Things you have learned in life..

Wilbur

You spend your whole life learning things.  What works and what doesn't, what is good for you and what isn't, how to properly spell words that have an "ei" or "ie" in them.......

Then you die.  But before you die, you try to impart what you have learned to others who still have much to learn.  Unfortunately, they mostly want to learn things for themselves.  And they do.

And so it goes.  

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

You spend your whole life learning things.  What works and what doesn't, what is good for you and what isn't, how to properly spell words that have an "ei" or "ie" in them.......

Then you die.  But before you die, you try to impart what you have learned to others who still have much to learn.  Unfortunately, they mostly want to learn things for themselves.  And they do.

And so it goes.  

I tried to impart my wisdom to you about the 2nd mouse and you gave me a confused.    :(

• Hugs 1

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

And so it goes.  

I have started to charge for imparting wisdom.  I call it "consulting" and people pay for that shit.  :) 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, wilbur said:

I have started to charge for imparting wisdom.  I call it "consulting" and people pay for that shit.  :) 

That was the amazing part of the few years that I worked as a consultant.  There are people out there willing to pay for what I know that they should be able to easily find out for themselves.

Amazing.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

That was the amazing part of the few years that I worked as a consultant.  There are people out there willing to pay for what I know that they should be able to easily find out for themselves.

Amazing.

After I retired, I was asked to return to my office as a consultant on two different occasions.  I declined each time.  I would have enjoyed the job, but not the commute.  Plus, by the time they asked, I was used to going to bed whenever and getting up whenever.  After a few years of doing that, there is no going back.   :)   

• Haha 1
  • Envious 1

I had three different positions in my 38 years with the Navy Dept.  I was appreciated for my efforts in all three positions.  But I was REALLY appreciated after I left each position.  I was never one for office politics or blowing my own horn.  I just did my job, and being a bit OCD'ish, I did it pretty well.  Only after I left each job did my bosses and coworkers realize all that I did.  Then they would try to get me to come back.  Idiots.   :)    

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

34 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I had three different positions in my 38 years with the Navy Dept.  I was appreciated for my efforts in all three positions.  But I was REALLY appreciated after I left each position.  I was never one for office politics or blowing my own horn.  I just did my job, and being a bit OCD'ish, I did it pretty well.  Only after I left each job did my bosses and coworkers realize all that I did.  Then they would try to get me to come back.  Idiots.   :)    

I can imagine that OCD was very useful at work. I only have fits of OCD. Sadly when things get most hectic my organizational ability tends to fall apart which of course makes things worser!

Serenity now. :)

29 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I can imagine that OCD was very useful at work.

Especially at my tasks as an overseer of defense contractors.  They can be a sneaky bunch.  Just kidding, most of them were great, but I was generally a big pain in their collective asses.  My attention to detail and insistence on strict adherence to contractual obligations drove them nuts at times.  :D

Others in my same sort of position would go and meet with the contractors and rubber stamp whatever the contractors did.  They were much loved.  I was not.  But I didn't mind that I was disliked by the contractors.  To me, it was a badge of honor.  It meant I was doing my job.  :) 

45 minutes ago, wilbur said:

But using more concrete and timber than a Navy dry dock gets a little 'spensive!

Yabbut, dear sir, that extra $700 will allow me to park and elevate my tank in my backyard.  I never know when @AirwickWithCheese is coming. I'm not sure if it makes a difference to him that I live outside the Seattle city limits and my home is zoned in a rural lot.  I'd put up an American flag and grow moonpies in my front yard if I thought it'd help.  So I'm looking for a tank on craigslist.  Please forward any ads my way.  Thanks.

• Heart 1