Help needed - hearing aids.

groupw

25 minutes ago, groupw said:

I am at the point of admitting I need hearing aids. There are so many ways to go. I don’t know where to begin. What are the experiences of those of you who use them?

No direct experience of my own, but one of the two hard cases I work with has finally found a solution, and the other is on the way. So apparently there have been a lot of recent technology advances. 

My wife is frustrated because her mother refuses to consider one.  Apparently her mother’s sister has found a good one but it requires replacing a very cheap battery every day or so because of the very small size and that is a turnoff for her mother for some reason, even though the actual cost is snot that bad because we are talking something like a couple cents each. 

I began with the inner ear model and now have the in ear and behind ear electronics.  My only problem with the current ones, is that I sweat profusely when working or cycling and they sometimes cease to work with the damp environment.  Airehead did some more extensive research on types and uses in the past, so I hope she chimes into the conversation. 

One friend has hearing aids that he charges each night, thus not requiring battery replacement.

They really make a difference if you need them. I had gotten to the point that it was worthless for me to go to meetings, as I could not hear what was being said.  Yes, many available now can be adjusted to center on certain locations and even block out some background noise.

• Heart 2

I have extremely limited hearing in one ear from an injury many years ago.  My hearing aids pick up sound from the left and transmit it to the right side, so I basically hear everything in one ear.  Phonak Bi-Cros.  They sit behind my ear with a tiny speaker that goes inside my ear.  They are actually pretty comfortable, except when wearing glasses for many hours.

I'm on my second pair (lost one and had to replace both).  Within the about 5 year time, the technology improved noticeably.

They are expensive, way overpriced, I'm sure.  I paid $4K, but I get 2 year replacement warranty, free lifetime batteries and quarterly cleanings.

There are cheap ones, but there's a huge difference.  Think about the difference between crappy stereo speakers and good stereo speakers.  The biggest problem with hearing loss isn't volume, it's clarity.  You tend to lose higher frequencies more, that's the part that lets you understand words.  So cheap aids just amplify muddy sound, especially in noisy atmosphere, you can hear, but not a chance you'll understand a word.  They just make the mud louder.  The expensive hearing aids are extremely clear.  And, they are programmable to your specific needs.  I have 2 settings.  One that is tuned similar to what most people use as their "music" setting is what I use all the time.  The other is more similar to a "conversation" setting, with brighter highs.  I use this for noisy environments where I need more clarity, and for hockey, because it makes skates sound really different than their actual sound so I can tell left from right (the right ear still hears).  Most of them can be infinitely tuned with an app on your phone, and also function as a bluetooth headset (also might work with your TV).  Mine doesn't because of the transmit/receive from left to right.

To get the right hearing aids and get them properly set up, don't just go to a mall hearing aid store.  Find a real audiologist.  No sense spending half the amount but just getting louder mud.  You want to hear and understand, you'll have to pay what that costs.

That's my experience.  My mother goes to the same doctor, her problem is the normal bilateral loss for an 87 year old woman.  She can't carry a conversation when she isn't wearing them, and definitely hears better with them, but we still sometimes have to speak loud and repeat words.

Just be prepared for getting used to them.  The world will suddenly be annoyingly loud, and you will hear background noise you didn't realize was there.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

First thing first see an audiologist that is not connected to a brand or line of hearing aids.  Get a referral from your primary care if you can.  Then when you get to dispensing prepare to be overwhelmed.  I have worn every kind of aids over the last 30 years and they all can be sold as the best.  completely in canal, in canal, behind ear, etc...

What type of hearing is most difficult for you?  background noise, meetings, phone?

What matters to you? Music, conversations 1 to 1, hearing at worship?

Once you know what is important then you can use a checklist to see which ones have it.  For example, I need a directionally mike given all the meetings I attend.  I recently have had to add a table mic but that is more about my specific type of hearing loss.

Things to consider and put on your check list.  I think I stole this from the Mayo clinic but have used it for years.

Noise reduction. All hearing aids have some amount of noise reduction available. The amount of noise reduction varies.

Directional microphones. These are aligned on the hearing aid to provide for improved pick up of sounds coming from in front of you with some reduction of sounds coming from behind or beside you. Some hearing aids are capable of focusing in one direction. Directional microphones can improve your ability to hear when you're in an environment with a lot of background noise.

Rechargeable batteries. Some hearing aids have rechargeable batteries. This can make maintenance easier for you by eliminating the need to regularly change the battery.

Telecoils. Telecoils make it easier to hear when talking on a telecoil-compatible telephone. The telecoil eliminates the sounds from your environment and only picks up the sounds from the telephone. Telecoils also pick up signals from public induction loop systems that can be found in some churches or theaters, allowing you to hear the speaker, play or movie better.

Wireless connectivity. Increasingly, hearing aids can wirelessly interface with certain Bluetooth-compatible devices, such as cellphones, music players and televisions. You may need to use an intermediary device to pick up the phone or other signal and send it to the hearing aid.

Remote controls. Some hearing aids come with a remote control, so you can adjust features without touching the hearing aid.

Direct audio input. This feature allows you to plug in to audio from a television, a computer or a music device with a cord.

Variable programming. Some hearing aids can store several preprogrammed settings for various listening needs and environments.

Environmental noise control. Some hearing aids offer noise cancellation, which helps block out background noise. Some also offer wind noise reduction.

Synchronization. For an individual with two hearing aids, the aids can be programmed to function together so that adjustments made to a hearing aid on one ear (volume control or program changes) will also be made on the other aid, allowing for simpler control.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My wife’s grandad just bought new $6,000 hearing aids two weeks before he died. There is no market for slightly used hearing aides.

oh but there is definitely a need among the poor.  I could put them to immediate use by reprogramming for a student

• Awesome 1

Also, like others have said-- they are annoying as all get out to get used to wearing.  Also for me a little scary.  I never new the slding doors like at the grocery store made noise.  First time I heard that, I was sure the door was falling off the track.

Thanks! I was looking for independent opinions to a certain degree because it seems all the audiologists around here are associated with a brand. I have a couple grand set aside in my HSA and working at the state fair this year made it very apparent my hearing loss is starting to interfere with my work. I need to be able filter background noise better and hear conversation directed towards me. Sound quality is a big deal because I love to listen to music. 

My SIL got some a couple years ago. Hers are programmable from her phone, she can listen to music with them etc. She is going to send me more information on hers. I just am looking for more opinions. Wind noise reduction would be great on the bike and in the Miata. If any of you have ones that can play music from the phone, does it interfere with trying to hear other things when needed?

32 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I wear these while working out, other than some sweat related slippage, they work great.

Yes, but that is not an environment where  you have things grabbing at wires, and many (not me) would probably not be comfortable with these in a professional setting. Hell, I gather some folks get as excited about hearing aid color as they do color of glass frames.  I could give a hoot on color as long as they are functional. Again, different strokes for different folks.

• Heart 3

How severe is your hearing loss and what does the curve look like on the report? Also how is your middle ear function?  These are all factors in which hearing aids you should consider. If you just need boost in the conversational ranges you will have more choices.