Things are about to get exciting in the sailing world

jsharr

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Foiled again?

Yep.  I am wondering how these long, narrow, highly loaded hull and rigs are going to react to sudden race course manuevors.   Computer models have them going faster than the 50 cats used in the last Cup.  So closing speed of these things on a crossing will be over 100 mph.   That is crazy to me.  I used to closing speeds about a 10th of that.  Cannot imagine what it will be like to be on one of those.

https://youtu.be/rx2qG_YMrDs

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yep.  I am wondering how these long, narrow, highly loaded hull and rigs are going to react to sudden race course manuevors.   Computer models have them going faster than the 50 cats used in the last Cup.  So closing speed of these things on a crossing will be over 100 mph.   That is crazy to me.  I used to closing speeds about a 10th of that.  Cannot imagine what it will be like to be on one of those.

https://youtu.be/rx2qG_YMrDs

This is the ultimate problem with sports.  Things keep getting better till the sport is out of hand.  Race cars keep getting faster with new tech till the organizers have to take something away to slow them down.  Football players keep being bred for bigger and faster and stronger till the organizers have to protect quarterbacks from being tackled.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

This is the ultimate problem with sports.  Things keep getting better till the sport is out of hand.  Race cars keep getting faster with new tech till the organizers have to take something away to slow them down.  Football players keep being bred for bigger and faster and stronger till the organizers have to protect quarterbacks from being tackled.

It was not that long ago that CART or ChampCar came to Texas and refused to race due to the speeds they could achieve with the areo package that year.

It was a bit longer ago that one of these high dollar ultra light AC boats split in half and sank in seconds on the course.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Digital_photog said:

Someone drove by the farm with an E scow on a trailer this morning.  I thought from racing them I knew most of the E scows and owners around here.  Didn't recognize this one. A fun boat that doesn't cost the millions that the America Cup boats do.

Scows are a blast to sail!   Almost bought a E scow when I was younger.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Scows are a blast to sail!   Almost bought a E scow when I was younger.

They are. I have never owned one but have done a lot of racing on them with friends.  If I get an E scow  I wonder if @jsharr and @wilbur would come race with me.   Our local club has very good E Scow racing.

Wawasee Yacht Club.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

and their corporate sponsors sure do have money to burn.

FIFY. It’s not like there are individuals who own these boats. 

I don’t have a problem with the advancing technology. Things that are practical will trickle down to pleasure boaters in time.  But I haven’t seen a big rush for racing catamarans in my yacht club, so that is a good thing.

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t have a problem with the advancing technology. Things that are practical will trickle down to pleasure boaters in time.  But I haven’t seen a big rush for racing catamarans in my yacht club, so that is a good thing.

Got your 10,000 dollar plastic bike yet?

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Got your 10,000 dollar plastic bike yet?

But it’s different. I may sail every summer for the rest of my life and it could easily be in my 1986 made boat for the duration. Even if I someday bought a “new”boat, it’s probably already been made and being sailed, now. And it sure isn’t a 50 foot anything. And I won’t have a crew of 10 to go out.  I can’t even pretend that the AC boat would make me a better sailor the way I can a bike.

The better analogy is how F1 cars improved my sedan’s performance, and at what price.

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Most yacht clubs, as you know, will have a mix of cruisers, racer cruisers and racers in the fleet.   The high dollar boats are the play ground of the rich and famous.   I have a buddy that just moved to Seattle and there are a couple of TP52s there that do the Wed. night beer can races!  He is a North Sails / J boat instructor and crews on race boats all over the place, so he is part of the afterguard when he catches a ride.

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What's your source for the photos? We have discussed going to NZ for AC 2021, this would likely pique my wife's interest.

the book of faces and the googles

https://www.sail-world.com/news/221694/Americas-Cup-Emirates-Team-New-Zealand-reveal-AC

• Awesome 1