So ifn I were to give in to the evil empire and buy a chromebook...

Ralphie

One of these or other?

https://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/laptops/best-chromebooks-top-5-chromebooks-in-the-us-1233696

So it looks like $300 gets an i5-i7, and going down below that gets you a Celeron.  Something tells me to stay away from a Celeron.  My most demanding task is U-tube, but I'd like it to last for a few years.  #10 looks like the sweet spot of this list to me.

Disclaimer:  petite is Speedy Gonzalez compared to me when shopping. :D

signed,

Ralph Slowsky. :D

• Heart 1

I'm not a fan of Chromebooks, but it sounds like it might be a good thing for you.  I got Chromebooks for my parents because they only use computers to check Facebook, send emails, and play games.  There was no reason to get them anything more powerful.  They are very happy and have had zero problems....  I can't say that about their desktop.

I recently looked at this.  Chromebooks live in / on the cloud.   Not sure I like this.  Most have lower end graphics cards and suck at gaming.

Ended up getting my son a used Dell Inspiron with a quad core AMD (one of our office consultants used it and we got him a newer machine) that we installed an SSD in, maxed the ram and did a clean install of Windows 10

I have been absorbed by my overlords for a couple years. It takes a bit to get used to it. But I like it a lot. I wouldn't use WoScraprs Dell for a couple weeks/months. Then fire it up & take an hour for updates. I keep a USB drive handy for downloading files

This one has celery. But i like the nano edge to use all the real estate. And it's 2.7 lbs. The thing about Chromebooks is they are so cheap you can swap out pretty easily

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-Chromebook-C423NA-14-HD-Nano-Edge-Display-Intel-Processor-4GB-DDR4-64GB-eMMC-Chrome-OS/357155710?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227275587345&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=330969263647&wl4=pla-632429561420&wl5=1013962&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=357155710&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoub3gei65AIVkqDsCh0KagIzEAQYASABEgI6FvD_BwE

• Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I recently looked at this.  Chromebooks live in / on the cloud.   Not sure I like this.  Most have lower end graphics cards and suck at gaming.

Ended up getting my son a used Dell Inspiron with a quad core AMD (one of our office consultants used it and we got him a newer machine) that we installed an SSD in, maxed the ram and did a clean install of Windows 10

I wonder how much difference there is in OSes.  I like Linux for its ability to get more oot of hardware, but it is also nice to be able to run the occasional Window program.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

You would not be closer to your ultimate destination..... MacBook 

That is way frivolous for me for basically a toy and bill payer. And I have found Lubuntu to be every bit as friendly and reliable as the old 2007 Macbook.  Gotta give the Macbook major durability points though. Although the DVD drive has been dead for a few years now.  But Ubuntu can be upgraded on old hardware basically forever. The problem is websites outstrip its performance, which is where I am now with the ancient grandpa box.

I have a 2 year old version of the Acer 15 on that list.  It's my living room laptop......surfing, foruming, shopping, emailing and utubing.  The screen is nicely large and it has upward firing speakers for what it's worth.  I never use the HDMI connector and would rather have had a third USB hole as one of the two is used up by my wireless mouse that runs on the recliner arm.

It's not a serious laptop.  I still use desktops for serious.

Oh, and it's cheap.  :cheerleader:

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I have a 2 year old version of the Acer 15 on that list.  It's my living room laptop......surfing, foruming, shopping, emailing and utubing.  The screen is nicely large and it has upward firing speakers for what it's worth.  I never use the HDMI connector and would rather have had a third USB hole as one of the two is used up by my wireless mouse that runs on the recliner arm.

edit:  Con.......I don't like chicklet keys as I'm a fast touch typist and the form factor of this keyboard drives me crazy.  I keep getting commas instead of periods.

1 minute ago, Dottie said:

I mean if you just want an http terminal to the web, it's tough to beat. The older I get, that's almost all I use computers at home for.

That is basically all I need.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

USB hubs are cheap and simple enough.

19 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I wonder how much difference there is in OSes.  I like Linux for its ability to get more oot of hardware, but it is also nice to be able to run the occasional Window program.

That is way frivolous for me for basically a toy and bill payer. And I have found Lubuntu to be every bit as friendly and reliable as the old 2007 Macbook.  Gotta give the Macbook major durability points though. Although the DVD drive has been dead for a few years now.  But Ubuntu can be upgraded on old hardware basically forever. The problem is websites outstrip its performance, which is where I am now with the ancient grandpa box.

this is aimed at students but gives a good overview

https://lifehacker.com/are-chromebooks-good-laptops-for-students-1714671981