....who couldn’t be bothered to figure out academic boring info. Which tends to be long-winded.

17 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I went through the same thing when I tried to volunteer at my local hospital.  They don't make it easy.  Probably for the best.

That was one of the worst parts of daughter #1s medical edjumacation - all that red tape and they never really gave her anything to do.

I thought aboot the shelter dog walking thing but our nearest one is 2Far away, let alone the red tape hassle.

I used to volunteer at a shelter for at risk teens, but my work schedule and travel requirements has made a regular commitment hard to schedule. Now I rarely do more than one day commitments and discrete projects but one goal when I retire is to volunteer more regularly at a local organization where I've done one day volunteer projects.

• Heart 3

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think of it as more of a shared activity with offspring and such.  The doggy thing is volunteering, though.

Well you could lump a lot of my sports volunteering in that as well.  I wasn’t a baseball or softball dad so didn’t coach from the fence.  One I didn’t play and two they don’t need to hear another voice.

I think the coaches appreciated that and let me shag during BP and even throw BP, help work on fields and basically be an extra hand for the coach wherever I could.   They knew I wasn’t going to give advice or try to coach.

i really enjoyed the time on the field with both my kids and getting to know the other kids.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I think of it as more of a shared activity with offspring and such.  The doggy thing is volunteering, though.

I have one son left in scouting and he is in a differnet district than the one I volunteer in.  The only time Ryan attends something I am staffing is if he staffs.

That will change next year when I become the Scout Master of his troop and start doing things in his district.