September photos

dinneR

6 hours ago, groupw said:

A woman who modeled for me said I should be on the other side of the camera some time. She wanted me to get the good feeling she had when modeling. She had done some family photography. She can compose a shot, but needed some coaching on the technical settings of the camera and understanding lighting. 

She said she learned a lot watching me work when she modeled, but we spent the afternoon last Sunday with me coaching her on using the camera with manual settings. It started a little rocky, but as the afternoon went on, I could see the lights come on for her! It was a very rewarding day! I was her primary subject. This was one of my favorites from the day. 

FA5B0B11-DCB3-49E9-B4FB-1C64CA445D18.jpeg

I used a manual camera back in the film days. I think it would be even better now that you can see what you have right away and don’t have to buy film and processing. Thank for posting your photo, I like to see what my imaginary friends look like.

ps you and your model both look great.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I used a manual camera back in the film days. I think it would be even better now that you can see what you have right away and don’t have to buy film and processing. Thank for posting your photo, I like to see what my imaginary friends look like.

Same here. Digital has been a boon for photography with it's immediate feedback of shadow detail and black background instead of having to wait for film development to see if got right. OK, they did Polaroid test prints back in the day. My first camera was a Mamyia/Sekor 1000DTL purchased in 1969. In college, while working part time in a photography store, taught darkroom techniques, lighting and composition classes, and shot weddings and some corporate/commercial stuff. Some fiends and store customers had a shock when their film of a paid gig came back blank, as trying to get 38 on a roll of 36 failed to hook to the roller. That was a lot of pressure and pursued other interest and developed as an "advanced amateur" which was great - experiment without pressure. Returned to paid photography in 2007 as fellow Realtors started seeing my listing photos and urged me to turn pro and digital alleviated my concerns. Other than models (and street photography), I hate to take pictured of people as they complain where homes and landscaped don't. Did miss one yesterday while taking photos posed above due to my reservation on taking children's pictures, but car stopped in front and kid was out with a camera taking pictures of a couple of tortoise. This kid was probably 7 or 8, and was packing a DSLR lens kit that was 1/3 his height. Guessing a Tamron/Sigma 150-600 that went from his waist to mid calf. Great to see, but didn't aske the driver (dad??) for permission to take a photo.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Thank you! When I started coaching her, I went straight to manual mode. She asked how I use the other modes and I told her I don't. They just confuse me anymore. Generally, I can walk into a location, have a pretty good idea of what f-stop and shutter speed I want to use and adjust the ISO accordingly. A couple test shots and I'm ready. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

How did you get the turtle to stay still enough for a picture?

It was a race and I had to use a really fast shutter speed to stop the action, but I prevailed.

Actually the turkeys were the hard ones. I was checking out a campground and what the electrical supply was. Happy to see a 110 in the box next to the 30 amp as will be tent camping and blow up air mattress - also have wife explore trailer and RV options in other sites before making move.  Saw the turkeys as I was driving in and got the picture. Made the loop through the campground and they were just arriving. Coming from the other direction was a group of 4 turkeys. It was like rival gangs after each other. Tried to get a shot but nasty background with the road and heavy shade requiring a slow shutter. Didn't even attempt a photo as could barely keep up to focus.

• Heart 1